• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MuncieFud

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2018
    Muncie
    I'm signing up for the March IDPA match at ACC. This is my first match so I'm coming into it a little nervous and was wondering how I go about picking a squad. I saw Trapper Jim in a squad and thought that he would be a great guy to squad with but wasn't sure of the proper etiquette. Is anyone planning to be their who would be willing to give a few pointers to a new competitor?

Does any of my current gear HAVE to be changed before my first match or could I make it work till I can afford a better setup?
    fullsizeoutput_353.jpg

jwo483

Shooter
    Rating - 96.9%
    31   1   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Westfield
    Trapper Jim would be a great one to get you started if he's there. Be careful though there are some you really don't want help from. Your gear looks fine for starters, but I've seen several shooters draw a Fobus holster with the gun.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Trapper Jim would be a great one to get you started if he's there. Be careful though there are some you really don't want help from. Your gear looks fine for starters, but I've seen several shooters draw a Fobus holster with the gun.

Be glad to have you on squad 3. Jwo483 is right about your holster but we can help you get thru the match.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    I'm signing up for the March IDPA match at ACC. This is my first match so I'm coming into it a little nervous and was wondering how I go about picking a squad. I saw Trapper Jim in a squad and thought that he would be a great guy to squad with but wasn't sure of the proper etiquette. Is anyone planning to be their who would be willing to give a few pointers to a new competitor?

Does any of my current gear HAVE to be changed before my first match or could I make it work till I can afford a better setup?
    View attachment 75051

If you would like to PM me I can meet you at the range this Friday if you like.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I am close(ish) to Muncie if you want to borrow a couple different holsters let me know.

I have one OWB leather holster and the rest are IWB. I don't know the rules for IDPA, nor do I shoot it. Just figured it might help you decide and maybe keep you from spending money on rigs that you don't like.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    I am signed up in squad #4, now just keeping an eye on the weather. As of now not great but doable with plenty of time for the forcast to change either way. I am guessing a fairly simple match, no steel just paper and sticks but that is just a guess. Jim.

MuncieFud

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2018
    Muncie
    I did make it to the match! I spent years kinda playing with the idea of competing but never thought I was ready. If you’re in that boat go and try it out!

I would practice drawing your gun until you feel incredibly confident in your ability to safely and consistently draw. After that get used to slide lock reloades. You can get to this point with maybe a week of dry fire. As far as accuracy if you can hit an 8 inch circle from 10 yards your just fine to start.

I shot maybe 100 rounds the week before the match which I felt wasn’t good enough, my reloades gave me some worries and I wasn’t ready to run them in a match, I felt like my accuracy wasn’t ready but it came together. If you’ve been shooting for any amount of time go give it a try!

ACC was a great place for a first match, the people were great, the stages were fun, and they were very welcoming to the new shooter.

Last edited:

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    Good match even if it was cold. It was a "busy" match with the five COF's and the classifier stages being run also. Normally there will be just one COF in each bay. Squad three that you were in had a bunch of good people in it and I am sure they were more than happy to give any help wanted. Making new shooters feel welcome and comfortable is how this or any other sport grows. Jim.

MuncieFud

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2018
    Muncie
    Unfortunately I got bumped from squad three to squad one. It worked out great though. The CRO for my squad was an amazing shooter and a huge help. I shot with a great group of guys. I wouldn’t have wanted my first match to go any other way, expect for the bombing of the classifiers.

It was my first match and I learned a lot but I plan to keep learning. If anyone saw me shoot I’d like to hear your constructive criticisms.

My names is Kole E. I finished 12th
    https://practiscore.com/results/new/75889?q_individual=0

Top Bottom