• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Something pretty cool has happened around Central IN recently (specifically Riley CC), which I think deserves mention. A couple match directors in different disciplines have innovated new match formats derived from existing ones, that I think show great promise and ingenuity. Rich Hawkins and Aron Bright (aka Coach) have started up long-range rimfire silhouette and "Carry Gun" matches, respectively, that are different from anything previously existing.

The rimfire silhouette events are basically like an "F-class" rimfire event, but shot on metallic silhouettes from 50 to 200 yards across-the-course, and requiring the shooter to "run the knobs" on their scopes and work sight marks across different distances. Due to the rainbow trajectory of rimfire guns, it uses a substantial portion of the elevation range of your scope, and is therefore somewhat like an Appleseed highpower KD event squeezed into a 50-shot box of rimfire ammo, with targets that clank and don't need to be reset or walked-down and scored.

For his part, Coach started up Carry Gun matches shot on a HOT (by God!) RANGE! No, lightning bolts didn't rain down out of the sky, and the insurance company hasn't canceled the policy of the club (that I've heard of). Again this is derived from current USPSA formats, with standard targets and timing/scoring method, nothing new there, but with stage round counts more tailored toward the IDPA end of the spectrum, and you show up hot, run hot, and leave hot. Best of all, it's done in a way that doesn't kill an entire day for the competitor (if the prospect of 5 hours - for 3 minutes of trigger time - is keeping you away from USPSA matches, for example).

Neither of these require specialized equipment, anybody can stomach the round counts, they are derived from proven, existing formats (no earth-shattering new skillsets or administrative procedures to be learned), and neither of them requires more than 3 hours (at most) of the participants' time. In the case of the Carry Gun match, you walk away with increased hands-on time with your primary carry weapon, gained under a fun atmosphere with a small amount of pressure added to make it real. In the case of the silhouette matches, you walk away (* after putting in a little work) with a worked-out rimfire rifle that can kill any (small) varmint from 25 to 200 yards on the first shot (with reasonable range estimation and decent-quality subsonic ammo, of course). Both these matches are win-win events from a practical perspective. Both started with an idea.

It strikes me this is exactly the kind of thing the shooting sports need, to get more people off the couch. Indiana is a pretty good place to be a shooter. A sincere thank-you to both of these "switched-on" match directors for using their heads and following up on an idea!

So how about it INGO...what are your ideas for new, accessible event formats that could be started up at existing ranges, which meet a need not currently being met? Thinking about something new, as opposed to just adding different firearm divisions to already-existing matches?

Last edited:

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    The popularity of Run-n-Gun events is rising rapidly. Not held at a "normal" range though. Carry your rifle and pistol + all of your ammo. Safe your guns and hit the trail for a 5k or 10k. They are a blast. Think Warrior Dash with shooting stages. :ar15::shoot:

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Sounds great. The length of pistol matches, for the actual amount of trigger time, can be excruciating...
    When I can schedule a match at RCC the wait time is limited. Come in and from first shot to last 30 minutes or so, and you don't have to paste. You won't beat that anywhere.

I appreciate the kind words as well.

Doyle23

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2018
    New Castle
    Coach is a very good individual to be leading the "hot" range matches! We only have to worry about the very few individuals that are, should I say, on the dark side?!! With this huge sport there needs to be upgrades and advances! Coach is one that's not afraid to make it happen!! Keep it up!! Let's keep advancing to show the "world" (or liberals lol) we have good sense and know what's right and safe!! Keep going!!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Coach is a very good individual to be leading the "hot" range matches! We only have to worry about the very few individuals that are, should I say, on the dark side?!! With this huge sport there needs to be upgrades and advances! Coach is one that's not afraid to make it happen!! Keep it up!! Let's keep advancing to show the "world" (or liberals lol) we have good sense and know what's right and safe!! Keep going!!

In this case, Coach is helping bring back something that used to be the standard. Before USPSA, IPSC (at least in Indiana) was a hot range. People showed up carrying, swapped the mag with hollow points for a mag of LSWC, and they were ready to shoot. That's the way it should be and I really, really like that Coach has incorporated it into his matches.

Barry

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    3 cheers for Coach! His format for the Carry Gun matches is precisely what I've been looking for. All the matches exceptionally competitor friendly. At the Riley matches, you get to shoot a complete match in a relatively short time and have the rest of the day to catch up on honey-do's. My hat is off to Coach for sacrificing the whole day to run them without making the competitors do the same.

