• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • harleymac1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2013
    Morgan County
    I have thought of posting this for a couple of days and after reading through Coach's Carry Gun Match observation thread I wanted to throw it out. I have been contemplating going to tritium sights on my Glock 19. I want something to help speed up front sight acquisition and thought that big green front out there would do just that. My thought was a set of tritium sights, green front, and rear but the rear with blacked out rings so not really a factor in daylight. The big football goalpost on the stock Glock rear sight tends to be a distraction. I listened to a grandmaster on a podcast this week who said the big green glob out front is a bad choice. So, I am curious to hear what you experienced USPSA shooters think. I did find it interesting where Coach pointed out that a shooter with his front sight painted orange was successful in the carry gun match. Hope you all have a Merry Christmas and I am going to sit back and see what you all say about this.

**Oh, I am curious about rear sight opening choice as well. Square or U? And two dots on rear on either side or one center underneath the opening?

BTW, Night Fision has 20% off over Christmas.

longbeard

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    United States
    Fiber fronts are a good choice because you can change colors. Dawson Precision makes nice Glock sights, and they are popular choices for competition shooting.
    I wouldn't overthink it too much. With practice you can shoot anything.

My preference is black rear sight with a green fiber front on a skinny post which lets light in around it.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I have thought of posting this for a couple of days and after reading through Coach's Carry Gun Match observation thread I wanted to throw it out. I have been contemplating going to tritium sights on my Glock 19. I want something to help speed up front sight acquisition and thought that big green front out there would do just that. My thought was a set of tritium sights, green front, and rear but the rear with blacked out rings so not really a factor in daylight. The big football goalpost on the stock Glock rear sight tends to be a distraction. I listened to a grandmaster on a podcast this week who said the big green glob out front is a bad choice. So, I am curious to hear what you experienced USPSA shooters think. I did find it interesting where Coach pointed out that a shooter with his front sight painted orange was successful in the carry gun match. Hope you all have a Merry Christmas and I am going to sit back and see what you all say about this.

**Oh, I am curious about rear sight opening choice as well. Square or U? And two dots on rear on either side or one center underneath the opening?

BTW, Night Fision has 20% off over Christmas.

If it's specifically for shooting USPSA Production Division, get a relatively narrow fiber optic front sight (maybe 0.100" wide instead of the Glock standard 0.125) and an adjustable, plain black rear sight with a notch wide enough to show plenty of daylight on both sides.

If it's primarily a carry gun that you happen to shoot in Production Division as well, then you should choose your sights to be appropriate for a carry gun. In my case, I want tritium night sights with something on the front that you can also see reasonably well in bright sunlight, but anything in the rear is subdued. Sig X-Ray sights are good in that regard. Another choice that works well is a combination tritium/fiber optic front sight with just tritium (subdued, with no rings) in the rear sight.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Some of it depends on your age and vision. My pushing 60 eyes need bright and big. I've run orange Ameriglo Idot Pro front sights on my carry/USPSA guns for a few years now. Their Hackathorn version comes with black serrated rear. I can pick up other sights well enough, but not as fast...

Hackathorn-Sights-07-600x400.jpg

harleymac1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2013
    Morgan County
    Great advice from all. This will be my EDC / USPSA gun until I hit the lottery and can afford a dedicated competition gun so it sounds like my original thought was pretty much in line. And, bwframe, I am 52 and I am definitely noticing my sight getting worse every year. That big green dot will hopefully help.

No one has mentioned square vs U rear. Everyone running square?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Some of it depends on your age and vision. My pushing 60 eyes need bright and big. I've run orange Ameriglo Idot Pro front sights on my carry/USPSA guns for a few years now. Their Hackathorn version comes with black serrated rear. I can pick up other sights well enough, but not as fast...

Hackathorn-Sights-07-600x400.jpg

My 38 year old eyes agree, but prefer the U in the rear.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I thought I needed to spent $50-60 on fancy-pansy 10-8 U shaped rears to match the Idots for years...

p_100003766_1.jpg

I still have them on one gun. I'm not so sure how much of an advantage they are to me now, but I don't shoot as good as you. ;)

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Great advice from all. This will be my EDC / USPSA gun until I hit the lottery and can afford a dedicated competition gun so it sounds like my original thought was pretty much in line. And, bwframe, I am 52 and I am definitely noticing my sight getting worse every year. That big green dot will hopefully help.

No one has mentioned square vs U rear. Everyone running square?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Timely thread harleymac1. I'm seeing 50 in the rear view mirror too and was planning to go with different sights as well.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    The rear shape is irrelevant. It needs to be "wide enough" (you define what that means), and the front just needs to be visible. Under the conditions you're shooting in. Don't overcomplicate it. The factory glock sights are actually not bad, visibility wise. They're just not durable. I actually like the stock front sight, because it gives me two things I want in the same sight: a big visible white dot for when I'm going fast, and a square dark post around it, for when I'm squeezing off something really precise and want to line up square edges (because that's how I make those kinds of shots).

USPSA nation likes the skinny fronts with little fiber optics, and U-shaped rears. These are fine for outdoors, especially on sunny days. But indoors, they're probably not even as good as the stock glock sights.

Last edited:

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    My TP9FSX came with Warren Tactical sights, plain black rear and a small red fiber for the front. I had a lot of trouble picking up the small red fiber so I replaced it with a Hi-Viz green with a larger fiber.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana

A bright dot anywhere on the rear sight makes me crazy when I am trying to shoot accurately at my best speed (not that fast, I'm 62 and with my vision it is best if my r.o. does not wear a brown shirt).
    With narrow fronts the timer says I am apparently not any faster, and I have a bad habit of shooting when the front is at the correct level with the posts but not adequately centered for difficult shots.

Young fast guys like the narrow fronts though.

I think is is worth trying a fat fiber sight & then trying a skinny based on results or impressions, or vice versa. As I recall for a G19 it is like crazy easy to swap fronts. Other thing, for EDC, skinny fronts are more likely to break if you bump them.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    I've shot some USPSA matches but I'm certainly not an "experienced" USPSA shooter. I have shot in all the Carry Matches and I've found the fiber optic front and black rear suits me best. I have a .125 Dawson precision front with a U shaped rear that's wide enough I see plenty of light on either side of the front site. After trying several setups, even optics, this setup seems to get me on target as quickly as anything.
    If you want a quick cost effective fix reverse the rear sight and put a little orange fingernail polish over the white dot on the front. It's not nearly as effective as the fiber optic but it will give you an idea of how well you might see the setup without spending much $$$.
    [FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” [/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT]

JMitch

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2015
    Greenwood
    My G19 EDC has Glock tritium sights and has served me well in the variety of conditions it could be employed. I used it in that configuration for my first year shooting USPSA. The front sight is too wide for my preference shooting matches. the tritium is not bright enough on a sunny day to make any difference. If your front sight focus is good I don’t think the rear matters much. I could see three tritium dots getting confused at night with a poor index.

My current production gun, a G34 I use Taran tactical sight. I have also used the Warren/Sevigney on a G17. Both work well for me.

RRamsey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2015
    sullivan
    I am currently running CZ stock tritium sights on my production gun.(came that way). Outdoors the front sight is easily lost due to it being too wide. Indoors there is usually enough to light you can’t see glow but not enough to see white outline. I am changing to a .090 front fiber and a .125 rear notch. I run that on my 1911 and can see well in 90% of lighting conditions I shoot in

Gingerbeardman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Anderson
    I shoot steel challenge, not uspsa, and don't carry my g34. That said, I used a sharpie to black out the factory rear sight and put a thirty dollar hyviz fiber optic out front. I prefer red to green, sometimes green washes out in the sunlight. Works for me!

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I shoot steel challenge, not uspsa, and don't carry my g34. That said, I used a sharpie to black out the factory rear sight and put a thirty dollar hyviz fiber optic out front. I prefer red to green, sometimes green washes out in the sunlight. Works for me!

I would rather shoot with no sights than use the factory adjustable sights that come on the g34. Uneven tops, light coming around the adjustable insert in the middle of the rear posts, almost no light around the factory front post.... Total crap.

i kept them on for a while because I had so many problems with the gen 3 34s, kept having to send them back to Glock. When I finally got them running right, I switched out the sights and the diffence in accuracy at speed was tremendous.

I hope all my competition uses them.... :)

-rvb

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton
    I would rather shoot with no sights than use the factory adjustable sights that come on the g34. Uneven tops, light coming around the adjustable insert in the middle of the rear posts, almost no light around the factory front post.... Total crap.

i kept them on for a while because I had so many problems with the gen 3 34s, kept having to send them back to Glock. When I finally got them running right, I switched out the sights and the diffence in accuracy at speed was tremendous.

I hope all my competition uses them.... :)

-rvb

blaspheme, glocks are the best thing since sliced bread. They never have any issues ;)

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010

That HiViz front is actually a pretty good sight! And a steal for the price. That plus a Warren tactical rear is my favorite setup for Glocks. The Warren front is ok for outside, but for a gun that will get shot indoors in winter, I find the HiViz to be more, well, visible.

Top Bottom