• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MuncieFud

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2018
    Muncie
    Where do you draw the line between doing what you can to be competitive and gaming? I know that a lot of people believe you should shoot what you carry and anything other than that is gaming.

I shoot my full size M&P which is a gun that I can and do carry on occasion, I have the holster wear to prove it. I came across base pads that would make my full size gun just barley fit the ccp box.

While I’m proficient with the shield I carry everyday it’s not as nice to shoot all day.

My interpretation is in my senario running my M&P in ssp wouldn’t be gaming but if I bought the low profile base pad to get the biggest gun possible in CCP that is gaming because I could actually have an advantage over the people shooting in my division.

Any thoughts? Agree? Disagree?

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I've had this discussion with myself a few times. Will I use this as training or just to have fun? I do both.

I'm not classified and only shoot 4 or 5 matches a year between IDPA, USPSA and Steel Challenge. I make the decision before I go in if I'll game or "train". One factor that helps me is if I have friends I'm shooting with. I'll usually game when they're there. Steel Challenge and USPSA are always games to me though.

If I train, I use a IWB holster. I've even used my 4" XDs instead of my XDm 5.25.

I'm waiting for a BUG match so I can try my LCR in .327 Federal mag from pocket carry.

So to answer your question, if you would EDC with the basepad, I wouldn't consider it gaming.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    If it fits in the box, it fits in the box. Lots of shooters modify things as much as they can while staying legal, nothing wrong with that. I don't think you will find that many shooting their actual carry gun but there are a few. I carry any one of several guns depending on where I am going and what I will be wearing with my favorite being a S&W 4513TSW. Others are a S&W 4506, Glock 26 or a S&W 65 and when I do carry my competition gun it is a S&W 625 JM. Once in a while I shoot a S&W 66 but mostly the 625. To me it is just a ball to shoot the big revolver and when the reloads and my aim come together it is really nice.
    I don't need to see my scores to know if I had a good day and I can have a good day even if I shot lousy. Don't get me wrong I still like to do well in my division and enjoy bragging rights with my friends. With me it is about being with my friends and I have been shooting at ACC for enough years I have a lot of them. Jim.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    IDPA is a game. Use it to have the most fun you can. Stay within the rules and get all the trigger time that you can get. You can shoot for Top Gun. You can shoot for Top Division. You can shoot for Top Class. You can shoot for Top Category. You can shoot for personal goals and forget everyone else. Having said this, on the otherhand, if you have been shooting any shooting sport game for more than a year and you are still in the bottom half, you might want to get some professional help with your training agenda. Carrying a gun on the street brings a huge amount of responsibility and there is no better place than the shooting sports to improve your ability.

MuncieFud

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2018
    Muncie
    I would assume people on the forum are generally more competitive, do you think the average shooter who’s maybe middle of the pack a few years in feels the same way?

Are light hearted rivalries a thing in the shooting sports? Still getting to know the scene.

(If they’re not then) I hope I get the chance to meet you next month Jim, maybe even find time to come train with you soon.

(If they are) You better watch out I’m coming for that top five spot :p

Kole

Last edited:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have only shot 2 or 3 IDPA matches and 2 steel challenge matches.

I have been thinking about all this also and have decided that I'm going to buy a "do it all" pistol. I will take it to the range. I will take it to training classes. I will use it for home protection. I will carry it.

And if I ever do another match, I will use it for that also.

I have a Shield also and though I carry it, I have never taken it to a training class. This is going to stop.

Fuzz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    LaFONTAINE
    Though it is a game. Learning to shoot and move, control the front sight, learning to shoot as fast as you can, Learning when you have to slow down and be more precise, etc etc are good things to learn and will help you a lot in a real life situation.

That being said there is no real training you can forgo to teach this. So other than being a Cop on 3rd shift on Chicago's south side or join the Army and volunteer for the latest hotspot you might as well train and enjoy the game because most will not train on their own like you need to to become that Tactical Badazz.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I see no functional difference between "being competitive" and "gaming." They're essentially the same thing, although the latter term has a negative connotation among some.

If you're trying to be competitive in a sport and trying to win, you are by necessity "gaming" whether it fits someone's pet definition of gaming or not.

Rules? Check
    Points? Check
    Penalties? Check
    Timer? Check
    Keeping score? Check

It's a game.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I’ve never been treated more poorly in the shooting sports disciplines than I was at an IDPA match. YMMV

I would be curious to how you were treated. I can't say I have been treated poorly but I have experienced some of the "elitist" attitude among some of the shooting sports.

I have either spectated and/or participated in most of the different shooting sports and for me, as far as spectating goes, it appears the CASS group is probably the most friendly and as far as what I have participated in, Trap has the most helpful people.

The day I watched a CASS event, I must have had 3-4 people try to get me to take their gear and run a course. And old shotgunners love to help noobs bust more birds.

It's interesting to note that those two sports mentioned above tend to have an older group of folks participating. :)

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    I’ve never been treated more poorly in the shooting sports disciplines than I was at an IDPA match. YMMV

Would like to hear more about this. I and several others have hand carried many through this game. My home club even has a special meeting for first timers before the match. Just curious is all.

MuncieFud

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2018
    Muncie
    I can’t say enough good things about Atlanta Conservation Club. I was a new shooter last week and it was a great experience. Just about everyone was incredibly friendly and everyone who was associated with the match was very helpful and kind. Come to an IDPA match at ACC, you’ll have a great time.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    I see no functional difference between "being competitive" and "gaming." They're essentially the same thing, although the latter term has a negative connotation among some.

If you're trying to be competitive in a sport and trying to win, you are by necessity "gaming" whether it fits someone's pet definition of gaming or not.

Rules? Check
    Points? Check
    Penalties? Check
    Timer? Check
    Keeping score? Check

It's a game.

Right On Rhino...and because it is a game and the shooter has done his part in participating (hard work, steadfast commitment and usually an entry fee) in the sport, it is important that the game is ran by the rules and we encourage more shooters to take part. To the people that take gaming as a negative, they possibly are trying to make themselves feel better about their scores. Or perhaps they do not like the compromise in shooting or equipment that it may take to game a stage. Either way it is all good as the shooter can play anyone he wants and the trigger time is priceless. We have all seen the good ol boy matches that are either not monitored by the parent association or just plain run them outlaw. While these clubs have fun with a few shooters the Admin of these Associations need to help bring the club along for the betterment of the shooting sports. Indiana is blessed with great clubs and hard working people to run them.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Would like to hear more about this. I and several others have hand carried many through this game. My home club even has a special meeting for first timers before the match. Just curious is all.

I can’t say enough good things about Atlanta Conservation Club. I was a new shooter last week and it was a great experience. Just about everyone was incredibly friendly and everyone who was associated with the match was very helpful and kind. Come to an IDPA match at ACC, you’ll have a great time.

I have watched a match there once and I agree, the people were very nice. They also offered me their gear to try it.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Right On Rhino...and because it is a game and the shooter has done his part in participating (hard work, steadfast commitment and usually an entry fee) in the sport, it is important that the game is ran by the rules and we encourage more shooters to take part. Or perhaps they do not like the compromise in shooting or equipment that it may take to game a stage. Either way it is all good as the shooter can play anyone he wants and the trigger time is priceless. Indiana is blessed with great clubs and hard working people to run them.

Jim, I have been thinking I might try IDPA again if I get me vision issues straightened out. I'm going to another eye doc today that understands shooting to see if he can help me.

My goal is to participate with my carry/home defense/training/range pistol. I am going to adopt a "one gun" to do it all and see how it works. I suspect that I may be a little compromised when it comes to shooting action matches but I really just want to become as proficient and familiar with my pistol as possible and have fun.

I suspect that I may not be as competitive as the folks that run purpose chosen firearms. Is this an accurate statement?

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Jim, I have been thinking I might try IDPA again if I get me vision issues straightened out. I'm going to another eye doc today that understands shooting to see if he can help me.

My goal is to participate with my carry/home defense/training/range pistol. I am going to adopt a "one gun" to do it all and see how it works. I suspect that I may be a little compromised when it comes to shooting action matches but I really just want to become as proficient and familiar with my pistol as possible and have fun.

I suspect that I may not be as competitive as the folks that run purpose chosen firearms. Is this an accurate statement?

There is nothing wrong with your idea of running one gun. We used to have a saying. .beware of the man with a battle worn pistol….he knows how to use it. While true that there are several different choices for equipment that can enable a better score, the process is still not the hammer but the carpenter theory. In other words, I am strong believer in shooting whatever you have until the end justifies the means. When with practice and training you reach your limitations with your current firearm, then you will know when it’s time to move into something different. As far as scoring disadvantages in the sports, I think you should master your personal best first with whatever you have. The marketing and merchandising of so many choices is overwhelming in the equipment race today. Many shooters usually buy the wrong gun for them first. Could be it is because of a flashy advertisement or a clerk behind a counter that is trying to make his bonus or someone else’s opinion on what you should have or you just out perform the gun someday. The good news is The S&W Shield is a good product and sells very well and It will go along way with your needs in every way. I hope this help sand good luck at the eyeball doctors.

JHB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2016
    Columbus

Rules? Check
    Points? Check
    Penalties? Check
    Timer? Check
    Keeping score? Check

It's a game.

I guess I see gaming different than others. When you build a gun up to the rules that is not gaming. The rules are there to even the playing field. When you play by the rules you are competing.
    When the 6'6" person shoots his targets over the wall instead of at the ends like everybody else has to. A gun that has a aftermarket trigger stippling in places that put it in a higher class than he is shooting in and loads that don't make power factor for faster follow up shots. That I call gaming.

If the shooter is the type of person that can't stand loosing to some one playing by the rules he has a problem.
    When I see this kind of stuff I laugh and say ok whatever.
    What realty gives me a chuckle is seeing the old man twice the age of the gamer walk not run through the stages and smoke the person that is basically cheating.
    People can game all the want they are still losers.

jwo483

Shooter
    Rating - 96.9%
    31   1   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Westfield
    Where do you draw the line between doing what you can to be competitive and gaming? I know that a lot of people believe you should shoot what you carry and anything other than that is gaming.

I shoot my full size M&P which is a gun that I can and do carry on occasion, I have the holster wear to prove it. I came across base pads that would make my full size gun just barley fit the ccp box.

While I’m proficient with the shield I carry everyday it’s not as nice to shoot all day.

My interpretation is in my senario running my M&P in ssp wouldn’t be gaming but if I bought the low profile base pad to get the biggest gun possible in CCP that is gaming because I could actually have an advantage over the people shooting in my division.

Any thoughts? Agree? Disagree?

A full size M & P will NOT fit the CCP box, with or without base pads. A compact will. The box is supposed to prevent gaming, if it fit's it's kosher.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom