• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MuncieFud

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2018
    Muncie
    I'm looking into getting the M&P 2.0 and setting it up for USPSA. On the original M&P that I shoot now it auto forwards very reliably and it's something I like. The 2.0 doesn't, if I were to remove the detent allowing it to auto forward would this be within the rules? I know removing of a safety is a no-go. I don't believe this would qualify as removing a safety. Am I wrong in my thinking? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Before anyone says it, I practice racking the slide in the event that it doesn't auto forward. It's a question on the rules not on how you think I should shoot.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    If you stage plan properly there is never a slide lock reload. I have a M&P 2.0 5" and all I have done is install an extended mag release and a fiber optic front sight. Buy plenty of extra mags and you're good! :ingo:

edit: I removed the thumb safety. S&W will send you the frame plugs free of chage.

MuncieFud

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2018
    Muncie
    Is that allowed? I have a compact I did that too but I wasn't sure if it was allowed in USPSA. Technically you are removing a safety but they also make a version without the safety.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    Is that allowed? I have a compact I did that too but I wasn't sure if it was allowed in USPSA. Technically you are removing a safety but they also make a version without the safety.

External modifications are now allowed in USPSA production class.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    No, safeties must remain operational. D4 22.1

Technically that is correct. I was told that a serial number check would have to be done to confirm since a no-saftey model is available.

Saw some really bad stage planning involving a 15 yard Texas Star yesterday :) .

So your must have been at Owensboro. Since the 15 yard star was such a problem Gary will probably move it out to 20 yards today! :): I'll be there and report back.:rockwoot:

romack991

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    Technically that is correct. I was told that a serial number check would have to be done to confirm since a no-saftey model is available.

There are 100s of ways you can break the rules and not get caught. It's still cheating. I'd start getting advice from other people.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    There are 100s of ways you can break the rules and not get caught. It's still cheating. I'd start getting advice from other people.

"Win if you can, lose if you must, but always cheat."

-Jesse The Body Ventura.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    With respect to Rules 8.1.2.1 and 8.1.2.3, the term “safety” means the primary visible safety lever on the handgun (e.g. the thumb safety on a “1911” genre handgun). In the event of doubt, the Range Master is the final authority on this matter.
    See also Appendix C2 Item 47
    In Production division, all safeties (internal and external) must be fully functional

APPENDIX D4 – Production Division

21.6 Exchange of minor External components
    Sights, firing pins, firing pin retainers, pins, extractors, magazine releases, slide stops, thumb safeties, triggers, hammers, bushings, and ejectors MAY be replaced with OFM or aftermarket parts.

Last edited:

Fuzz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    LaFONTAINE
    With respect to Rules 8.1.2.1 and 8.1.2.3, the term “safety” means the primary visible safety lever on the handgun (e.g. the thumb safety on a “1911” genre handgun). In the event of doubt, the Range Master is the final authority on this matter.
    See also Appendix C2 Item 47
    In Production division, all safeties (internal and external) must be fully functional

APPENDIX D4 – Production Division

21.6 Exchange of minor External components
    Sights, firing pins, firing pin retainers, pins, extractors, magazine releases, slide stops, thumb safeties, triggers, hammers, bushings, and ejectors MAY be replaced with OFM or aftermarket parts.

It says EXCHANGE, not remove. It can be replaced with a different one. Not removed.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    It says EXCHANGE, not remove. It can be replaced with a different one. Not removed.

Correct for PRODUCTION. The OP never said he was shooting production. I shot Limited at a level 1 match and it was not seen as an unfair advantage. " In the event of doubt, the Range Master is the final authority on this matter."

Fuzz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    LaFONTAINE
    Correct for PRODUCTION. The OP never said he was shooting production. I shot Limited at a level 1 match and it was not seen as an unfair advantage. " In the event of doubt, the Range Master is the final authority on this matter."

Not according to your post #4

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    Not according to your post #4

We both assumed he was shooting production. My point is the rules are very gray. I no longer shoot my M&P in competition but if I ever did the other "D" shooters would be at a great disadvantage. :):

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    So can I remove the detent so it auto forwards? Now that the safety question has been answered.

What you are calling “auto forward” was a bug not a feature of the original M&P, which would occasionally fail to strip a round and result in an empty chamber. Learn to rack the slide or plan the stage better.

indygunguy

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    110   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    NE Side of Indy
    What you are calling “auto forward” was a bug not a feature of the original M&P, which would occasionally fail to strip a round and result in an empty chamber. Learn to rack the slide or plan the stage better.

Indeed. I used to get that auto-forward thing on my Glock 19. Super aggravating to me. One of the many reasons I now carry a M&P 2.0 Compact.

Top Bottom