Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

User Info Menu

Sight Choice for Production Gun

I have thought of posting this for a couple of days and after reading through Coach's Carry Gun Match observation thread I wanted to throw it out. I have been contemplating going to tritium sights on my Glock 19. I want something to help speed up front sight acquisition and thought that big green front out there would do just that. My thought was a set of tritium sights, green front, and rear but the rear with blacked out rings so not really a factor in daylight. The big football goalpost on the stock Glock rear sight tends to be a distraction. I listened to a grandmaster on a podcast this week who said the big green glob out front is a bad choice. So, I am curious to hear what you experienced USPSA shooters think. I did find it interesting where Coach pointed out that a shooter with his front sight painted orange was successful in the carry gun match. Hope you all have a Merry Christmas and I am going to sit back and see what you all say about this.

**Oh, I am curious about rear sight opening choice as well. Square or U? And two dots on rear on either side or one center underneath the opening?

BTW, Night Fision has 20% off over Christmas.
    USMC Veteran / Lifetime LTCH / Lifetime NRA / Amateur Radio Operator

User Info Menu

Fiber fronts are a good choice because you can change colors. Dawson Precision makes nice Glock sights, and they are popular choices for competition shooting.
    I wouldn't overthink it too much. With practice you can shoot anything.

My preference is black rear sight with a green fiber front on a skinny post which lets light in around it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by harleymac1 View Post
    I have thought of posting this for a couple of days and after reading through Coach's Carry Gun Match observation thread I wanted to throw it out. I have been contemplating going to tritium sights on my Glock 19. I want something to help speed up front sight acquisition and thought that big green front out there would do just that. My thought was a set of tritium sights, green front, and rear but the rear with blacked out rings so not really a factor in daylight. The big football goalpost on the stock Glock rear sight tends to be a distraction. I listened to a grandmaster on a podcast this week who said the big green glob out front is a bad choice. So, I am curious to hear what you experienced USPSA shooters think. I did find it interesting where Coach pointed out that a shooter with his front sight painted orange was successful in the carry gun match. Hope you all have a Merry Christmas and I am going to sit back and see what you all say about this.

**Oh, I am curious about rear sight opening choice as well. Square or U? And two dots on rear on either side or one center underneath the opening?

BTW, Night Fision has 20% off over Christmas.
    If it's specifically for shooting USPSA Production Division, get a relatively narrow fiber optic front sight (maybe 0.100" wide instead of the Glock standard 0.125) and an adjustable, plain black rear sight with a notch wide enough to show plenty of daylight on both sides.

If it's primarily a carry gun that you happen to shoot in Production Division as well, then you should choose your sights to be appropriate for a carry gun. In my case, I want tritium night sights with something on the front that you can also see reasonably well in bright sunlight, but anything in the rear is subdued. Sig X-Ray sights are good in that regard. Another choice that works well is a combination tritium/fiber optic front sight with just tritium (subdued, with no rings) in the rear sight.

"The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State."
    INDIANA CONSTITUTION
    Article 1 - Bill of Rights - Section 32

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

To prevail you must ACT!

Grandmaster

User Info Menu

Some of it depends on your age and vision. My pushing 60 eyes need bright and big. I've run orange Ameriglo Idot Pro front sights on my carry/USPSA guns for a few years now. Their Hackathorn version comes with black serrated rear. I can pick up other sights well enough, but not as fast...

-----------------------------------------------
    Done, done, and Iím on to the next one...

User Info Menu

Taran Tactical.

Done.

User Info Menu

Great advice from all. This will be my EDC / USPSA gun until I hit the lottery and can afford a dedicated competition gun so it sounds like my original thought was pretty much in line. And, bwframe, I am 52 and I am definitely noticing my sight getting worse every year. That big green dot will hopefully help.

No one has mentioned square vs U rear. Everyone running square?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    USMC Veteran / Lifetime LTCH / Lifetime NRA / Amateur Radio Operator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bwframe View Post
    Some of it depends on your age and vision. My pushing 60 eyes need bright and big. I've run orange Ameriglo Idot Pro front sights on my carry/USPSA guns for a few years now. Their Hackathorn version comes with black serrated rear. I can pick up other sights well enough, but not as fast...

My 38 year old eyes agree, but prefer the U in the rear.

If youíre free youíll never see the walls.

Quote Originally Posted by Tactically Fat View Post
    Listen to Rhino, Coach, NHT3, and as much as I hate to say it, Chezuki. :-)

Grandmaster

User Info Menu

I thought I needed to spent $50-60 on fancy-pansy 10-8 U shaped rears to match the Idots for years...

I still have them on one gun. I'm not so sure how much of an advantage they are to me now, but I don't shoot as good as you.
    Done, done, and Iím on to the next one...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by harleymac1 View Post
    Great advice from all. This will be my EDC / USPSA gun until I hit the lottery and can afford a dedicated competition gun so it sounds like my original thought was pretty much in line. And, bwframe, I am 52 and I am definitely noticing my sight getting worse every year. That big green dot will hopefully help.

No one has mentioned square vs U rear. Everyone running square?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Timely thread harleymac1. I'm seeing 50 in the rear view mirror too and was planning to go with different sights as well.
    INGOer #25,448

User Info Menu

The rear shape is irrelevant. It needs to be "wide enough" (you define what that means), and the front just needs to be visible. Under the conditions you're shooting in. Don't overcomplicate it. The factory glock sights are actually not bad, visibility wise. They're just not durable. I actually like the stock front sight, because it gives me two things I want in the same sight: a big visible white dot for when I'm going fast, and a square dark post around it, for when I'm squeezing off something really precise and want to line up square edges (because that's how I make those kinds of shots).

USPSA nation likes the skinny fronts with little fiber optics, and U-shaped rears. These are fine for outdoors, especially on sunny days. But indoors, they're probably not even as good as the stock glock sights.
    Last edited by Twangbanger; 4 Weeks Ago at 21:56.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast