21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    I followed the links, but the course of fire is still not clear to me as a newbie. I gather there is a 60-shot aggregate composed of 3 twenty shot matches. But what am I doing in each of those twenties? (Meaning the shots that count, not the sighters).

You will be firing 2 sighters and 20 shots for record (in that order, not to be altered) in a time limit of 25 minutes. The rounds must be loaded in the rifle one-at-a-time. The shooting must be done from prone, be that sling or supported.

The sighter shots do not count UNLESS the match director Shawn Agne allows Convertible Sighters. Convertible just means that once you have fired both sighters, you could tell your scorer at that time to convert Sighter #2 to RECORD only, or you could convert #1 and #2. You cannot convert only Sighter #1.

Once you are done, you will clear your rifle (bolt open, magazines out, on safety if applicable), FLAG your rifle, and remove it from the firing line to your case (in that order). You will then clear your gear as well, staying BEHIND the muzzles until told otherwise. You may police your brass at that time IF it is also behind the muzzles. If it is in front of the line, you must wait until a "brass call" is given once the line is cold in-between shooters.

The next shooter will then move into position, and fire THEIR 20+2 in 25:00.

Then, rinse/repeat until it's time to quit! :)

It's also possible that you will be in "50-minute infiltration block". All that means is that you and the other shooter (your scorer), are to responsibly monitor your own time, and stay within your own 25:00 period, but that there won't be a "cold" break in-between shooters.

Most sling shooters finish in 15:00 or less, and F-Class can be done in 5:00. Ignore the speed of the F-ers unless you are one, and if so, watch everything they do, how they do it, and try to figure out why. You have some Internationally-acclaimed F-ers in this State, and while I don't want to shoot F-Class, I have much admiration for what they are able to do. Respect.

-Nate

JonProphet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Good call Nate. Except for us F’ers, our first string of 20 gets unlimited sighters to start, none covertable. The 2nd and 3rd string are 2 convertibles.

I’d be surprised if any of the acclaimed shooters will be at the match. They will all be returning from nationals. Gives us grunts a chance to win!

should I post up about this weekends palma double?

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Gives us grunts a chance to win!

should I post up about this weekends palma double?

Hahaha!! Well, long as I keep shooting the black rifle, I never have to worry about that particular 3-letter word! :D

I dunno. I mean, most of the sling shooters follow that schedule anyway, but you know...more exposure is never a bad thing.

-Nate

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    You will be firing 2 sighters and 20 shots for record (in that order, not to be altered) in a time limit of 25 minutes. The rounds must be loaded in the rifle one-at-a-time. The shooting must be done from prone, be that sling or supported.

The sighter shots do not count UNLESS the match director Shawn Agne allows Convertible Sighters. Convertible just means that once you have fired both sighters, you could tell your scorer at that time to convert Sighter #2 to RECORD only, or you could convert #1 and #2. You cannot convert only Sighter #1.

Once you are done, you will clear your rifle (bolt open, magazines out, on safety if applicable), FLAG your rifle, and remove it from the firing line to your case (in that order). You will then clear your gear as well, staying BEHIND the muzzles until told otherwise. You may police your brass at that time IF it is also behind the muzzles. If it is in front of the line, you must wait until a "brass call" is given once the line is cold in-between shooters.

The next shooter will then move into position, and fire THEIR 20+2 in 25:00.

Then, rinse/repeat until it's time to quit! :)

It's also possible that you will be in "50-minute infiltration block". All that means is that you and the other shooter (your scorer), are to responsibly monitor your own time, and stay within your own 25:00 period, but that there won't be a "cold" break in-between shooters.

Most sling shooters finish in 15:00 or less, and F-Class can be done in 5:00. Ignore the speed of the F-ers unless you are one, and if so, watch everything they do, how they do it, and try to figure out why. You have some Internationally-acclaimed F-ers in this State, and while I don't want to shoot F-Class, I have much admiration for what they are able to do. Respect.

-Nate

Great summary, Nate. Thank you very much. Sounds fun.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    I hope so.

Here kitty kitty…

Yesterday was fun. Very enjoyable actually, without the sun to roast down on you. But 40 inches of windage correction at 1,000 yards...yikes! I had to re-count the graduations on my knobs when I dialed it back out, just to confirm. I saw some good shooting and I'm sure there is plenty more going down today, in the 800/900/1000 Palma match. A good number of folks were getting in practice with their Palma rifles in individual matches.

Last edited:

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Here kitty kitty…

Yesterday was fun. Very enjoyable actually, without the sun to roast down on you. But 40 inches of windage correction at 1,000 yards...yikes! I had to re-count the graduations on my knobs when I dialed it back out, just to confirm. I saw some good shooting and I'm sure there is plenty more going down today, in the 800/900/1000 Palma match. A good number of folks were getting in practice with their Palma rifles in individual matches.

Yeah, at 1,000, it's normally a case of moving a Minute at a time. Under really good conditions, maybe you are using 1/2 or 1/4 to center your group better, but if you are dialing wind that is shifting and moving, it's mostly 3-4 clicks at a time, or more.

It is not that tough to have 10-15 Minutes on the gun coming off the line at 1,000.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Yeah, at 1,000, it's normally a case of moving a Minute at a time. Under really good conditions, maybe you are using 1/2 or 1/4 to center your group better, but if you are dialing wind that is shifting and moving, it's mostly 3-4 clicks at a time, or more.

It is not that tough to have 10-15 Minutes on the gun coming off the line at 1,000.

Yikes! I'm not ready for that kind of day yet...

Question for the assembled group...how much velocity variation can you tolerate at this distance? I had a S.D. of 20 fps recorded by the Silver Mountain system, which I guess doesn't sound that bad to me (but with little experience to judge by). However, I held 1.7 MOA group size in windage on my last target, but 4.2 vertically (once I started to feel like I was getting it together). So it got me wondering. Should I be concerned about this level of velocity variation? There was a tendency for the faster shots to land higher, and the slower, lower...but it was not absolute.

Another question: what do the "th" and "ph" readings refer to on the target readout? They are expressed as fractions & I had no idea what it is.

JonProphet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    The SD on the targets isn’t highly reliable. I put my lab radar on the line to get better more accurate readings. My SD’s weren’t as good as on hot days. My load is for 80 degree plus days. I need to build another load for cooler days. My SD’s were in the 10’s across 20 shots. That’s respectable. This load when I was building it was 3 across a string of 5.

actually scratch that. My SD was 5.7 and ES was 23. I haven’t looked at my 3rd string. My speeds were down about 10 to 15 FPS over the hotter days.

i will tell you one thing. My SD’s are higher with Sierras compared to Berger. I’m a huge fan of Bergers now. Easier to tune and a hell of a lot more predictable. This is 175SMK’s vs. 185 Juggs.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom