Out of state friend questions about competitions.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    I'm trying to get more involved in competing as well as with other shooters in general. I have a friend from chicagoland who might be interested in shooting steel matches with me in Indiana. (both of our first times) He has his foid and cc in Illinios and is completely legal. Does anyone know if there would be any legal issues with either one of us competing in either state? I go to point blank in mokena quite often when I'm visiting the fiancee or am stuck working in chicago. I know I can shoot there with out issue, I'm guessing competitions are no different. I would rather just ask a stupid question, rather than do a stupid action.

Also killing 2 birds with one stone, Any advice for a first time competitor? We're both safety conscious and experienced shooters. This is a new environment though, just trying to stay safe and being able to have a good time.

Steel and wood

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2016
    Tipton
    On competing at matches always treat the club and range as a cold range NO loaded guns. Do not take your pistol out of holster till the range officer tells you to. Oh yeah no ammo at safe table.
    Always tell everyone that you are first time shooter they will take care of you. Just pay attention and be safe. You will enjoy yourself.

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    I can't speak to the first.... On the second, be prepared for a new addiction.
    Don't get to hung up on the equipment to start. If you aren't using a holster make sure your case/bag is marked as to which way the barrel is pointed. Have a reliable gun. Having enough mags to complete the stages without refilling makes things go faster. While the RO and competitors appreciate this it is not required at most matches. The other attendees will lend a hand refilling if needed. GOING FASTER WON'T BE FASTER IF YOUR'E MISSING SHOTS. Speed will come with practice but fun comes at all speeds. I find loading my mags the night before leaves me a little more relaxed when I get there for sign-in. OH, and have about twice as much ammo as the contest requires. (smaller matches 150, larger 200-300) Coffee while going to a morning match doesn't work too well for me, cut back to a half cup. ASK questions, watch the others shoot. Plan your work and family stuff so you can make it to the matches. I miss quite a few due to working Saturdays which is when a lot of Steel's are ran.....
    Anybody else want to pitch in here?

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    I don't have too much gear, I've done mostly indoor range and shooting at my parents ranch. So I'm lacking in holsters and mags. how many mags would you recommend per round count? All ammo loaded or could you do with half ammo loaded? If I went with my 92fs I have 5 mags, but no real holster. I would like to use my new cz, but I just got it and only have the case candy it came with. I have so many questions, So if anyone is bored and willing to be patient with me lol:coffee:

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    I always tell the match director at signup that I have a new shooter with me. He often will squad us with patient shooters who will offer appropriate advice for our skill level. Ask the MD what their range safety protocols are. Make sure you have a ECI and know how to use it for rifle or rimfire, range rules may vary.:twocents:

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    Match director =MD....ECI+Empty Chamber Indicator (orange weedeater string can work). Go with the 92 FS. You have all the mags you'll need. Don't worry about a "real" holster. You don't have to work from "draw" you can shoot from Low Ready or Glock Ready usually. You can even use a cheap handgun zipper case to take to and from the firing line. You will be told "make ready" which is the the signal to uncase the weapon, take a sight picture if needed, and load your first magazine. Heck, I've even used a cardboard box to carry my magazines to and from the firing line.

Good on paper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 18, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Match Director
    Steel challenge is generally 25 rounds per stage
    It seems like for USPSA the most I’ve shot is 36 per stage.
    You should have enough mags to complete the stage and reload your mags when someone else is shooting. You might want to account for a miss or two :)
    I’d recommend starting at a steel challenge match as it gets you used to the commands and operating under the pressure of the clock without a lot of movement or reloads

Last edited:

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    I completely missed the match director reference. These colts had me riled up. I do have the most experience with the 92fs. I'll go with that. I keep telling myself I won't miss, but I know as soon as that time rings, mindsets change. What are some common mistakes you see new or even experienced shooters make?

