• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • longbeard

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    United States
    Any advice on the best method of shooting this classifier? Paper first then steel? Draw to the closest paper or steel first? Any help will be great, thanks

https://uspsa.org/viewer//18-07.pdf

There's no best way. Any way has pros and cons. The draw and the shot after the reload are the most technical shots due to acquiring a grip. Outside of that you have 4 good sight picture shots and 4 adequate sight picture shots.

Steel you have little options. You have to shoot that array from a draw or reload.

Paper you have an option of a close, open target to acquire grip against if you wish.

If acquiring grip is not a challenge for you, you can take the slow no shoot first and gain speed on the open targets.

Personally I'd draw to steel. Then do paper right to left. YMMV

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Paper first, draw to the closest wide open target. Finish on the steel after reload.

I agree with this method. If you shoot steel first you have to make sure and have it down before the reload. You don't want that pause.

Good on paper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 18, 2017
    Indianapolis
    It shouldn’t matter if you draw on T1 or T3, in theory the draw time is the same as is the time to get an acceptable sight picture regardless of the difficulty, it’s just in a different order. That being said I’d do T3, 2 and then 1 and then reload and hit the mini poppers.

I have a pretty good index but it just makes sense to me to draw on the largest, closest target and have the confidence to drop the steel quickly after the reload.
    Maybe that’s why I’m a B class shooter :)

romack991

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    Best advice I can give you is shoot it like any other stage. Typically we trash classifiers trying to go for broke on them.

I haven't shot this but it looks like a modest hit factor. My approach would be get all the points or very close C's. The paper targets are set up so you have to throttle your speed. Most people are going to start on the closest paper. You can be aggressive on the first target or two but definitely have to place your shots on the partial. It's basically a speed trap. Penalties are unacceptable. If minor, I'm still aiming for As. If major, aim at the middle of the C. Quick reload and then focus on going one for one on steel. Short stage time so makeups on steel will add up quick.

-Tim

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Draw. Throw two shots as fast as you can pull the trigger and in the general direction of the steel. Reload and shoot the paper with aimed shots and then reengage the steel if needed.

In general I think I is a bad idea to try and do better on classifiers than your field course skill would allow you to shoot the same target arrays on a regular stage. It is better to be a class X shooter with X + 1 field course skills than the other way around.

harleymac1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2013
    Morgan County
    For a newbie in the bunch, when it says engage T1-T3 on a classifier can the shooter shoot them in any order or do you have to shoot T1 then T2, etc?

longbeard

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    United States
    For a newbie in the bunch, when it says engage T1-T3 on a classifier can the shooter shoot them in any order or do you have to shoot T1 then T2, etc?
    You can engage the array however you wish. The WSB (Written Stage Briefing) would specify if otherwise, but I doubt there's one that specifies a particular order of a multi-target string.

A lot of times you will see engagement order for single target sequences. i.e. Engage T1 with two shots, reload, then engage T3 with two shots.

harleymac1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2013
    Morgan County
    You can engage the array however you wish. The WSB (Written Stage Briefing) would specify if otherwise, but I doubt there's one that specifies a particular order of a multi-target string.

A lot of times you will see engagement order for single target sequences. i.e. Engage T1 with two shots, reload, then engage T3 with two shots.

I appreciate the info longbeard

mongo404

Master
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Frankfort
    Fast and Accurate and call your shots...

I'd be willing to bet that 99% of shooters draw times to T1 Or T3 that there will be a huge difference. No way you're going to draw into a partial at 12 yards the same as you will the full target at 7 yards.

So IMO T3, T2,T1 reload steel

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Best advice I can give you is shoot it like any other stage. Typically we trash classifiers trying to go for broke on them.

I haven't shot this but it looks like a modest hit factor. My approach would be get all the points or very close C's. The paper targets are set up so you have to throttle your speed. Most people are going to start on the closest paper. You can be aggressive on the first target or two but definitely have to place your shots on the partial. It's basically a speed trap. Penalties are unacceptable. If minor, I'm still aiming for As. If major, aim at the middle of the C. Quick reload and then focus on going one for one on steel. Short stage time so makeups on steel will add up quick.

-Tim

Draw. Throw two shots as fast as you can pull the trigger and in the general direction of the steel. Reload and shoot the paper with aimed shots and then reengage the steel if needed.

In general I think I is a bad idea to try and do better on classifiers than your field course skill would allow you to shoot the same target arrays on a regular stage. It is better to be a class X shooter with X + 1 field course skills than the other way around.

This method can be observed at any match.

sv40sw45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    South Indiana
    I shot this at Wildcat this month. Shot T3 first and reloaded into USP's. Though I shot it fairly well (It was COLD) 4.87 36 pt. = 75% in Open. This all comes down to draw time and reload speed.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    This method can be observed at any match.

Wouldn't do it that way as I'm destined to spend life as a should still be in C class hacker. For a hero/zero type either you get lucky on the steel the first time around, or you just leave it standing, or if you shoot at it again apparently earnestly but be casual about it.

Was really hoping somebody would get ruffled about re-engaging the first group after shooting the second, the internet is no fun when people won't play.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    WTH? USPSA no longer has one file w/ all the classifiers? If I want to have them all available on my phone I have to download dozens of damn files?

sigh, USPSA web developers. sigh

-rvb

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville

-Tim

Wouldn't do it that way as I'm destined to spend life as a should still be in C class hacker. For a hero/zero type either you get lucky on the steel the first time around, or you just leave it standing, or if you shoot at it again apparently earnestly but be casual about it.

Was really hoping somebody would get ruffled about re-engaging the first group after shooting the second, the internet is no fun when people won't play.

You are an open book. The best thing when you are wanting to ruffle someone is to ruffle you by not falling for it.

Some of the internet is happy this morning

Top Bottom