• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chr15topher

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    New Albany
    I’ve really been contemplating on trying to shoot USPSA. Do I think I’d be absolutely terrible right now? Yes, I’ve never shot anything competitively.

I’ve reached out to become a member at the Silver Creek Conservation Club to find some like-minded people, just waiting to hear back.

I’m really interested in the single stack division because of my love for the 1911 platform. Any recommendations or tips that you’d recommend for someone very, very new into this sort of thing?

Much appreciated,
    Chris D.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Do it. You'll be happy you did, no matter how serious you get about competition. The gun handling skills you develop will be phenomenal and help you drastically in your carry for self defense.

JHB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2016
    Columbus
    USPSA is a lot of fun one thing to remember don't rush your shots speed will come with experience and practice.

blkrifle

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    terre haute
    USPSA matches are open to the public. Indiana has matches every weekend. They are announced on this forum.

1st saturday: wild cat valley, brookston
    1st sunday: south central gun club, freetown
    2nd sunday: silver creek cc, sellarsburg and warsaw rifle club, warsaw
    3rd sunday: wvpps at riley conservation club, riley and fort wayne rifle and pistol club, harlan
    4th sat& sunday: atlanta conservation club, atlanta,in.

Chr15topher

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    New Albany
    USPSA matches are open to the public. Indiana has matches every weekend. They are announced on this forum.

1st saturday: wild cat valley, brookston
    1st sunday: south central gun club, freetown
    2nd sunday: silver creek cc, sellarsburg and warsaw rifle club, warsaw
    3rd sunday: wvpps at riley conservation club, riley and fort wayne rifle and pistol club, harlan
    4th sat& sunday: atlanta conservation club, atlanta,in.
    Excuse my ignorance, but are spectators welcome? I’d like to check one out.

dung

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2017
    Charlestwon
    Watch a few videos on YouTube to get an idea of how to get Started. Just bring what you have and shoot. The guys at silver creek are great to shoot with. You don’t need to be a member to compete.

I started last summer and have a few IDPA and uspsa matches under my belt. You will have a good time regardless of the times you post.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Yes
    You need ear and eye protection and feel free to ask questions.
    We have a new shooters meeting before the match and you are welcome to attend that to get a brief overview of the rules.

IsThatLegal?

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 11, 2017
    Whitestown
    Come out and watch, or come out and shoot. 90+% of shooters will be happy to answer any questions you may have. Safe gun handling is the priority. You will have fun and you will learn a lot. Your gun handling skills will improve dramatically.

Diesel24v

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 27, 2012
    Central
    I’d recommend just shooting the match instead of spectating. You’ll wish you’d have brought your stuff right away. Every club I’ve shot at has been very welcoming to new shooters and will usually let you shoot last in your squad so that you can see how things work before you shoot.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    You could always start with Steel challenge matches, the gateway "drug" to competitive shooting. This based on your comment a about being new to shooting.

Fuzz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    LaFONTAINE
    Lots of info on you tube that will help get started and get you rolling in advance. Pay attention to your rig and equipment as far as what you need.

Tell the Range Master when you arrive.
    Remember the range is a cold range for USPSA. Don't show up with your carry weapon on you.
    Try to have fun and enjoy.

Remember: You will never be good enough to not be nervous for your first match.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Something to keep in mind while watching You Tube videos is don't get wrapped up in what you see. A lot of the videos are better shooters shooting stages they did well on. While there are really good shooters at the club level most are just average shooters having fun and enjoying the day on the range with friends. Once you shoot a few matches you can decide if you just want to have fun or really try to improve you shooting and work your way up the results.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    People think, I know how to shoot a gun, I've shot a deer, I've been around them all my life, I was in the military, etc, etc, etc.

I'll wager right now that the bottom 5 shooters in *any* randomly-selected USPSA match, as a group, are better gun-handlers than 90% of people who have ever - and I mean ever - shot a gun.
    After you have been shooting it for 6 months, you will not recognize the shooter you were before you started. If you shoot two years and quit, you'll still know more about how to practice, improve, and analyze your weaknesses than somebody who shoots Bill Drill after Bill Drill after Bill Drill in practice, but who has never competed.

Don't get caught up in the track meet aspect of the sport. Engage in it for what it is, have your fun and get your hits, and even if you never progress beyond the level of a grunt weekend match shooter, it is guaranteed the effort invested will pay for itself over your lifetime***

(***of course, you could totally "get bit" by the bug, too...)

Last edited:

Chr15topher

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    New Albany
    Lots of great info, thanks! I’ve been watching a lot of YouTube videos on rules like the safe zones, 180 rule, when to load, etc... I think I will swing out.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Lots of great info, thanks! I’ve been watching a lot of YouTube videos on rules like the safe zones, 180 rule, when to load, etc... I think I will swing out.

The advice to take your gun and shoot is well placed, however, if you're like me and most others, you won't feel comfortable showing up and signing up the first time. I would still ask at the sign-up table if they can recommend you a squad to follow over the course of a few stages, just like you're with them. He or she will probably match you up with a group who are approachable, and then just tag along. You will get more out of it, and will be surprised what you pick up by hanging with the same group of people over the course of a few stages, listening and "shooting the crap" with them.

Last edited:

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    When you show up, USPSA matches are cold range, meaning, no loaded firearm. Bring your gun cased or in a gun bag. You can only handle your gun at the safe table (where you can holster your firearm) or with an RO. You can handle ammo anywhere except the safe table.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Probably worth watching if you are not familiar with the safety rules. Everybody says just show up and shoot but I think that is a horrible idea if you aren't comfortable with handling a gun safely while moving (based on having a couple or three first time competitors point 45's at me about center mass or at my naughty bits, for some reason it is always a 45). If you have put some thought and backyard practice into moving with a gun safely then I like the show up and shoot idea, only you can gauge your comfort zone.

watch

From where you are at, the Lexington club is another good option, Owensboro's club (ORPCI.ORG) is a couple hours drive but has a match 3/16 if you are froggy.

I think Silver Creek was doing USPSA informal afternoon practices on Tuesday's last year, might be a thing to ask about.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    If you aren't ready to commit yet bring your gun and ammo to Silver Creek or South Central or Owensboro and find me. Hint I'm the idiot shooting a Revolver.
    After the match I will walk you through a stage and let you get the feel for what is going on.
    You don't even need a holster or mag pouches to do this. If you have them you can certainly use them.
    Leave your unloaded gun in a box or bag in your vehicle until we talk.
    Hope to see you at the range.

MuncieFud

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2018
    Muncie
    I've been a long time shooter and finally decided to make the leap into competition. I'm taking an intro to USPSA class next month and I have an IDPA match under my belt, so I'm low on the totem pole around here but I think I'm one step ahead on the learning curve so from one new competitor to another, DRY FIRE! I bought dry fire reloaded on amazon for $10 and think it was a great investment. Even though I'm still slow having the ability to do all the required gun manipulations safely and smoothly has been a big help.

Top Bottom