Good on paper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 18, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I’ve been stuck in Texas for the last year and while I have not been able to make a match one of the locals was telling me that they occasionally run a head to head steel match.
    20 to 30 steel targets set up identically left and right with the stop plates that drop overlapping so the faster shooters plate will be on the bottom.
    They run a double elimination and the round count can be pretty high and most of the steel doesn’t fall so reset time is limited.
    It sounded like a lot of fun and I’d never heard of anything like it before

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    I’ve been stuck in Texas for the last year and while I have not been able to make a match one of the locals was telling me that they occasionally run a head to head steel match.
    20 to 30 steel targets set up identically left and right with the stop plates that drop overlapping so the faster shooters plate will be on the bottom.
    They run a double elimination and the round count can be pretty high and most of the steel doesn’t fall so reset time is limited.

Having a hard time envisioning this. How does it work?

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy

Fall Creek Valley does this every 1st & 3rd of the month. It's a mirrored course of fire with about half that number of targets though. Normally ends with a dueling tree. Sometime they do round limits. It's very informal & fun. Open to non-members too. Check the calendar for times. $5 for members. Not sure about non-members $. There's one next Friday.

Fall Creek Valley Conservation Club

Good on paper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 18, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Fall Creek Valley does this every 1st & 3rd of the month. It's a mirrored course of fire with about half that number of targets though. Normally ends with a dueling tree. Sometime they do round limits. It's very informal & fun. Open to non-members too. Check the calendar for times. $5 for members. Not sure about non-members $. There's one next Friday.

Fall Creek Valley Conservation Club

Nice! I’ll definitely check that out when I get back in town.
    I found a YouTube video that looks like what I was describing
    https://youtu.be/0y14FH9D2ts

romack991

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BVP-84UA2pZ/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1d7uimyl1p25e

I've thought about setting up a shoot off or duelling tree competition after our Steel Challenge match. You can handy cap based on division and classification. I had a lot of fun with the 2 gun shoot off. (https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10100648342649737&id=180600627) The trick is to make it somewhat competitive for everyone. It's not that interesting if it's extremely lopsided. Shooting directly against someone is different than just being on the clock and comparing scores afterwards.

We used to have a head to head shooting at Warsaw's Wednesday night league. It was random draw and just for fun. Thinking about it, it would have been interesting to have a "list" like in Street Outlaws. Where everyone is ranked and you work to move up and if you lose, you go down the list. Do random draw for a while, then at the end, let people challenge for spots. Something a little different and people might work to improve. Or at least buy more stuff trying to improve. :):

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    It does sound like fun
    The trick is in the handicapping
    Heads up you will kick my ass every time:):
    But the handicapping can go too far the other way as well

romack991

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    It does sound like fun
    The trick is in the handicapping
    Heads up you will kick my ass every time:):
    But the handicapping can go too far the other way as well

Yeah, I think it's better to not handicap enough compared to over handicapping. The best shooters should still be able to win. Just not a free pass. Usually irons gets a plate advantage over optics. I would start with one plate for every classification difference after one. Ie M vs A, equal, M vs B one plate, M vs C two plates. I like the mandatory reload at some point after the first shot and before the stop plate. Not sure on PCC, probably make them start with the gun on a barrel and one plate disadvantage over pistol optics, two for pistol irons. The amount of plates matters too since that gives you more time to overcome someone's handicap advantage. 8 to 10 plates per side seems like a good amount.

Kind of hard to do as a stand alone match since there is a lot of waiting. After a match is difficult since we are limited on number of bays. Thought about doing it as a fundraiser on a fifth Sunday and having a cookout, and other bays setup with different types of random activities. That would be fun but not sure how we'd structure it with ROs, etc.

Good on paper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 18, 2017
    Indianapolis
    It sounds like there is some interest in this.
    Could you you do a magazine capacity limit to somewhat level the field? 8 round max would include the single stack and wheelgun guys. 10 targets would force a reload

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    It sounds like there is some interest in this.
    Could you you do a magazine capacity limit to somewhat level the field? 8 round max would include the single stack and wheelgun guys. 10 targets would force a reload

I do not limit the capacity of the magazines in the carry gun matches but require a reload after every six rounds. I did this to eliminate the excuses for the wheel gun crowd and the small gun crowd. To be honest I hated doing it. But it is working out. The low capacity guns are not the ones winning the match or even placing at the top. I think the FBI calls that a clue but hard core believers do not want to hear facts.

There are many affordable hi cap guns available in this day and age. If your gun puts you at a handicap why would you carry it? If you are going to competition why take a gun that puts you at a disadvantage? It is fine if you want to do so it is your choice, your match and your life. Don't blame me or handicap me or anyone for carrying good stuff. If you want to go shoot with your stuff then do it. But don't ask for the game to be adjusted to you are able to compete.

Like Jerry says if you want to get to the next level be the first one on the range and the last to leave.

Top Bottom