• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drm-hp

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Brownsburg
    Looking through the Shooting Sports category, I see lots of handgun shooters and disciplines. Are there any HPR shooters here?
    Being new this state/area I have some questions. The most important of which is, are there any local to Indianapolis clubs/ranges with 200-600 yard potential?
    Please advise,
    Doug

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    They be a few of us.

Wildcat Valley Rifle & Pistol Club = Wildcat Valley. Best 300 yard range in the State. Pits, SMT E-Targets, some very hard Indiana and Illinois shooters. Best place to be to work on position fundamentals and figure out how to get high X-counts.

www.cihprs.org = Camp Atterbury with 200 through 2,400? 2,500? Yards. XC, MR, and LR matches. Home of the NRA HP National Matches. 200 point pits, SMT E-targets. Possible ELR steel matches this year.

Only things we don't do is bench a rifle, or shoot at 100 yards. Military range, if ya know whud I mean.

Fall Creek Valley Conservation club in Markleville is also in your back door, with 100 yard walk and paste.

What "Doug" are you, and are you already on the National Match forum?

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    Just outside of Anderson in Ovid is Fall Creek conservation club, they shoot a reduced H gh power matches and they have a high power weekly league for members. They have been working on pushing out to two hundred byds, don't know if they have finished it yet.
    You can shoot out to 750 at Bass & Bucks in Walbash for 15 bucks a day.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    They be a few of us.

Wildcat Valley Rifle & Pistol Club = Wildcat Valley. Best 300 yard range in the State. Pits, SMT E-Targets, some very hard Indiana and Illinois shooters. Best place to be to work on position fundamentals and figure out how to get high X-counts.

www.cihprs.org = Camp Atterbury with 200 through 2,400? 2,500? Yards. XC, MR, and LR matches. Home of the NRA HP National Matches. 200 point pits, SMT E-targets. Possible ELR steel matches this year.

Only things we don't do is bench a rifle, or shoot at 100 yards. Military range, if ya know whud I mean.

Fall Creek Valley Conservation club in Markleville is also in your back door, with 100 yard walk and paste.

What "Doug" are you, and are you already on the National Match forum?

Nate, are you shooting the Midrange AR match this weekend?

I'm making my debut at said event.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Nate, are you shooting the Midrange AR match this weekend?

I'm making my debut at said event.

No, I can't make this one. I have a work-related event early in the morning Saturday. Bummer.

Best of luck to you, and if the wind ends up in your face, watch the target flags. For ****s and giggles, fire a shot on a gust from 12 o'clock and see what it does to your elevation. ;)

-Nate

rhslover

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 6, 2012
    Sycamore valley gun club, about an hour south of Indy does a reduced course match once a month. I've been out of the sport for a few years but may get back into it this summer.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    After action report for today's Mid Range match-- at least the tiny part of it that concerned me.

Midrange AR Tactical is a newer class-- it's all prone. No standing, kneeling, sitting, etc. All slow fire. And scopes up to 12x are allowed. Other than that, the gun is basically a Service Rifle. I like this class because it lets me take my stock DDM4V11, put a $300 12x SWFA on top and go shoot.

Weather was going to be a challenge today, and ultimately it won. But it had help. The Silver Mountain target server box was shorting inside the case and acting up all day. A few targets missed most of a relay before caught.

The delay for a replacement box put us in the teeth of the rain. We took a break after 300y and ended up waiting nearly 4 hours only to try to squeeze in a 600y relay and then abort that.

I managed to finish my 300y string despite some ammo issues:
    hRo925y.png

After the delay, I somewhat hurriedly ripped off the 600y string in the downpour, the wheels pretty much fell off the wagon there.
    i7arWvo.jpg

The weather made it a pretty miserable shoot overall, and the target complications didn't make it easier.

Still, I have to say I was so impressed overall. Lots of great shooters and great people to meet and get to know.

I also learned why so many people use "long line" loads with the heavier bullets. My 73ELD load fell apart at 600y in the wind. It's just too slow and too low a BC to cut the wind. (target impact velocity was averaging 1374fps at 600y).

Special thanks to Shawn for organizing this all and managing very ably the frustration with the target server.

And a special thanks to Ryan Hyslop, a friend, colleague and great guy, not to mention a great shooter. Ryan basically made this day possible for me, hooking me up with so many things a newbie like me didn't have-- shooting mat, sled, rear bag, etc etc. Thanks, Ryan for your guidance and generosity.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I loath shooting at Atterbury in the rain. And I've done it more times than I care to remember.

Fine job Hohn picking up from the sighters @ 200. Looks like the wind (and rain) wreaked havoc at 6.

Here's to good times sorting out the SM target system back at the beginning..

1903at-Atterbury02062016bsmall.jpg

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I think the main contributor to my 600y problem was that the target fell down 8 shots into the string. I shot the last 12 at the backer guessing where the target would’ve been.

That rain, ugh.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I think the main contributor to my 600y problem was that the target fell down 8 shots into the string. I shot the last 12 at the backer guessing where the target would’ve been.

That rain, ugh.

Well, the good news is you have your elevation dope dialed in..

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Well, the good news is you have your elevation dope dialed in..

Maybe. That 73ELD load is very mild, about 2520 FPS back calculating from my impact velocities at the target. Slow and low-ish BC means wind sensitivity. I was tweaking between sighters.

I think finding a load that was heavier bullet and/or higher velocity would help.

I just stuck with this load because it printed so well at 100 and wasn’t out of gas at 300.

I need to do some experiments with 75/80 class bullets.

I think next time I’ll try the 3x600.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Indeed. With a grand total of 1/3rd of a single match under my belt, I’m as new at this as ever could be.

We all start somewhere, where that is matters little compared to the fact that we started and are progressing.

Top Bottom