• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Continuing to refine the format to meet shooters desire and popularity of this event. Last week, we went to a swinger format that allowed us to run much more efficiently. In that vein, future events will have the 75yard target replaced with targets at 50 meters (55 yards). This will let us have another set of targets with a sand backstop, and at a distance that is closer to standard distances at all ranges. The 55 yard targets will be sized accordingly, we're looking at a couple sizes of just under and just over one inch. This keeps in line with our concept that a 2 moa gun will be competitive and hit lots of targets. We expect to be ready for this at our next match.

July events will have a weeknight match on Wednesday July 18, 6pm start time. Also a weekend match on Sunday July 22, 10:30 am start time.

We are in the process of building our 200 yard sand backstop, and expect to use it at upcoming events.

See you at the range!!

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Riley Conservation Club

Hawkeye7br, am i understanding correctly that we will be shooting 4 distances? 55, 110, 165, & 200yd?

Good question, thanks.

To clarify, we will still run 2 courses of fire. Standard will have targets at 55, 110, & 165 yards. Master will remain as is with targets at 110, 165, & 200 yards.

Shooters can continue to run more than one gun. This allows shooting buddies to each bring a gun, then trade, for their 2nd entry. Or they can prep a 2nd gun of their own.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    So what size are the targets at each distance?

15/16" and 1.125" at 55 yards.
    110 yards= assorted sizes, about 2"x3" up to about the size of a tennis ball, also a pop can laying on it's side.
    165 yards= big target is about 5" high and 10" wide. other targets are about the size of a softball or big naval orange.

22 only, no 22 mag or 17 caliber anything

rala

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    Evansville
    Thanks- Sounds like a lot of fun. If my schedule opens up I'l come out to observe on the 18th and shoot on the 22nd. I suspect the gun I want to use doesn't have the right optic to resolve those small targets (3x9x40).

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Someone finally ordered a decent scope (Vortex Diamondback Tactical 3-9X 40mm), rings, and a new base for his Savage Mk II SV FR.

How much trouble is it to haul the old/fat/crippled guy prone bench to the firing line?

Okay to shoot a match with a silencer? (I'm going to zero with it on).

blkrifle

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    terre haute
    Suppressor is fine.
    We allow shooting from the benches that are on the firing line.
    Bi-pod or backpack. No sandbags

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I've been telling you that for a year, but when Steve says it, NOW you listen? Reminds me of my ex-wife....blah, blah, blah......:dunno:

Apologies! I do not remember you telling me that, but it doesn't mean that it did not happen!

Apologies!

Scope, base, and rings arrived today, courtesy of A&A Optics. I need to get it mounted, zeroed, and work on dopes for my notebook.

I'll be using CCI 40 sub-sonic lead HP. Is that a reasonable choice? I know it depends on what shoots well from my gun, but it's what works in m 22/45 well, so I'm standardizing on it.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Thanks- Sounds like a lot of fun. If my schedule opens up I'l come out to observe on the 18th and shoot on the 22nd. I suspect the gun I want to use doesn't have the right optic to resolve those small targets (3x9x40).

9x should be fine for your first outing, but maybe thin for ongoing use. You will just have to see. The thing to go by is not whether you can "see" the target. It is, can you call shots with that magnification, without having to rely solely on seeing the bullet splash if you miss. It's nice to know that you missed "low," for example, by looking at the sand splash. But you need to know why. Did you pull it low at the moment of shot release? Or is your sight mark genuinely low, and an adjustment is needed? You need sufficient magnification to resolve that difference, otherwise, you will be chasing the splashes. You can see the targets with 4x. But I found 7x to be a little low for precise shot calls (ie, not relying entirely on the splash). 12x works nice. I wouldn't want to go too much lower. Of course, everybody can be different. I just found that shooting 7x, my eyes could not accurately compare the reticle lift vs where the splash ended up.

And Rich is right, the target moa matters. For example, I have found 4x to be ok to 400 yards...if the target is 4 moa. But you are getting some targets smaller than that here, and you want good, individual shot calls, not "chasing the splash."

Hope that was more helpful than it sounded :rolleyes:

PS - I plan to be there the 18th, and you are welcome to shoot my gun on the off relay, if you wold like to make your first visit more valuable than just watching (subject to the, "if you beat me with my own gun, I get half" rule!)

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    9x should be fine for your first outing, but maybe thin for ongoing use. You will just have to see. The thing to go by is not whether you can "see" the targes. It is, can you call shots with that magnification, without having to rely on seeing the bullet splash if you miss. It's nice to know that you missed "low," for example, by looking at the sand splash. But you need to know why. Did you pull it low at the moment of shot release? Or is your sight mark genuinely low, and an adjustment is needed? You need sufficient magnification to resolve that difference. You can see the targets with 4x. But I found 7x to be a little low for precise shot calls (ie, not relying entirely on the splash). 12x works nice. I wouldn't want to go too much lower. Of course, everybody can be different. I just found that shooting 7x, my eyes could not accurately compare the reticle lift vs where the splash ended up.

And Rich is right, the target moa matters. For example, I have found 4x to be ok to 400 yards...if the target is 4 moa. But you are getting some targets smaller than that here, and you want good, individual shot calls, not "chasing the splash."

I'm not familiar with how precision rifle shooters use the term "calling the shot," but I am for pistols. For pistols, you call the shot based on the front sight position relative to the rear notch as the muzzle rises in recoil. Wouldn't calling the shots with a rifle be the same? Noting the position of the reticle relative to the target as it starts to move in recoil? If you can see the reticle itself and you can see the target well enough to see it behind the reticle, isn't that enough to call the shot?

Now, verifying point of impact by looking through the scope and examining the target is obviously something that could require more magnification, but if that's not what I recognize as calling the shot.

Educate me!

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    I'm not familiar with how precision rifle shooters use the term "calling the shot," but I am for pistols. For pistols, you call the shot based on the front sight position relative to the rear notch as the muzzle rises in recoil. Wouldn't calling the shots with a rifle be the same? Noting the position of the reticle relative to the target as it starts to move in recoil? If you can see the reticle itself and you can see the target well enough to see it behind the reticle, isn't that enough to call the shot?

Now, verifying point of impact by looking through the scope and examining the target is obviously something that could require more magnification, but if that's not what I recognize as calling the shot.

Educate me!

I'm not really a rifle shooter, but that's what it means. Can you see the precise spot where the front sight of your uspsa gun lifted off, of a four inch high ram at 165 yards? Me neither. That's why magnification matters. Unlike most short range pistol shooting, this requires a LOT of sight-clicking to get on target. And - since these aren't paper targets and you will never walk downrange to score - if you miss, being able to see the splash of that miss in the sand target bunker, in real time, relative to where the reticle lifted, is key. It's the only feedback you will get.

If the splash was just off the edge, and you saw that your pulse beat put it there, that's very different than the same splash from a dead-calm reticle. In this match, it's not quite a pulse-beat level of precision that's needed. But in my experience, for my 49 yo eyes, a 7x scope just doesn't seem to get me there. For many of the targets, the best it tells me is about which quadrant of the target I was in.

Last edited:

Litlratt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Terre Haute
    Calling your shot with a rifle is more than where the reticle was at at the time of the shot.
    If you are able to concentrate on the reticle and see what direction, and how fast in that direction the reticle moves, then your calls will be more accurate.
    Higher magnifications make this an easier task.

blacknwhite

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 6, 2016
    southwest
    I'm in.....hopefully for both. Haven't made it this year yet but last year was a lot of fun. Hopefully I can battle for another win. I'll be bringing a new ruger precision rimfire. Curious to see how it does. Initial testing seems promising.

rala

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    Evansville
    9x should be fine for your first outing, but maybe thin for ongoing use. You will just have to see. The thing to go by is not whether you can "see" the target. It is, can you call shots with that magnification, without having to rely solely on seeing the bullet splash if you miss. It's nice to know that you missed "low," for example, by looking at the sand splash. But you need to know why. Did you pull it low at the moment of shot release? Or is your sight mark genuinely low, and an adjustment is needed? You need sufficient magnification to resolve that difference, otherwise, you will be chasing the splashes. You can see the targets with 4x. But I found 7x to be a little low for precise shot calls (ie, not relying entirely on the splash). 12x works nice. I wouldn't want to go too much lower. Of course, everybody can be different. I just found that shooting 7x, my eyes could not accurately compare the reticle lift vs where the splash ended up.

PS - I plan to be there the 18th, and you are welcome to shoot my gun on the off relay, if you wold like to make your first visit more valuable than just watching (subject to the, "if you beat me with my own gun, I get half" rule!)

Thanks for the offer to shoot your gun.
    My concern is being able to see the target clearly enough to tell if the miss was me twitching or a bad wind call. Also with this 3x9 reticle I'm going to have to figure out some combination of zero, holdover without covering the target with the reticle, and turret cranking. So the plan is to see what other people are using, ask questions.

Thanks Bob

Top Bottom