• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    This will be a 2 part thread...we have another match in a few days so watch for the update.

Aug 15 match was a record turnout for a weeknight match with 19 entries. Congrats to INGO Twangbanger for winning Master class with a 57 out of 60, and to Littlrat for his win in Standard class with 58x60. blkrifle, Armchair operator, Beans&Bullets, & bwframe were all shooters.

What continues to impress me is the top scores in this popular event are being fired with pretty common guns....CZ, Savage, Ruger 10/22. While there are a couple of custom guns in the lineup, the skill of those shooters is what puts them in the top rankings, meaning it's not an equipment race. I hope more shooters & clubs offer this or variants of it at their facility.

Results are up on the Riley site:
    Riley Conservation Club | Indiana Shooting Range | Terre Haute Indiana Long Range Rifle

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Our next match is this Saturday Aug 18 at Riley Conservation Club.

10:15- shooters meeting
    10:30-Shoot for score

$15 adult entry
    $10 stand alone junior
    Free junior with paid adult entry.

We typically have set up on late Friday and practice immediately after.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'm shooting two guns, you're both in.

Thanks, Uncle Gary!

Today's match was a lot of fun and I learned a number of things and confirmed some things I already knew, but needed a reminder.

RHINO'S SCORE FOR 08/18/2018
    55 yards - 8/20 hits
    110 yards - 12/20 hits
    165 yards - 15/20 hits

TOTAL: 36/60 hits​

• That was last place in a group of 19 shooters today.
    • I'm not happy with my performance at 55 yards especially, but I will do better next time.
    • I was happy with my results at 165 yards.
    • I was very happy when I went 5 for 5 on my next to last target (I think it was a little piggie) and then 4/5 on the final target with a called miss.
    • Tiny targets at 55 yards are harder to hit than smallish targets at 165 yards. The 55 yard targets at this match are unforgiving of failure to execute the fundamentals of marksmanship properly. I heard people talking about breathing while I was shooting, but I didn't consciously try to accommodate the movement during respiration until the 165 yard targets.
    • My trigger presses were mostly good today.nee
    • I need to be more attentive to executing the press when I'm not moving so much due to breathing. I know how to do that and I can do that, I just need to remember to do it. I rarely do any shooting where it matters!
    • The holdovers I determined for 110 yards (+8 MOA) and 165 yards (+18 MOA) from my 55 yard zero were good. When they didn't work, it's because I failed to use my reticle properly. In some cases I lost count of hashes and in others I was just wasn't attentive enough.
    • Knowing my holdovers tells me the number of clicks I need to dial with the elevation turret at those distances, so I'll verify and fine tune that the next time I am able to shoot at RileyCC.
    • Dialing elevation changes is going to help, I think.
    • The Vortex 2-9X is adequate for me at 165 yards. I will upgrade when funds allow, but for now I can make it work.
    • The recommended CCI 0035 works fine for this game in my rifle. Thanks!
    • I need to use some thread locker on the screw of my bipod that secures the bipod to the rifle. It came loose.
    • I need to install the swivel lock on my bipod. I got one with week with the bipod, but it was not obvious how to install it (I need to youtube that).
    • I really like my little Savage. This is the second time I've shot it for real (I'm not counting a couple of shots out the back door to test the silencer or when I tried to shoot it with a dead red dot and ended up shooting a plate rack by sighting down the side of the barrel with the rifle canted inboard. The first time was when I zeroed and found my holdovers last weekend with bwframe (we were cheating).
    • My second time using a scope with an MOA hash reticle and MOA adjustments has convinced me that I'm never going even consider an optic with mixed MOA/Mils ever again.
    • [Added 08/19/2018]: My zero was not sufficiently fine-tuned. I need to get a better zero at 55 yards on paper targets.

Thank you to everyone who made the match possible, everyone who coached and encouraged me, and all of the shooters for being safe!

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I wanted to come but the call of the squirrel woods was just too strong. One of these days.

New Ruger Precision rimfire was stacking SK Subsonics at 33 yds today. Might have to give that one a whirl.

One of the benefits I hope to derive from this is to improve my marksmanship to make me a better squirrel and chipmunk schwacker. The targets at 55 yards are smaller than a squirrel's head. When I am able to hit them, a tree rat's noggin will be huge by comparison.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I forgot . . .

Who else from INGO was at the match today? I know LilRat, Hawkeye7br, bwframe, beansandbullets . . . who else was there?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I wanted to come but the call of the squirrel woods was just too strong. One of these days.

New Ruger Precision rimfire was stacking SK Subsonics at 33 yds today. Might have to give that one a whirl.

Looking forward to meeting you one day, when the stars align... ;)

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Rhino, I wasn't there, but I'm glad to see the come-ups were in the ballpark. You made some good observations from your first outing and it sounds like you did good. Half the targets, give or take, is a reasonable goal for the first time out, having only one meaningful practice session under your belt. That seems to be where a lot of people end up. And you beat that measure, so good for you! I substantially under-performed that level my first time out. Back then, we changed distances every single shot, and forgetting to turn your knobs (or finding/shooting the wrong target) was the rook mistake. Currently, it's the 55-yard pennies that are the "newbie's curse."

One thing the 55-yard pennies are not amenable to, in addition to fundamental marksmanship errors, is not having your gun sighted in _perfectly_. A couple inches off at 110 yards could be "good enough," given the size of those targets (and your ability to "hold off" a bit if you can see the impacts from your sighters). But that same magnitude of error translates back to still one inch off at 55, and that will absolutely ruin you on the pennies. If you're clipping edges of the pennies - you got a problem. It translates to a few inches off at 200, and you can still get hits there. But if you absolutely perfect your zero at 165 or 200 on a calm day - and your scope reticle is rotated to true-north - you'll find the pennies will then center-up and take care of themselves (if your elevation is good). The bigger targets at long range may still register hits at that magnitude of error, but the pennies will not.

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Rhino, I wasn't there, but I'm glad to see the come-ups were in the ballpark. You made some good observations from your first outing and it sounds like you did good. Half the targets, give or take, is a reasonable goal for the first time out, having only one meaningful practice session under your belt. That seems to be where a lot of people end up. And you beat that measure, so good for you! I substantially under-performed that level my first time out. Back then, we changed distances every single shot, and forgetting to turn your knobs (or finding/shooting the wrong target) was the rook mistake. Currently, it's the 55-yard pennies that are the "newbie's curse."

One thing the 55-yard pennies are not amenable to, in addition to fundamental marksmanship errors, is not having your gun sighted in _perfectly_. A couple inches off at 110 yards could be "good enough," given the size of those targets (and your ability to "hold off" a bit if you can see the impacts from your sighters). But that same magnitude of error translates back to still one inch off at 55, and that will absolutely ruin you on the pennies. If you're clipping edges of the pennies - you got a problem. It translates to a few inches off at 200, and you can still get hits there. But if you absolutely perfect your zero at 165 or 200 on a calm day - and your scope reticle is rotated to true-north - you'll find the pennies will then center-up and take care of themselves (if your elevation is good). The bigger targets at long range may still register hits at that magnitude of error, but the pennies will not.

That's a good point that I noted on the range yesterday, but forgot to add to my list. My zero at 55 yards was not fine tuned adequately for the task. When I zeroed, I was shooting at the center of a rectangular piece of steel and splattering on what appeared to be the same point of impact on the last confirmation after painting. I think I need to shoot on paper at 55 yards and get a more exact zero.

racegunz

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 6, 2015
    Indiana
    I can tell you this much about rimfire, the zero will not be the same day to day if that level of precision is required. You must tweak it in before the match. I find this to be true no matter what ammo you use.

Top Bottom