• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2015
    Lexington
    I am helping to plan Revere's Riders biathlons in Kentucky and Indiana. Two Hoosier locations have been proposed so far; Harrison and Birdseye. I am open to other locales, especially along the I65 corridor south of Indy. These will be a little different than the tactical Run n Guns people have been running in Kentucky, and they will be more do-able for the majority of folks, especially for those just starting out. No special equipment will be necessary. I am still working on various aspects such as the targets and course of fire, but right now my thinking is as follows:

Proposed Revere's Riders "Summer Biathlon" (modified Olympic-type biathlon - shooting interspersed with running)
    Firearms: .22 rimfire rifles only; iron sights and optics permitted, any action permitted
    Target Distance: 50 meters max
    Running Distance: 4 x 1.25K loops = 5K total
    There will be 10 firing points spaced about 8' apart
    Each competitor will be assigned a firing point and corresponding target
    Targets will be reactive so you will know instantly if you hit or not
    Shooters will use 15 rounds total in 3 magazines of 5 rounds each
    Competitors will safe their rifle and leave it grounded at their firing points; they will not carry rifles while they are running
    Competitors will be organized into flights of 10, and will be sent out at 1 minute intervals

Course of fire is as follows:
    Run 1st 1.25K loop
    Shoot 1 round at each of 5 targets from standing, unsupported
    Safe and ground rifle
    Run 100 yard penalty loop for each target missed
    Run 2nd 1.25K loop
    Shoot 1 round at each of 5 targets from seated, unsupported
    Safe and ground rifle
    Run 3rd 1.25K loop
    Shoot 1 round at each of 5 targets from prone, unsupported
    Safe and ground rifle
    Run 4th 1.25K loop and finish

Stay tuned for more information.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Bless you. It sounds fun. I think since only 5% of people run, and only 5% of the 50% of people who own guns* will compete in a match of any kind, the venn-diagram intersection of these two groups leaves a small potential participant pool. But that does not mean you shouldn't do it. It will likely grow its own participant pool, once people see other people having fun at it. (If it was done with Mosin-Nagants and people could ride 4-wheelers between strings, you'd have to limit entries).

*obviously I'm making these stats up...but you feel me here.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    I've been wanting to do something like this for a long time at Riley Conservation Club, near Terre Haute IN. We have an ample 25y & 50M backstops (each one is 30 feet wide). If our location is something you can benefit from, send me a pm and we'll try to work it out. The local road runners club and Indiana State University here may offer some competitors, especially if some shooters could share a rifle.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I've been wanting to do something like this for a long time at Riley Conservation Club, near Terre Haute IN. We have an ample 25y & 50M backstops (each one is 30 feet wide). If our location is something you can benefit from, send me a pm and we'll try to work it out. The local road runners club and Indiana State University here may offer some competitors, especially if some shooters could share a rifle.

I should get out to Riley sometime. This might bring me out. I may also try IDPA now that you guys are starting it up.

Top Bottom