• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Dumb question in regards to Cowboy style shooting contests.

I've seen the cowboy shooting stuff mentioned a lot.

Now there is no way I would be good enough to compete in one in the next 30 years but I'd love to watch. Are they generally open to the public to come and spectate?

Last edited:

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville

Now there is no way I would be good enough to compete in one in the next 30 years but I'd love to watch. Are they generally open to the public to come and spectate?

You are good enough to shoot in them.

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI

one thing to remember, EVERYONE was a new shooter at one time.
    everyone, i mean EVERYONE makes mistakes, misses targets, ect. dont let it bother you.

ive shot USPSA for 25 years,
    am i any "good"? NO
    will i get any better? probably NOT

shooting competition is a game, it's suppose to be fun.

do i still have fun? hell yea !

when i got started, i went to a couple matches as a spectator, saw how things were done, talked to a few shooters, at my 1st USPSA match, the match director put me in a squad with several master and GM shooters. watching them really helped with my own confidence, and took the "jitters" away. you'll probably find that competitive shooters are very friendly and helpful to new shooters.

:cheers:

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    everyone, i mean EVERYONE makes mistakes, misses targets, ect. dont let it bother you.

am i any "good"? NO

when i got started, i went to a couple matches as a spectator, saw how things were done, talked to a few shooters, at my 1st USPSA match, the match director put me in a squad with several master and GM shooters. watching them really helped with my own confidence, and took the "jitters" away. you'll probably find that competitive shooters are very friendly and helpful to new shooters.

Thanks, right now im mostly just interested in maybe going to a match to watch.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

am i any "good"? NO

:yesway:

jamesb

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 5, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I have shot in clubs in several states. All have been welcoming to new shooters and spectators, just bring eye and ear protection. Most clubs have members that will offer to let you shoot their guns to try it out. Just go to a match.
    Big Whiskey Jim

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    None of these shooting sports are very difficult. I shoot several. The targets are close and pretty big. If you slow down a little, there is no trouble hitting the targets. Speed is the issue in most of them. The only difficult shooting sport I've seen and done is Bullseye. It is tough to shoot accurately at 50 yards, one-handed. It is humbling, but it makes you a better shooter in all other shooting sports. The guns needed are a little specialized, too.

The 1st cowboy match I entered, over 20 years ago, I did not have a rifle yet and only had one SA revolver. I had never even seen a cowboy match. Shooters were more than eager to loan me the guns I needed. I shot the entire match and ended up about the middle of the pack. It was lots of fun and it even got my wife interested. We still shoot cowboy action.

Go to watch, but maybe during or after the match someone might let you try a gun or two. Maybe even let you shoot the final stage. We do that at our club. That's all it will take to get you hooked. Hope you find a match near you. Don't be shy about trying out some guns, if offered. Good luck.

Top Bottom