• ...and so much more!
  • SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I've never been successful getting my kids into
    the shooting world. They never disliked it but if dad's into it then it must not be that cool. I have no argument against that logic so I have to use a different approach.

I think I see my opening. My son (junior in hs next year) seems reasonably excited about the prospect of going to Friday night steel with me. Logistically it would work, the problem is that my favorite fns tool, my ar/red dot/ and 22 conversion, is no longer reliable or setup for it.

Before I buy an AR9mm or trick out my stock 10/22 I think it would be prudent to make sure his interest isn't a flash in the pan.

The big ask: would anyone be willing to squad together and let him shoot their gateway drug, er, I mean, firearm for fns? If there is any chance I can get himhooked I'd love to justify getting him a "carnival game" firearm.
    Rifle ish, red dot, pcc in 9mm, any variation of 22lr in a rifle...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Doc.....stop by and get the GSG that he and his sister were so nuts over when I met them. Yours to use if you wish especially if it gets the kids excited. I just put another red dot on it and I will get it bore laser accurate for you. I also filled it up with the accuracy upgrades.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    The one time I loaned a gun to a person I didn't know at a match it had a lighter trigger than stock and the guy let a round loose over the berm. After that incident I decided that as a general rule it might not be a good idea to loan any gun that is not 100% stock and I have observed that maybe the worst time to get comfortable with a gun is during a match, too much all at once.

For what it is worth. I'm a big fan of getting used to a different gun under a 0 pressure situation.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Fall Creek Valley Action Steel might be a good intro. It's very laid back & only ~$5 for members, ~$10 for non-members. It's pistol only. The gates are unlocked so you do not need to attend with a member, just show up and follow the safety rules. Start from low ready or holster. You would run one on one on a mirrored course of steel targets & normally end at the dualing tree.

They are running Action Steel this Friday.
    Calendar ? Fall Creek Valley Conservation Club

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The one time I loaned a gun to a person I didn't know at a match it had a lighter trigger than stock and the guy let a round loose over the berm. After that incident I decided that as a general rule it might not be a good idea to loan any gun that is not 100% stock and I have observed that maybe the worst time to get comfortable with a gun is during a match, too much all at once.

For what it is worth. I'm a big fan of getting used to a different gun under a 0 pressure situation.
    Both those kids shot the first pistol in that gun.
    I left the trigger stock but did the accurizing kit.
    I am sure his sun is capable.

But I do see your point

sdtech58

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 25, 2014
    Z'ville
    One thing that I've found with new shooters is that they like to know they are hitting something (i.e. reactive targets). Steel is good, but my kids love popping balloons with the .22 and (if you don't mind cleaning up a mess) drilling shaving cream cans with the AR. Could even let him touch off some tannerite. If something blowing up when he shoots it doesn't get him hooked, not sure what will...

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    Since you already have a 10/22, that would be a good place to start shooting steel.

MY RF steel rifle is all stock with the exception of the dot.

RF pistol is all stock internals, added a dot TK game changer comp, cornerstone and a pair of modified houge palm swell grips.

:cheers:

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Great info. guys. I think I will get some additional magazines for my stock 10/22 and put a red dot on it for a starter kit. That way I can get him to the range and get more familiar with it before going to anything that looks like a structured event.
    The idea of starting at FNS (vs some of the other offerngs) was just simple logistics. He technically lives with his mom, it's just down the road, but not always here, 2 other siblings with school functions... All things considered FNS simply seems to work out to be a time that is usually available and doesn't require significant schedule stress. It is an easier sell also because it doesn't require him to get up early to do something he isn't quite sold on yet anyway.

2-Alpha

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2018
    Indianapolis area
    FNS is still a great place to start for his first competition, but I'd spend some plinking time at the range first so he's comfortable running the gun and confident that he can hit the targets.

If your range allows it, empty aluminum cans refilled with water make a great (and basically free) reactive target. A .22LR HP will blow them up quite nicely, and they're small enough to provide a bit of a challenge to hit. Take a bag of cans and a couple gallon milk jugs of water to fill them from. A gallon of water is good for filling about 10 cans.

igotdiesel2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Southport area of In
    My son is 10 and I got him HOOKED and I mean HOOKED on shooting by taking him to every IDPA shoot I shot since he was 5. He learned to paste, help setup and tear down. He runs the timer for me when I do drills and I do the same for him. He has shot FNS once with me and his Paps (aka my Dad).

I agree with others. The Boy loves shooting steel targets with is 22/45 tactical. Something else he likes to do is shoot fun targets that I have downloaded from the web. Zombies, dynamite sticks, candle sticks, etc.

On the other side, if they aren't interested don't force them. I took my daughter who is now 14 shooting a few times and she just wasn't into it. It made me sad, but I don't want to force something on her that she just doesn't enjoy. -Jason

Top Bottom