• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MuncieFud

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2018
    Muncie
    I want to get started competing in IDPA, USPSA, and/or Steel Challenge. I'm in Muncie and not looking to drive much more than an hour and a half, it seems like Atlanta Conservation Club may be my best place to start. Does anyone have a recommended first match? A range that is more friendly to the new competitor? Any tips for getting started?

This may be in the wrong section so please let me know if this is an inappropriate place to post this.

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    It depends how proficient you are with your firearm. If you've already shot for a long time and is proficient with it, then IPDA or USPSA. If you just started learning about guns, I would recommend shooting steel challenges first to get use to the adrenalin while shooting and not having to worry about moving, reloading or planning. Once you get comfortable to that, then you can choose either IDPA or USPSA. Both will also have people help you to be safe.

kevinsr98

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   1
    Feb 12, 2011
    It depends how proficient you are with your firearm. If you've already shot for a long time and is proficient with it, then IPDA or USPSA. If you just started learning about guns, I would recommend shooting steel challenges first to get use to the adrenalin while shooting and not having to worry about moving, reloading or planning. Once you get comfortable to that, then you can choose either IDPA or USPSA. Both will also have people help you to be safe.

Happygunner makes a good point. Steel Challenge is the gateway drug for the rest of the shooting sports...

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    i got started shooting competition (around '95) with bowling pin matches at a local indoor range. met a few USPSA shooters there, and went to a USPSA match as a spectator, the next month i started shooting USPSA. last year i started shooting steel, at 1st with my open USPSA pistol, then bought a rimfire rifle, and then a rimfire pistol.
    i actually enjoy shooting both the rimfire guns more than USPSA. less stress, less work.
    shooting a match makes for a long day sometimes, with an hour or more travel each way, especially during mid summer.

nearly every club shoots some type of steel match, "official" steel challenge, RCSA (both rifle & pistol) or an "outlaw" match.
    i shot matches that had 12 entries, and matches that had 75 entries.
    my suggestion to anyone thats never shot a match before is to attend a match as a spectator 1st, you can see how things are done, what equipment is needed, and talk to a few shooters.
    being nervous at your 1st match is normal, nothing can ruin your day faster than not being prepared.
    ive found some clubs are kinda "uptight" others a lot more "laid back" in their approach to shooting.
    getting to know some of the shooters, you'll probably find certain people you like/dont like being squadded with.

:cheers:

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    Can you shoot safely? Do you automaticly keep your finger away from the trigger except when engaging targets. Are you comfortable moving foreward, backward or laterly while keeping your muzzle pointed in a safe direction. Practice reloading, drawing and re-holstering while keeping your muzzle in a safe direction. By now you should be getting the idea muzzle direction is important, the quickest way to get DQ'ed is point your muzzle in an unsafe direction.
    I started shooting IDPA about 12 or 14 years ago and never left, lots of fun and good friends make every match great. ACC is a great club and Wildcat Valley is another and maybe in your travel distance just south of Brookston. I am not a member of either club but have been shooting regulary at both for years. Show up with a good attitude and willingness to help paste and tear down and you will be welcome. Don't worry about being new, tell them when you sign up, you will be directed to the "new shooters" meeting and when you go to your squad you will be put toward the bottom of the squad so you can see others shoot first.
    One more piece of advice, watch some matches on youtube but do so with a grain of salt. Most of the videos posted there will be sanctioned matches that will be more elaborate than you will see at monthly matches. I have also found a lot of the people posting videos are a whole lot better than me so don't watch and decide you are not good enough to compete. At my age I don't figure I will be getting any better at it but that is not why I shoot. Spending a day shooting with good friends there is nothing better. See you at a match. Jim.

MuncieFud

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2018
    Muncie
    Thank you for all the replies. I've been shooting off and on for about ten years now so my ability to manipulate the gun aren't the fastest but I feel as though I'm able to do so safely. I think I'm going to try to make it to the next match at ACC and just spectate. Among my friend group I'm the best pistol shooter but that's not saying much. I know the sports are a lot about speed but where do you feel like is a good accuracy standard to have before starting? All in the A zone at 25, 35 yards slowfire?

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    Thank you for all the replies. I've been shooting off and on for about ten years now so my ability to manipulate the gun aren't the fastest but I feel as though I'm able to do so safely. I think I'm going to try to make it to the next match at ACC and just spectate. Among my friend group I'm the best pistol shooter but that's not saying much. I know the sports are a lot about speed but where do you feel like is a good accuracy standard to have before starting? All in the A zone at 25, 35 yards slowfire?

I wouldn't worry about the accuracy, I'd put more emphasis on the safety. Like 04FXSTS mentioned, if you can manipulate the firearm safely (keeping finger off trigger during reload and when not engaging targets, or during movement while keeping your muzzle downrange), then you're good to go.

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    ive been shooting USPSA since the mid 90's.
    my 1st classification was as a mid level C shooter in the open class.

im still a C shooter.
    i'm a lot older and slower than i was "back in the day"
    doesnt bother me at all.

dont get too wrapped up in an "equipment race"
    you'll see all kinds of gear, from inexpensive to high $$ full race setups.
    i still use the same belt, mag carriers, and holster, that i bought used, when i started with 25 years ago.
    same pistol as well, a used and very well worn 1911 single stack.

i have several "goals" at every match i shoot.
    1 dont get DQ'd ( dont worry, it has/ will happen)
    2 dont shoot myself or anyone else :laugh:
    3 no misses or procedural penalties
    3 have fun :thumbsup:

Fuzz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    LaFONTAINE
    There are many ways and all great advice above and several willing to help you.

I will add this: Even if you do not accept any of the offers above, Go watch one. Then ask questions and mengle. Everyone will be helpful.

Safety is of the utmost importance. You will need to make sure you understand the safety rules and how to use them in your gun handling.

Other than that just go try it. Your not going to win or possibly finish above dead last. But do it anyway. You're never going to be good enough not to be nervous at your first match.

Lastly Youtube is your friend. Watch any of probably 100000 videos of people shooting faster than you possibly can.

There are a couple you tube videos taking about the rules to watch if you can stay awake through them

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    I know the sports are a lot about speed but where do you feel like is a good accuracy standard to have before starting? All in the A zone at 25, 35 yards slowfire?

Other have gave you some good answers on the other stuff.
    IMO a majority of USPSA shooters can't shoot all A's from 25-35 yards. Just like watching the you tube videos of shooters shooting USPSA most at a local match will be slower and you can't see the hits when they post the videos:laugh:.
    Most targets In USPSA will be under 15 yards with some occasionally at longer distance.
    Sounds easy right? well that is where speed comes in and you will be amazed to see a miss on a target 10 feet away when going to fast.

Just be safe and have fun and don't worry about speed.

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    Other have gave you some good answers on the other stuff.
    IMO a majority of USPSA shooters can't shoot all A's from 25-35 yards. Just like watching the you tube videos of shooters shooting USPSA most at a local match will be slower and you can't see the hits when they post the videos:laugh:.
    Most targets In USPSA will be under 15 yards with some occasionally at longer distance.
    Sounds easy right? well that is where speed comes in and you will be amazed to see a miss on a target 10 feet away when going to fast.

Just be safe and have fun and don't worry about speed.

at the 1st few matches i shot, i was in a squad with A M and GM shooters. the best advise they ever gave me was slow down, make your hits, watch your footing, and be smoooooooth. smooth is fast.
    ive watched supersquads at the nationals, you dont realize how fast they are actually moving, and shooting every step, every hand movement is so smooth, almost effortless.

i have arthritis in my hands, hips, knees, and shoulder, and i'll be 61 this year :crying:

masterdekoy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Columbus
    As others have mentioned, as long as you can safely handle a firearm and are aware of muzzle direction and trigger finger placement (keep your finger far away the trigger when sights are not on target), pick an event and plan to shoot it. There will be a new shooters orientation prior to the match where they will explain the rules and safety info. Also, let your safety officer know you are a new shooter. They are typically very helpful and will provide suggestions during the match.

For your first event, go slow, be safe, and get the required hits on every target. Don’t worry about time, it will come with experience. There are a lot of good shooters out there, but everyone has to start somewhere. Matches are a blast!

ETA: steel is a great measure of your fundamentals. I feel USPSA/IPSC hides this as you are typically shooting paper. Steel provides immediate feedback so you can tell if you got a hit or not.

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    As others have mentioned, as long as you can safely handle a firearm and are aware of muzzle direction and trigger finger placement (keep your finger far away the trigger when sights are not on target), pick an event and plan to shoot it. There will be a new shooters orientation prior to the match where they will explain the rules and safety info. Also, let your safety officer know you are a new shooter. They are typically very helpful and will provide suggestions during the match.

For your first event, go slow, be safe, and get the required hits on every target. Don’t worry about time, it will come with experience. There are a lot of good shooters out there, but everyone has to start somewhere. Matches are a blast!

ETA: steel is a great measure of your fundamentals. Steel provides immediate feedback so you can tell if you got a hit or not.

i like hearing steel hits :cowbell:

FWIW most steel matches are 5 stages, 5 strings per stage. NPCCC outlaw steel (only) fires 3 strings per stage. just in case you dont have 5 mags for your pistol.
    all you need is a safe holster that covers the trigger guard, you really dont need any mag carriers, theres a barrel or table you can place your mags on at the firing line. most clubs are using practiscore for registration, squadding, and posting match results.

MuncieFud

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2018
    Muncie
    i like hearing steel hits :cowbell:

FWIW most steel matches are 5 stages, 5 strings per stage. NPCCC outlaw steel (only) fires 3 strings per stage. just in case you dont have 5 mags for your pistol.
    all you need is a safe holster that covers the trigger guard, you really dont need any mag carriers, theres a barrel or table you can place your mags on at the firing line. most clubs are using practiscore for registration, squadding, and posting match results.

Wish I would have know that before i ordered extra magazines :laugh:. I see that M.C.F.&G. has a steel match that I might be able to make it to. I saw the post that was linked saying shooter meeting was at 6:15, does anyone know if there's a new shooter meeting that I would have to attend? What would you consider a good round count to bring?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...I see that M.C.F.&G. has a steel match that I might be able to make it to. I saw the post that was linked saying shooter meeting was at 6:15, does anyone know if there's a new shooter meeting that I would have to attend? What would you consider a good round count to bring?

Just watch for the thread in the Shooting Sports forum. They always make one, with links to all details. Extreme weather can change things, but they schedule matches all year.

You must attend the shooters safety meeting before the match to be able to shoot. I thought it was 6:00?

The matches are typically less than 100 rounds. I like to bring 200, at least 150. Missing is easy. :rolleyes:

5:00 arrival is always good, if you can make it, to help with setup. Good work gloves for handling cold heavy steel targets is handy, along with your required eye/ear protection for the match.

If you are making an hour and a half trip, like me, might as well spend as much time learning about the whole program as you can. A lot to be learned helping with setup and often there are get togethers at nearby restaurants afterward.

Last edited:

2-Alpha

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2018
    Indianapolis area
    Wish I would have know that before i ordered extra magazines :laugh:. I see that M.C.F.&G. has a steel match that I might be able to make it to. I saw the post that was linked saying shooter meeting was at 6:15, does anyone know if there's a new shooter meeting that I would have to attend? What would you consider a good round count to bring?
    The FNS at MCF&G doesn't have a "new shooter" meeting as such, just the full safety/procedure meeting for everybody before they head out to the range. I forget the start time, but I'd definitely aim to be there by 6:00. Worst case is you spend some time talking guns with the other shooters. Tell them it's your first time when you sign up and they'll help you out, and probably suggest a squad. (Their squadding is kind of "informal" compared to most matches.)

I'd say bring 200 rounds. You'll shoot a lot less than that, but better to take some home than run out. You don't technically even need a holster at FNS as they'll let you bag/unbag at the line. (Just watch the muzzle direction so know which way the gun points in the bag.) Most shooters use a holster, but not necessarily mag carriers. Other places may require the holster.

Joeyjoebangbang

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2014
    Elwood
    GSSF indoor matches might be another option for you. Indy arms co has a match every 2nd Sunday of the month and Tim's shooting academy in west field has a winter league i think

justacog

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2018
    Brownstown
    Also remember that matches follow "cold range" protocol meaning your gun is never loaded until you are on the firing line and instructed to make ready. To make things easy, I recommend keeping your ammo (including loaded mags) in one box, and carry your pistol (optionally unseated unloaded mags) in a separate case/rug/bag upon arrival at the match, then let a range/safety officer tell you where to go and what to do for their particular environment. That way you can bring your pistol separately from any ammo to a designated safe area to holster up as handling ammo in a safe area is forbidden. Once your unloaded gun is holstered, then you can leave the safe area and get your mag pouches loaded up. Just don't draw your unloaded gun from the holster again unless you are back in a safe area, or on the line being instructed to make ready. You may want to review the official rules for the type of match you will be attending, for example:
    https://uspsa.org/documents/rules/2019_USPSA_Competition_Rules.pdf

Top Bottom