• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    [FONT=&quot]The Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society[/FONT][FONT=&quot] was organized by Bill Proctor (alias Ottawa Creek Bill) in 2007 as a posse of the National Congress of Old West Shootists (NCOWS). As an NCOWS posse, the Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society holds Western Action Shoots at the range of the Thunder Creek Longrifles near Martinsville, IN., on the fourth Saturday of each month from March through October.

[/FONT]
    About

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    It is. For the price of the shoot, they also provide lunch. I recommend that anyone interested in Cowboy Action Shooting come out and just see what it's all about.

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    How is NCOWS different from SASS?

NCOWS strives for more historical accuracy in the firearms that are used and clothing worn. NCOWS will not allow firearms to be modified or "short-stroked" for speed. SASS guidelines are more open. It also has been my experience that SASS stages have the targets closer. At the NCOWS shoots I have been to, you have to use the sights. I enjoy both SASS and NCOWS. If you are interested, I recommend attending a few shoots to see what goes on and what gear folks use. Many of us are in both SASS and NCOWS. Both have policies to get you shooting while you build your arsenal. Sassnet.com is an active website and people will gladly answer any and all questions. Cascity.com has an NCOWS section. Both have rulebooks in .pdf format. The categories can get a little confusing and the firearms change for the different categories. SASS Classic Cowboy category is close to the requirements for NCOWS. If you have specific questions, I can try to answer them. But again, it would be best to attend matches to see what it's all about. If you let folks know in advance, they can bring extra firearms for you to use for the match. You would have to reimburse them for the ammo and the cost of the match. Usually, a match includes 120 rifle/pistol shots and 20-25 shotgun.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Thanks, what you told me was enough to give me a good idea of the differences between the two.

It was just a general interest question. I have no intent to start either sport. The clothing alone would bankrupt me, especially for NCOWS. Even the makers who have big and tall stuff don't have much if anything in my sizes, so it would have to be tailored.

It's fun to watch for a while, though!

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Thanks, what you told me was enough to give me a good idea of the differences between the two.

It was just a general interest question. I have no intent to start either sport. The clothing alone would bankrupt me, especially for NCOWS. Even the makers who have big and tall stuff don't have much if anything in my sizes, so it would have to be tailored.

Be an Indian. Breech cloth and mocs.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    i was just having a bit of fun at my brother's expense. I was one of those kids that wanted to be a cowboy when I grew up (I haven't yet grown up). Try this type of shooting. It is great fun. 99% of the people I've run into at a cowboy shoot were genuinely good folks.

Plus, great reason to get more guns!

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville

I fully understand. I have spent $3200 in guns in the past two months. $2200 of them were the "wrong" guns and can't be used at NCOWS... I am going to have my SASS Vaqueros changed from Montado hammers to regular hammers so I can use them at NCOWS. And I just today ordered a HRA Henry "Original" 1860 rifle in .45 Long Colt, so there's another $1600 on the CC. (Which is why my camera and AR on up for sale in the classifieds...) So, to recap, I've gone nuts and bought almost $5,000 worth of guns since March. And I still don't have something for long range matches, the right shotgun for Wild Bunch (Win 97), or a pocket pistol for other side matches. Not to mention, if I want to play in the Josey Wales side matches, I need four 1860 Army percussion pistols. On top of that, I would like a pair of period correct boots that only cost around $300... Did I mention I also bought a pair of Wollies chaps that it's now too hot to wear? I think I need to find a plasma center that pays well to fund all of this.

Top Bottom