• ...and so much more!
  • KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Nice article. I've only shot a few matches, but that is some solid information for us new guys. Luckily most of it was pointed out in the briefing, and BossHoss made sure us rookies knew what to do, and when to do it.

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    On level 2 and up matches, I've kept an eye who I don't want to squad. Those ones who barely help reset, especially far targets. I can definitely say Shane Coley is one lazy dude, who barely help reset/paste in the 2017 Area 5 match.

blkrifle

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    terre haute
    On level 2 and up matches, I've kept an eye who I don't want to squad. Those ones who barely help reset, especially far targets. I can definitely say Shane Coley is one lazy dude, who barely help reset/paste in the 2017 Area 5 match.

Thats a shame to because I think that reflects on the company he is representing. If I was ever in the position to sponsor someone helping on the stages would be a requirement.

My observations from ROing at the 9 Days of Nationals: the super squads did a great job of resetting the stage, some of the wanta be squads not so much.

I have seen my wife hand a guy pasters and invite him out to the targets so she could show him how to use them....

the best one is when you are done scoring a 32 rnd stage and you are on the way back to the start area and you see a guy grab some pasters and start out to paste only to realize he is to late, again. BE READY TO PASTE WHEN THE TARGETS ARE SCORED or PAINT ON THE RANGE CLEAR COMMAND

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton
    It isn't that hard. With a good squad you may only have to paste 2 whole targets

I've seen a few really bad squads...one was a 'super squad' for indiana section match my first official RO match in 2011 and a squad of same sponsored shooters that were mostly M and above 3 or 4 years ago

That squad assured me I'd never by that sponsors product

On staff day, we had observed an RO rushing to find his spot in the shade until it was his turn to shoot. I cant remember which RO it was but he cleared the stage and made this guy paste every target before he shot.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Thats a shame to because I think that reflects on the company he is representing. If I was ever in the position to sponsor someone helping on the stages would be a requirement.

My observations from ROing at the 9 Days of Nationals: the super squads did a great job of resetting the stage, some of the wanta be squads not so much.

I have seen my wife hand a guy pasters and invite him out to the targets so she could show him how to use them....

the best one is when you are done scoring a 32 rnd stage and you are on the way back to the start area and you see a guy grab some pasters and start out to paste only to realize he is to late, again. BE READY TO PASTE WHEN THE TARGETS ARE SCORED or PAINT ON THE RANGE CLEAR COMMAND

It is not hard to spot the lazy ones. The squad needs to be driven by the CRO and RO clearly, consistently and loudly. Many times shooters do not hear Clear Command, shooting order,etc. not everyone can hear as well as the uncertain tablet handler. There are a few shooters who do the crab walk when work is to be done but for the most part the squad majority needs to be driven with clean and clear directions at each end of course.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    It is not hard to spot the lazy ones. The squad needs to be driven by the CRO and RO clearly, consistently and loudly. Many times shooters do not hear Clear Command, shooting order,etc. not everyone can hear as well as the uncertain tablet handler. There are a few shooters who do the crab walk when work is to be done but for the most part the squad majority needs to be driven with clean and clear directions at each end of course.

I agree with this. On stages where the shooter is showing clear with some kind of barrier between him and the people uprange, if the RO only talks loud enough for the shooter to hear, there can be a lot of people either hanging back because they haven't heard a clear signal...or its evil twin, heading downrange while the gun is still out of the holster.

But back to the squad members again...although I'm all for loud ROs, maybe there could also be a section entitled, "Blabbering so loud the scorekeeper can't hear the scores being read off?" It's supposed to be a social sport, but Geez (some) people. I once saw this cause a re-shoot, right after the shooter had boned the stage and bounced several rounds off the blue drums (his mulligan went perfectly, however...:):).

JHB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2016
    Columbus
    I used to shoot USPSA in Ohio 25 years ago. We shot 4 different clubs a month. The shooter went up with the RO and score keeper to score his targets. at each set of targets there was some one waiting to paste them. The shooters not pasting would be busy picking up the shooters brass and mags for him.

Twenty five years later the first match I shot in Indiana went like this. RO calls a certain shooter. He doesn't have his gun on yet. Next stage same shooter he doesn't have his mags loaded yet. The day didn't get any better.
    Second match. RO, shooter and score keeper score targets. I go up to paste get about 1/2 the targets pasted some one else decides to help. Second stage same match my self and the other person paste. Everyone watching and yacking. Third stage same stuff RO finely says something. Almost forgot by the time we were finished with the first stage two squads were waiting on us to get done. The match director apologized for putting all the nubes on the same squad on INGO that I thank him for.
    Third match was a bit better but by that time I had enough that was two years ago. We don't want to even talk about the tear downs.

I shoot my club matches every one helps it is not as elaborate a match but it is a lot nicer to shoot with people that aren't lazy.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    I agree with this. On stages where the shooter is showing clear with some kind of barrier between him and the people uprange, if the RO only talks loud enough for the shooter to hear, there can be a lot of people either hanging back because they haven't heard a clear signal...or its evil twin, heading downrange while the gun is still out of the holster.

But back to the squad members again...although I'm all for loud ROs, maybe there could also be a section entitled, "Blabbering so loud the scorekeeper can't hear the scores being read off?" It's supposed to be a social sport, but Geez (some) people. I once saw this cause a re-shoot, right after the shooter had boned the stage and bounced several rounds off the blue drums (his mulligan went perfectly, however...:):).

Yep. And whille we are on the subject let's talk about Squad Invaders and Squad Deserters. That's when the next squad invades your bay and you haven't finished with your squad yet. So while you are trying to get thru your shooting roster, there are now some 20 to 30 shooters at the bay table. Buddies talking to buddies, shooters looking over the course when your squad isn't done yet. No body can hear crap. Mass confusion and some of your squad has already went to the next stage and deserted you with just a few peeps left to reset the course. Just sayin.

Last edited:

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    ive been shooting USPSA since '96, seems like the "problem" has gotten worse with shooters not wanting to help reset the stage. at least now a days with registration on practiscore at least i can pick and choose who i want, or dont want, to be squadded with ahead of time.
    i shoot for the "fun factor" shooting with others that dont want to help, turns a day of fun into a day of work.

:cheers:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GetLow16
    Top Bottom