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    I completely missed the match director reference. These colts had me riled up. I do have the most experience with the 92fs. I'll go with that. I keep telling myself I won't miss, but I know as soon as that time rings, mindsets change. What are some common mistakes you see new or even experienced shooters make?

my biggest mistake is forgetting what i'm suppose/want to do when the timer goes off :):.
    (yea i fell on my head too many times, and them old leather helmets we used to wear didnt help much ) :lmfao:

smooth is fast, and shooting's 'spose to be FUN

best thing to do is let them know at registration it's your 1st time shooting steel, they'll go over a few things with you, and get you squad ed with some more experienced shooters.
    NPCCC lets 1st time shooters start from low ready position, so you take drawing from the holster out of the mix.

you can "get by" with an OWB holster that covers the triggerguard, for steel matches you dont NEED any mag carriers. most of the centerfire pistols shooters are also shooting USPSA and using whatever gear they use for USPSA.
    a basic kydex holster and a belt will get you started.
    personally IWB holsters make me nervous, IMHO it's much easier to break the 180* rule

i started shooting steel back in may this year, ive sent a LOT of 22LR (6000 or so) downrange so far this year as well as a few 45's :ugh:

getting started is the easy part....
    stopping is gonna be a little tougher...:D

ive seen all types of mistakes happen, and had them happen to me in the past...
    forgetting to load mags between stages
    leaving the safety on
    forgetting to "unlock" my race holster (damn near pulled my pants up around my neck before i realized what was going on)
    grabbing what i thought was a full mag, only to find out it had 4 rounds in it
    forgetting to turn my dot on
    accidental discharge, sending a round over the berm, or into the ground in front of me.

NPCCC pulls in a LOT of shooters from across the state line
    :cheers:

Last edited:

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    I've been wanting to do it for a couple of years, but a new baby got priority. Now it's time to let my addiction grow. I think I will go get myself a holster to start out with. No thigh rigs, Right? Maybe a mag holster. I will try to find one of these helmets you speak of, It'll probably come in handy. Production class lets you shoot stock guns, can you swap out grips? All my hand guns are stock, minus a few new grips and my mk3 with a mrds. I love shooting 22lr. The running 2 guns, would that let me compete with my 92 and possibly my mk3? That would be awesome!

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    rimfire pistols & rifles are (chamber) flagged and bagged, no holster needed.

i use a simple pistol bag and a clear plastic "tupperwear" type box for my mags.

i found some sealed, watertight plastic boxes at walmart (in the camping section) i use for my mags and rimfire ammo.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Steel challenge is the easiest way to start. USPSA is more gear heavy, and 3gun is a whole other world.

I would go single gun for your first event. Simpler and you'll find out what gear you are lacking rather than lacking with two guns. 5 mag is the minimum for production, some rounds have 4 strings so you'll need a bare minimum of 4.

Holster, yes a nice owb noon serpa. A cheap good holster is the bladetech total eclipse, they are 30 bucks and double as a good owb carry holster. If you get real into it you can start looking at a comp holster.

Mag Carrier- yes yes yes, you can get a cheap generic double mag carrier for 20bucks. Again don't spend a lot until you learn what gun and class you want to shoot.

Good belt- a saggy belt is aggravating. A Competition rig, inner and outer is where you will likely end up. To start a solid leather or heavy web will do fine.

Electric ear muffs. You need to be able to hear commands.

Non fogging eye protection, clear and sunglasses

A decent range bag. You need to carry your ammo, lube, a golf towel, batteries for your ears and optics.

I think the main thing is to not be a douche. If you fte our whatever be cool and learn from it. If you get dq'd take with grace and watch the rest of the show you'll learn even if you're not pulling the trigger.

Remember to ask questions, keep it pointed down range, don't mess with it when you aren't shooting or at the safe table, help reset stages, and have fun.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I've been wanting to do it for a couple of years, but a new baby got priority. Now it's time to let my addiction grow. I think I will go get myself a holster to start out with. No thigh rigs, Right? Maybe a mag holster. I will try to find one of these helmets you speak of, It'll probably come in handy. Production class lets you shoot stock guns, can you swap out grips? All my hand guns are stock, minus a few new grips and my mk3 with a mrds. I love shooting 22lr. The running 2 guns, would that let me compete with my 92 and possibly my mk3? That would be awesome!

No thigh rigs. There are actually class specific rules on holsters.

Read through the rulebook on classes. Production is generally where we all start, but honestly limited is easier to start in because they allow for full magazine capacity. Prod is limited to 10. When you're new to it you won't be going for the win in any class, so load em full and run limited to not deal with mag swaps at your first steel match.

Some grips are legal in prod, if they bevel out to a magwell at all they are not legal. Magwells are welcome in limited.

There are holster limitations in production as well.

Edit - Adding links to an affordable set of gear to get you going and legal anywhere you decide to start shooting competitions at. This list is for your 92

Holster -27.20
    Mag Carrier - 19.99 (this one works for beretta mags tightened down, I have one and used it with my cx4 set up. I added a plate and a bladetech teklok but works fine on a good belt as is.) This carrier is really adaptable to just about any double stack I have. It isn't as fast as the competition single pouches but it is just what the dr ordered for steel challenge while having enough retention to hold mags at multigun or uspsa. WHile you are still figuring out your gear it's a good idea to stick with adaptable items where you can. I've gone through a lot of gear changes myself just figuring out what I want to really use gun and class wise.

I'm not linking range bags, because I don't know what you have. It is nice to have one with some different compartments to keep organized and that is heavy duty enough to haul your ammo, water, and a granola bar or two.

Last edited:

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Common mistake I've seen is not knowing where your gun impacts on targets over 10 yards. All guns will hit 16x20 rectangles at 10 yards, but you may have a plate @ 20y, and empty your mag trying to hit it. Know your sights & point of impact up to 35 yards.

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    FYI
    starke associated marksmen, knox IN (SAM silhouette) is having a steel match on oct 21st.
    the range is very primitive. it's (probably) the last outdoor steel match for the year in the area.

i had fun at the last match i shot there, i plan on shooting.

they also have a facebook page and website with info. at least one of their members is on INGO

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    This is awesome! I talked to my buddy, we have the weekend cleared for this. He'll be using his m9. If we use a range bag and utilize tge safe zone, could we get away with sharing gear? Ei mags and holsters?

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    No thigh rigs. There are actually class specific rules on holsters.

Read through the rulebook on classes. Production is generally where we all start, but honestly limited is easier to start in because they allow for full magazine capacity. Prod is limited to 10. When you're new to it you won't be going for the win in any class, so load em full and run limited to not deal with mag swaps at your first steel match.

Some grips are legal in prod, if they bevel out to a magwell at all they are not legal. Magwells are welcome in limited.

There are holster limitations in production as well.

Edit - Adding links to an affordable set of gear to get you going and legal anywhere you decide to start shooting competitions at. This list is for your 92

Holster -27.20
    Mag Carrier - 19.99 (this one works for beretta mags tightened down, I have one and used it with my cx4 set up. I added a plate and a bladetech teklok but works fine on a good belt as is.) This carrier is really adaptable to just about any double stack I have. It isn't as fast as the competition single pouches but it is just what the dr ordered for steel challenge while having enough retention to hold mags at multigun or uspsa. WHile you are still figuring out your gear it's a good idea to stick with adaptable items where you can. I've gone through a lot of gear changes myself just figuring out what I want to really use gun and class wise.

I'm not linking range bags, because I don't know what you have. It is nice to have one with some different compartments to keep organized and that is heavy duty enough to haul your ammo, water, and a granola bar or two.

Im stuck In traffic but i will check them out when i get home thanks!

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    This is awesome! I talked to my buddy, we have the weekend cleared for this. He'll be using his m9. If we use a range bag and utilize tge safe zone, could we get away with sharing gear? Ei mags and holsters?

I don't see how you will be able to swap holsters that fast,. Mags should be fine just make sure they are loaded and ready for each other. The RO may let you start low ready if holsters are holding you back. Bring a small range bag for the pistol that doesn't have a holster. Make sure you put a piece of tape to mark the muzzle end of the bag. Making ready with the pistol aimed behind you will get you dq'd. I have a neoprene tablet/laptop sleeve that I used to use.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    If that's the case, then a $30 holster will be worth the investment. Last thing I would want to do is something stupid and unsafe. Worst case, endangering other, best case, I don't get to enjoy the match. Peace of mind is worth the 30

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom