Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 37
  1. #11
    Plinker Good on paper's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Iíve been stuck in Texas for the last year and while I have not been able to make a match one of the locals was telling me that they occasionally run a head to head steel match.
    20 to 30 steel targets set up identically left and right with the stop plates that drop overlapping so the faster shooters plate will be on the bottom.
    They run a double elimination and the round count can be pretty high and most of the steel doesnít fall so reset time is limited.
    It sounded like a lot of fun and Iíd never heard of anything like it before
    TY104591

  2. #12
    Master Twangbanger's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Good on paper View Post
    Iíve been stuck in Texas for the last year and while I have not been able to make a match one of the locals was telling me that they occasionally run a head to head steel match.
    20 to 30 steel targets set up identically left and right with the stop plates that drop overlapping so the faster shooters plate will be on the bottom.
    They run a double elimination and the round count can be pretty high and most of the steel doesnít fall so reset time is limited.
    It sounded like a lot of fun and Iíd never heard of anything like it before
    Having a hard time envisioning this. How does it work?

  3. #13
    Hop
    Hop is offline
    Master Hop's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Good on paper View Post
    Iíve been stuck in Texas for the last year and while I have not been able to make a match one of the locals was telling me that they occasionally run a head to head steel match.
    20 to 30 steel targets set up identically left and right with the stop plates that drop overlapping so the faster shooters plate will be on the bottom.
    They run a double elimination and the round count can be pretty high and most of the steel doesnít fall so reset time is limited.
    It sounded like a lot of fun and Iíd never heard of anything like it before
    Fall Creek Valley does this every 1st & 3rd of the month. It's a mirrored course of fire with about half that number of targets though. Normally ends with a dueling tree. Sometime they do round limits. It's very informal & fun. Open to non-members too. Check the calendar for times. $5 for members. Not sure about non-members $. There's one next Friday.

    Fall Creek Valley Conservation Club

  4. #14
    Plinker Good on paper's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Hop View Post
    Fall Creek Valley does this every 1st & 3rd of the month. It's a mirrored course of fire with about half that number of targets though. Normally ends with a dueling tree. Sometime they do round limits. It's very informal & fun. Open to non-members too. Check the calendar for times. $5 for members. Not sure about non-members $. There's one next Friday.

    Fall Creek Valley Conservation Club
    Nice! Iíll definitely check that out when I get back in town.
    I found a YouTube video that looks like what I was describing
    https://youtu.be/0y14FH9D2ts
    TY104591

  5. #15
    Master riverman67's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Sounds like a shoot off with more targets
    Luddite Crumudgeon #1

  6. #16
    Marksman romack991's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    https://www.instagram.com/p/BVP-84UA...=1d7uimyl1p25e

    I've thought about setting up a shoot off or duelling tree competition after our Steel Challenge match. You can handy cap based on division and classification. I had a lot of fun with the 2 gun shoot off. (https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...7&id=180600627) The trick is to make it somewhat competitive for everyone. It's not that interesting if it's extremely lopsided. Shooting directly against someone is different than just being on the clock and comparing scores afterwards.

    We used to have a head to head shooting at Warsaw's Wednesday night league. It was random draw and just for fun. Thinking about it, it would have been interesting to have a "list" like in Street Outlaws. Where everyone is ranked and you work to move up and if you lose, you go down the list. Do random draw for a while, then at the end, let people challenge for spots. Something a little different and people might work to improve. Or at least buy more stuff trying to improve.

  7. #17
    Master riverman67's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    It does sound like fun
    The trick is in the handicapping
    Heads up you will kick my ass every time
    But the handicapping can go too far the other way as well
    Luddite Crumudgeon #1

  8. #18
    Marksman romack991's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by riverman67 View Post
    It does sound like fun
    The trick is in the handicapping
    Heads up you will kick my ass every time
    But the handicapping can go too far the other way as well
    Yeah, I think it's better to not handicap enough compared to over handicapping. The best shooters should still be able to win. Just not a free pass. Usually irons gets a plate advantage over optics. I would start with one plate for every classification difference after one. Ie M vs A, equal, M vs B one plate, M vs C two plates. I like the mandatory reload at some point after the first shot and before the stop plate. Not sure on PCC, probably make them start with the gun on a barrel and one plate disadvantage over pistol optics, two for pistol irons. The amount of plates matters too since that gives you more time to overcome someone's handicap advantage. 8 to 10 plates per side seems like a good amount.

    Kind of hard to do as a stand alone match since there is a lot of waiting. After a match is difficult since we are limited on number of bays. Thought about doing it as a fundraiser on a fifth Sunday and having a cookout, and other bays setup with different types of random activities. That would be fun but not sure how we'd structure it with ROs, etc.

  9. #19
    Plinker Good on paper's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    It sounds like there is some interest in this.
    Could you you do a magazine capacity limit to somewhat level the field? 8 round max would include the single stack and wheelgun guys. 10 targets would force a reload
    TY104591

  10. #20
    Grandmaster Coach's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Good on paper View Post
    It sounds like there is some interest in this.
    Could you you do a magazine capacity limit to somewhat level the field? 8 round max would include the single stack and wheelgun guys. 10 targets would force a reload
    I do not limit the capacity of the magazines in the carry gun matches but require a reload after every six rounds. I did this to eliminate the excuses for the wheel gun crowd and the small gun crowd. To be honest I hated doing it. But it is working out. The low capacity guns are not the ones winning the match or even placing at the top. I think the FBI calls that a clue but hard core believers do not want to hear facts.

    There are many affordable hi cap guns available in this day and age. If your gun puts you at a handicap why would you carry it? If you are going to competition why take a gun that puts you at a disadvantage? It is fine if you want to do so it is your choice, your match and your life. Don't blame me or handicap me or anyone for carrying good stuff. If you want to go shoot with your stuff then do it. But don't ask for the game to be adjusted to you are able to compete.

    Like Jerry says if you want to get to the next level be the first one on the range and the last to leave.
    No one is stronger or more dangerous than the man who can harness his emotions.

    www.BrightFirearmsTraining.com

    abright@ccrtc.com


Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •