• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cschwanz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    What kind of competition uses just 22lr?

Or is it part of a larger competition, that has a 22 division?

There is a growing long range precision .22 matches that have come from the PRS world. Plus the rimfire divisions of Steel Challenge. I'm sure there are more out there I don't know about. Which Id be happy to learn :)

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Note: I don't compete...

But if I did, I'd personally not use the Fed bulk pack stuff. Note - I said personally. It's GREAT for plinking and punching holes in paper at a range, but if I were depending upon it to perform for competition, I'd use something a little more reliable in my firearms.

It just seems that this type of bulk pack ammo is what I have the most misfires and/or failures-to-extract with across all my .22 firearms.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Im not a competition shooter but do have a precision 10/22 i built and it loves Eley Club at 100 yards. Have very similar results with Eley match and target also. That being said at 50 yards Federal Automatch, Cci sv, and Cci blazer have been capable of sub moa with the right conditions

CAMO66

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Effingham, IL.
    I shoot a 25yd and 50yd benchrest match on Fri nights and use Fed 922A for 25yd and Fed UM22 for the 50yd. Most of the guys are using this or Lapua CenterX. A few are going up in cost to Eley Tenex but what really matters is what your rifle likes. We're in the .400 and under group size and this is out side to out side measurements.
    Hope it helps.

Beans&Bullets

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 18, 2010
    Terre Haute, IN
    In Steel Challenge, I run Federal Bulk or CCI Mini Mags in my M&P 15-22 rifle. I run CCI Standard velocity in my Volquartsen pistol. In Bowling Pin Shoots I run Browning High Velocity in my M&P rifle and again, CCI Standard Velocity in my Volquartsen pistol. In .22 Long Rifle matches, I have been running Eley Standard velocity in my CZ452 rifle. In Rimfire Challenge matches, I shoot Federal Bulk in the rifle and CCI Mini Mags in my Ruger 22/45. In Rimfire Madness matches I shoot any available bulk Federal ammo, such as the Black Label that was on sale with the rebate at Thanksgiving in both my rifle and pistols.

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    I run aguila in my MK IV 22/45, and federal auto match in my mossberg 715T.

Auto match runs well in the Ruger as well.

:cheers:

Last edited:

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Totally depends on the competition...so you have to define what you want the ammo to do.

I shoot everything from CCI SV through Eley Match and R100.

CCI does things Eley cannot do, and certainly vice versa.

cakelly1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2010
    Columbus
    I run what works in my guns. Luckily Federal Auto Match is the go to, as it functions in my 10/22 and 22/45. And it is relatively cheap and easy to find again.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Precision - Eley Orange and Yellow in silhouette rifles and (now) Free Pistol since I ran out of my old stuff. I have a CZ455 that has never seen a single round of non-Eley ammo. CCI SV and (now some) Lapua OSP in pistol sustained fire.

Non-precision - I don't shoot any .22 competitions that are non-precision...but if I did, I suspect it would be anything that makes the gun run.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom