• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cjcycles

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2018
    Ft Wayne
    Does anyone know if the match is going to be held next Saturday? I’ve been looking forward to coming back out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cjcycles

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2018
    Ft Wayne
    I’ve setup a new rimfire rifle and pistol for this year. It’s been hard waiting for steel challenge to start back. I wish there were more matches close to Fort Wayne.

5e51218d44a167b7a3340447bc3798d6.jpg

MuncieFud

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2018
    Muncie
    How many magazines do you need for steel challenge? I have a friend who I'm trying to get into competing. He's running 13 round magazines. What's the round count for the match?

romack991

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    Most people with 15+ rd mags have 3. Most with 8 to 10rd mags have 5. At each stage, you shoot 5 strings of 5 targets. So if he is pretty accurate, 13rds would last two strings, and three mags would be good so you don't have to have someone refill your mags while shooting. But it's not hard to have someone refill mags for a match or two so I wouldn't let that stop him.

cjcycles

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2018
    Ft Wayne
    How many magazines do you need for steel challenge? I have a friend who I'm trying to get into competing. He's running 13 round magazines. What's the round count for the match?

25 hits per stage, 5 stages. 125 hits required. I like to have 250 rounds with me when I shoot centerfire. I like to have 5 10rd mags ready to go when I walk up to the line. It just makes it easier.

I have helped my friend with his Glock 19 and just load his mags while he is shooting a string. He had 3 mags and we made it work, but it was a bit of a pain.

I don’t mind helping a new shooter load mags if we are on the same squad. The main thing is just staying ahead enough not to slow down the squad.

cjcycles

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2018
    Ft Wayne
    Most people with 15+ rd mags have 3. Most with 8 to 10rd mags have 5. At each stage, you shoot 5 strings of 5 targets. So if he is pretty accurate, 13rds would last two strings, and three mags would be good so you don't have to have someone refill your mags while shooting. But it's not hard to have someone refill mags for a match or two so I wouldn't let that stop him.

I didn’t see you had answered when I posted. Thanks

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    Good info. My 15yr old son and I will be joining in for the 1st time Saturday. We would have been at April's match, but I just had back surgery a couple days before that and was still stuck in bed.

I shot some USPSA last year for the 1st time, but my Sunday's are no longer available. It looks like for a Saturday event near the Fort Wayne area, this is the go to.

My son is looking forward to competing with my cheapo Ruger 22/45. Our goal is to be safe, have fun, and not get DQ'd.

cjcycles

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2018
    Ft Wayne
    Good info. My 15yr old son and I will be joining in for the 1st time Saturday. We would have been at April's match, but I just had back surgery a couple days before that and was still stuck in bed.

I shot some USPSA last year for the 1st time, but my Sunday's are no longer available. It looks like for a Saturday event near the Fort Wayne area, this is the go to.

My son is looking forward to competing with my cheapo Ruger 22/45. Our goal is to be safe, have fun, and not get DQ'd.

Glad you found some of the discussion useful. Steel Challenge is an easier learning curve for a new shooter in my opinion.

I’ve shot Ruger 22’s for years. They are great guns.

It sounds like y’all have the right attitude about your first SC Match. Look forward to seeing you there.

Nepherael

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 22, 2019
    Mentone
    Barring any unforeseen circumstances I plan to come to this. I'm hoping this might be a good thread to ask a few questions about it.

I wasn't able to find the match listed on the steel challenge website but I'm assuming it's at the Warsaw rifle and pistol club. I went to their website and got the basics down for how they run it. However, I did notice there was mention of "2 gun limit (2 divisions)" or something along those lines.

I do have 2 guns I could shoot that day and I'm always interested in having more opportunities to hone my skills but can someone enlighten me on what the divisions actually are? Maybe there's a webpage on the steel challenge site relating to this but I wasn't quite sure exactly what I was looking for .

Also, looks like I have 3 mags per pistol. 2 - 8 round and 1 - 10 round for my 45 and 3 - 17 round for my 9 mm. Should I try and get my hands on some more mags?

Also, do I have to have a holster or can I stage everything on a table? I only have a holster for my 9mm and it came with it and to be quite honest I hate it

cjcycles

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2018
    Ft Wayne
    Barring any unforeseen circumstances I plan to come to this. I'm hoping this might be a good thread to ask a few questions about it.

I wasn't able to find the match listed on the steel challenge website but I'm assuming it's at the Warsaw rifle and pistol club. I went to their website and got the basics down for how they run it. However, I did notice there was mention of "2 gun limit (2 divisions)" or something along those lines.

I do have 2 guns I could shoot that day and I'm always interested in having more opportunities to hone my skills but can someone enlighten me on what the divisions actually are? Maybe there's a webpage on the steel challenge site relating to this but I wasn't quite sure exactly what I was looking for .

Also, looks like I have 3 mags per pistol. 2 - 8 round and 1 - 10 round for my 45 and 3 - 17 round for my 9 mm. Should I try and get my hands on some more mags?

Also, do I have to have a holster or can I stage everything on a table? I only have a holster for my 9mm and it came with it and to be quite honest I hate it

Example of two guns to shoot in the match:
    Rimfire pistol& rimfire rifle
    Centerfire pistol and pistol caliber carbine
    Rimfire rifle and pistol caliber carbine
    Centerfire pistol and rimfire pistol

You need to be able to walk up to the line and shoot the two guns back to back. Centerfire pistols have to be drawn from a holster. It is not feasible to shoot two different types Holstered guns. This would require you to have to go switch between holsters. This would slow down the squad and wouldn't be good etiquette if it was even allowed. You need to be reloading magazines, painting targets, scoring, etc during this time.

I would keep it simple for your first match and focus more on safety and learning what to do. Think about a second gun after you have a good understanding of how to shoot a match.

Yes, you should bring more mags if you can. The 3- 17rd could work if you don't miss much. The 45's not going to work well with only 3 mags and you will need a holster.

The Glock 34 can shoot in production division as long as your holster meets the requirements. What kind of holster do you have for the glock? I would be concerned about safety first. A simple fobus paddle holster will work and are somewhat easy to find. I would recommend staying away from black hawk with the retention latch. Bladetech or comptac are two really good holsters.

The 1911 could shoot in single stack division. You could shoot either pistol in limited or open.

Last edited:

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    I wanted to thank everyone for welcoming my son and me. We both had lots of fun today.

My son keeps going on and on about how much fun he had and he is already making all sorts of plans about what he wants to do in June.

I think it only took one match to get him addicted....oh boy. I have a feeling my pocketbook will pay for it....just in ammo. Let alone anything else.

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    I wanted to thank everyone for welcoming my son and me. We both had lots of fun today.

My son keeps going on and on about how much fun he had and he is already making all sorts of plans about what he wants to do in June.

I think it only took one match to get him addicted....oh boy. I have a feeling my pocketbook will pay for it....just in ammo. Let alone anything else.

Your son did a fine job. He seemed to have a lot to talk about with Nepherael (his 1st match also): shooting and video games. That is one of the other nice parts of shooting; the camaraderie. Looks like they both had fun their first match, which is the point in the first place. It also give you and your son a hobby to share and spend time enjoying together. It doesn't get better than that. I hope you both enjoy that time together. Hope to see you two at the next match.

Top Bottom