• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Woohoo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2019
    Muncie
    Hello, I'm brand new to the forum and I'm not even sure if this is the right place to post this.

I've owned guns all my life but recently I've been very intrigued by competitive pistol shooting. There seem to be so many divisions and styles though that I can't seem to decipher what's going on.

Specifically here is my question. What divisions or competition styles are out there for pistols, both centerfire and rimfire? And how would one go about getting involved at the amateur level?

I appreciate the help in advance!

blkrifle

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    terre haute
    steel challenge is the easiest to get started in. steelchallenge.com
    USPSA is fun! uspsa.org
    follow this forum, most indiana matches are announced here

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    ------- What divisions or competition styles are out there for pistols, both centerfire and rimfire? And how would one go about getting involved at the amateur level?

Start with Steel Challenge. You can shoot both CF and RF at the same event. As a beginner, tell the match director and your squad that you're new and you don't want to shoot back to back (if you take more than one gun). That way you can have time to either catch your breath or reload for the next gun or stage. Just show up with eyepro/earpro, 150-200 rounds and 4-5 magazines for each gun. (I'd say a minimum of 3. Others can help you reload if needed).
    You don't need any other equipment but the guns must be unloaded and in a case or proper holster. Watch some YouTube vids as well and get ready for a lot of fun!

Good on paper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 18, 2017
    Indianapolis
    +1 for eyecarry
    I would highly recommend steel challenge to get you used to following RO instructions and shooing on the clock safely.
    USPSA has a lot of movement involved and that increases the chance of breaking the 180 or sweeping yourself.
    It’s definitely a lot of fun and if I have to choose between SC and USPSA on the same day USPSA wins.
    Be safe and have fun!

Friday Night Steel at Marion Co Fish & Game is pretty beginner friendly

Last edited:

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Hello, I'm brand new to the forum and I'm not even sure if this is the right place to post this.

I've owned guns all my life but recently I've been very intrigued by competitive pistol shooting. There seem to be so many divisions and styles though that I can't seem to decipher what's going on.

Specifically here is my question. What divisions or competition styles are out there for pistols, both centerfire and rimfire? And how would one go about getting involved at the amateur level?

For what you've described....Steel Challenge. An action sport, fun & fast & easy to get in to, excellent for entry level shooters such as yourself. If you're interested in accuracy oriented events, that's another posting....

2-Alpha

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2018
    Indianapolis area
    The "action shooting" matches basically come down to 3 main styles:

1. USPSA, IDPA, and "Carry Gun"
    This is your classic "run and gun" style match. Cardboard silhouettes, steel "poppers" (knock-over plates), and occasionally other targets. Start from holstered, usually involves reloading and moving between groups of targets. Sometimes involves shooting over/around/under barricades, etc. Most matches are 5-7 stages, 12-36 rounds per stage. Most stages are scored "hit factor" which is points divided by time, so you have to be both fast and accurate.
    For centerfire 9mm and up. You'll need a strong-side belt holster and at least 3 mags and mag carriers, more for a single-stack.
    USPSA and IDPA are two national bodies that sanction matches. INGO member Coach runs "Carry Gun" matches that are similar to USPSA/IDPA, but biased more towards accuracy and with lower round counts.
    This is what most people picture when you say "action shooting" but it's not where I would recommend starting for your first match.

2. Steel Challenge (SCSA)
    All targets are steel plates. Scored only by time, lowest time wins. Most matches are 5-8 stages, and you run each stage 3-5 times. No reloading during a stage and you start from low ready position, so no drawing from the holster on the clock. No moving during the stage. Usually you keep the gun holstered between stages, but some places (like Friday Night Steel) let you bag/unbag at the line so you don't even need a holster. No mag carriers needed, but you'll need at least 3 mags. Centerfire 9mm and up, and also .22 divisions.
    This is where I'd suggest starting for your first match. The safety rules and procedures are basically the same as USPSA/IDPA, so once you're comfortable with the format you can move on easily to the other.

3. Bowling Pins & Texas Star
    These are head-to-head brackets, 2 shooters at a time. Fastest to clear all the targets wins the bracket. I believe you start from low ready, and no moving between targets. Centerfire 9mm and up, and also .22 divisions. (Targets are adjusted to compensate for the power levels.)

Any of the groups would let you come watch for free. Just bring eye and ear protection. (And expect at least 2 or 3 people offer to loan you a gun and try to talk you iinto shooting.) When you go shoot the first time, just let them know when you sign in that you're new, and they'll help you out. Make sure you show up with the gun unloaded, and don't bring it in to sign-up. They'll let you know where the "safe table" is, where you can holster it. (No ammo at the safe table.)
    At first don't try to keep up with the top shooters. Just concentrate on safe gun handling and making the hits. Speed will come later.

On any given weekend you'll find matches going on all over the state. Most are posted here in the format "<style> at <club> <date>" so once you recognize the club names you'll know when there's one near you. Since you're in Muncie you're close to Atlanta (ACC) and Fort Wayne.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I'll second what others have said. Many ranges have a Friday night steel type of thing, or "someothernight" steel. It is the gateway drug for USPSA or steel challenge. It is what open bowling night is to "serious" league bowling.
    Don't buy much in the way of gear until you've gone to a couple events.
    Also, If you are wanting to expand your shooting experience palate... for alternative event types check out Revere's Riders. The events somewhat/kinda similar to action shooting would be: -access to the militiary rifle and pistol pop up range, they have a biathlon (yes, run and shoot) and other things on occasion in addition to instructional courses.

longbeard

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    United States
    Friday night steel at Marion County Fish and Game is an excellent place to start. Starting in May it will be the 2nd and 4th Fridays of the month. It's a short match. You shoot steel plates from a stand still. Basically a simplified and quicker steel challenge. Perfect for new shooters.

DM me for info or show up and ask for Longbeard.
    We can guide you thru the match.

Woohoo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2019
    Muncie
    Friday night steel at Marion County Fish and Game is an excellent place to start. Starting in May it will be the 2nd and 4th Fridays of the month. It's a short match. You shoot steel plates from a stand still. Basically a simplified and quicker steel challenge. Perfect for new shooters.

DM me for info or show up and ask for Longbeard.
    We can guide you thru the match.

Thank you! I may take you up on that offer once I decide to pull the trigger....pun intended.

jshaver

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2011
    Fishers, IN
    Atlanta Conservation Club has a Steel Challenge match this Saturday. New shooters are always welcome. There’s a division for just about anything you’ve got.

Top Bottom