• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Beans&Bullets

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 18, 2010
    Terre Haute, IN
    Riley Conservation Club will be having an open to the public, Steel Challenge Practice Session. This will be at the Riley Conservation Club on Gross Road on Sunday, May 5th in Bays 2 & 3.

Observe our "COLD RANGE" safety rules, no loaded guns when you arrive.

Set up will be at 9:30 Am and hope to go hot at 10 AM. Cost will be $10 per Adult, $5 per junior. You may shoot as many guns as you want for this price. We will be setting up 2 official Steel Challenge stages an allowing practice on them. A sign up sheet will be on each stage and we will allow shooters to register, shoot 1 of their guns for 5 strings, just like in a match, then the next shooter may do the same. After you have shot, you may sign up to shoot that stage again or you may sign up to shoot the other stage. Timers and paint will be available for use. There will be no mandatory scoring. This is a practice session, no scores will be reported anywhere. You may write your scores down, make side bets with a friend, just generally have a good time.

I think I will be setting up Pendulum and Accelerator.

We Will Be Enforcing all Safety rules. Guns may only be handled in the shooters box or at the designated safe areas. We want to have fun, but first we MUST be safe.

Ever wonder if you could effectively shoot your revolver in a Steel Challenge match, bring it with you and give it a try. How about your Single Stack 1911, try it as well.

If you think you might attend, please post on here so I have an idea of the number of shooters to expect.

As of this posting, the weather looks promising, come out and have a good time.

Novice and experienced shooters are all welcome. Maybe some of you good shooters can give me some tips and help me become a better Steel Shooter.

If I have failed to answer your question, please leave me a message here, I will try to answer them later tonight when I get home. This will be after 8pm.

I expect this session to last to 3 or 4 o'clock. As it's not a match, come shoot the stages 4 or 5 times and leave as you want. It's PRACTICE!!!!!

Exact change is appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott Whittenburg :ar15:

Matthews

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2019
    Dyer
    Im interested in attending but have zero experience with any of the shooting sport divisions. What would you recommend in terms of equipment to bring?

Beans&Bullets

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 18, 2010
    Terre Haute, IN
    Im interested in attending but have zero experience with any of the shooting sport divisions. What would you recommend in terms of equipment to bring?

Bring any guns you are interested in shooting, eye and ear protection, and maybe 150 to 200 rounds of ammo for each gun. You can visit Steel Challenge Shooting Association Home Page - US Practical Shooting Assocation website to see the divisions that can be shot. There are 13 divisions. PCC and Rimfire Divisions start from the low ready position. The other divisions require a draw from the holster. If you are uncomfortable drawing, I would suggest bringing a PCC, or rimfire weapons. It's also important to have as many magazines as possible, really need 5, but for this practice session, you can get by with 3 or 4 magazines per gun as we are practicing and it's ok if you only run 3 or 4 strings. Should be a low stress or no stress environment for those who are curious to get a little exposure to the game.

In case you don't check the Steel Challenge website, the most common calibers shot are .22 LR, 9mm, .40 S&W, .45 Auto. No High Power Rifles are allowed. Only rifles chambered for Pistol Calibers and .22LR.

Last edited:

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    This is such a great idea. I committed to a different discipline match, but as an occasional steel challenge shooter (or a total newbie), this is a perfect chance to learn the game or practice a stage and hone skills. $10 for all day to practice on stages is a bargain. Wish I could attend.

Matthews

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2019
    Dyer
    Just wanted to give everyone who attended this and the club itself a shoutout. With this being my first experience in shooting sports, the guys and gals of the Riley Conservation Club knocked it out of the park. Had a blast breaking into Steel challenge, lot of good laughs, and everyone was more than friendly enough to lend equipment to get a feel for what I can expect in this sport. All together, a great environment for both a novice like myself and higher skill levels present to hone our abilities. Definitely recommend anyone on the forum check them out.

Beans&Bullets

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 18, 2010
    Terre Haute, IN
    Thanks to everyone that came out and shot the practice session with us today. It was fun to meet and shoot with you. I really believe that everyone that shot today would do fine shooting a Match after what I saw today. Just remember, to keep the muzzles downrange and don't get in a hurry if you have a gun malfunction. Be SAFE and Have Fun. We will try to have another one of these sometime soon.

Scott

Top Bottom