Training resources for progressing your skillset?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nepherael

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 22, 2019
    Mentone
    I've shot a few matches recently. I am very much enjoying the shooting sports and look forward to shooting more.

However, I've done a lot of online hunting for training resources and, while there is a lot of stuff out there, I'm finding most of it really boils down to basics like "here's where your finger goes on the trigger".

I'm at a point now where I know the basics but need to get much better at them. I also don't want to keep any bad habits I might have.

Are there any training resources that really get into the particulars and breakdown very specific things about trigger control, movement, recoil management, mindset during a stage?

What training resources do you use, if any?

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    If you're looking to build a good foundation you can't do much better than Revere's Riders.

It seems like entry level stuff but they offer both Basic Rifle and Basic Pistol classes that cover the fundamentals like:

- Stance and shooting positions
    - Sight picture
    - Natural point of aim
    - Breathing
    - Trigger control
    - Adjusting sights or using holdovers for targets at known distances (only introduced in basic classes but explored more in higher level carbine, field rifle, or known distance classes)

https://www.reveresriders.org/

For pistol and self defense type shooting I have had good experiences with Bright Firearms Training ("Coach" here on INGO).

Those classes focus more on things like drawing from a holster, using vision to access and engage multiple targets, shooting on the move, etc.

Nepherael

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 22, 2019
    Mentone
    Thanks for the info. It might be that to get further into the sport will require more of a monetary investment. Books and training courses etc.

I've been hunting around for podcasts as well and I found a couple that I've done some listening to. They're not very technical but I do get some good nuggets of info at points along the way.

gottabeoutdoors

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2017
    Frankfort
    As far as podcasts go, there are some great ones. One I highly recommend is Steve Anderson's "That Shooting Show". His is strictly his own ideas and approaches. Another is Arik Levy's "Firearms Nation Podcast", where he has lots of the top competition shooters (big names) on in an interview style.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Are there any training resources that really get into the particulars and breakdown very specific things about trigger control, movement, recoil management, mindset during a stage?

You should watch all the Robert Vogel videos on YouTube then find and take his class. He covers everything you mentioned above. He also tells you how to attack a stage before you even shoot it.
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXD0MMY5x2zFYUKoiYN56Og/videos[/video]

Nepherael

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 22, 2019
    Mentone
    As far as podcasts go, there are some great ones. One I highly recommend is Steve Anderson's "That Shooting Show". His is strictly his own ideas and approaches. Another is Arik Levy's "Firearms Nation Podcast", where he has lots of the top competition shooters (big names) on in an interview style.

I'll check that first one out. I have discovered FNP and have listened to some episodes already. I've gleaned a bit of info from that. I know the technical side of the sport isn't always a solid views getter so I just listen and enjoy and pounce on any bit of useful training info that pops out.

Nepherael

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 22, 2019
    Mentone
    You should watch all the Robert Vogel videos on YouTube then find and take his class. He covers everything you mentioned above. He also tells you how to attack a stage before you even shoot it.
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXD0MMY5x2zFYUKoiYN56Og/videos[/video]

Appreciate it! I'll scope this out

Good on paper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 18, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Shoot Fast Podcast has a good library and they’re pretty easy to listen to
    Steve Anderson has some good theories if you can take the Van Halen. His dry fire books have their merit
    Locally Max Bedwell runs a good class that’s USPSA oriented and was a big help to me. You can find him on INGO

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I've shot a few matches recently. I am very much enjoying the shooting sports and look forward to shooting more.

However, I've done a lot of online hunting for training resources and, while there is a lot of stuff out there, I'm finding most of it really boils down to basics like "here's where your finger goes on the trigger".

I'm at a point now where I know the basics but need to get much better at them. I also don't want to keep any bad habits I might have.

What training resources do you use, if any?

Recoil management means have a proper grip.
    Trigger control means press it straight back without disrupting the sights. Does not matter if you slap or catch the link.

Mindset on the stage? What do you mean?

Movement is about eliminating positions and engaging targets while entering and. Exiting stages.

Nepherael

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 22, 2019
    Mentone
    Recoil management means have a proper grip.
    Trigger control means press it straight back without disrupting the sights. Does not matter if you slap or catch the link.

Mindset on the stage? What do you mean?

Movement is about eliminating positions and engaging targets while entering and. Exiting stages.

Yes to all of these things. I understand the definitions and even the general basics of each such as proper grip and pressing the trigger correctly. However, I'm looking for resources that discuss these things in more depth. I know what my movement during a stage is supposed to accomplish but the technical aspects of reloading on the move, shooting on the move, when to stop, what is more efficient, etc. On top of all of this, some training drills to run to get better at these things would be cool as well.

Resources like that would be awesome. I've found some training related websites but haven't had the opportunity to dig into them yet and see if the material has substance.

Stage mindset - I just mean best way to approach a stage, things to look for when planning my run during a walkthrough, etc.

Nepherael

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 22, 2019
    Mentone

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Stage break down on a video or podcast is going to be tough. Stages are different and there are always exceptions on how to break it down sort of like grammar rules. Many times a stage can be correctly shot. Several ways.

Arrive at a positionvready to shoot then do it.

There is no paint by numbers steps to follow on stage planning. Stage planning can vary depending upon shooters ability level and by division..

I hate Ben Stoeger but he can shoot. I would place a lot more faith in shooting advice. From him than Steve Anderson.

From what I have heard second hand Steve Anderson is not a good human,being. His match performance is no where close to Ben. No where

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Saul Kitsch has some DVDs out. Techniques of the grand masters. He has some dvdsof uspda nstionals that has some good info.

All of these are older. But applicable

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    One of the best things you can do is to squad with shooters who are placing above you. Watch them, ask questions, many will offer advice. Set goals, dont over think this sport. Get good, then get better. Many of the tricks will be learned from shooting matches, not podcasts. Dry practice is good.

Shoot as many matches as possible. Learn from your mistakes, and others mistakes. Be aggressive when shooting. Move fast.

And.....dont give up pistol and shoot pcc to chase hoa.

Nepherael

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 22, 2019
    Mentone
    One of the best things you can do is to squad with shooters who are placing above you. Watch them, ask questions, many will offer advice. Set goals, dont over think this sport. Get good, then get better. Many of the tricks will be learned from shooting matches, not podcasts. Dry practice is good.

Shoot as many matches as possible. Learn from your mistakes, and others mistakes. Be aggressive when shooting. Move fast.

And.....dont give up pistol and shoot pcc to chase hoa.

Yeah the shooters at the matches I've been to have been great so far. I'm trying very hard to start planning travel to more matches to. It's been difficult because it seems like there's no centralized place that informs people of when and where matches are. Even on practiscore and USPSA's website it doesn't give everything and not every place that holds matches has a website that gives dates and times. It's been rough. Matter of fact, I'm planning to make a topic in this forum soon to centralize information on which weekends, times, locations, etc each place in northern Indiana has their matches. I can find listings for the clubs themselves but can never find when, where, or whether the match is happening at all.

Lol I considered messing around with PCC but I've got an AR and a long distance range to satisfy any itch like that. I thought I loved AR's and long distance bullseyes. I still do but I'm finding I love pistol shooting and the opportunities at competitive shooting that come along with it

I'm dreaming about a CZ Shadow. I've got my 1911 listed on the classifieds here right now seeing if I can work out a trade. I'm half tempted to start digging through more stuff to trade to see if I can tip the scales and get anyone to bite. Too broke to buy one :spend: but I know the DA will allow me to train better in dry fire (i.e. not racking the slide for each hammer drop so I can ingrain multiple trigger presses in my mind and try to stop any pauses) not to mention it's an epic competition weapon.

Stage break down on a video or podcast is going to be tough. Stages are different and there are always exceptions on how to break it down sort of like grammar rules. Many times a stage can be correctly shot. Several ways.

There is no paint by numbers steps to follow on stage planning. Stage planning can vary depending upon shooters ability level and by division..

I hate Ben Stoeger but he can shoot. I would place a lot more faith in shooting advice. From him than Steve Anderson.

From what I have heard second hand Steve Anderson is not a good human,being. His match performance is no where close to Ben. No where

Yeah every stage is definitely unique. In terms of stage approach I'm talking just general advice. Like, is it smart to focus on certain targets, general things to watch for, etc.

One thing about me and why I'm looking for specific teaching resources is that I tend to overlook certain things and not think about them altogether if someone doesn't point it out directly. Even stuff that seems like a no-brainer :facepalm: facepalm situation might not register until said out loud

As an example, someone going over speed reloads and they give a specific tip along the lines of "now make sure you index on your mag low enough when unholstering that your finger can touch the tip of the top most round in the mag. You will have more control over it and a smoother reload"

That's just what comes to mind because I watched a video this morning. So, using that example, when practicing my own reloads up to this point I've grabbed pretty close to the bottom of the mag, causing a lot of sloppy and badly aimed mag inserts. I think, as of this week, I was starting to realize that I wanted to grip the mag a bit higher but if I had seen that video or been told that by someone weeks ago I would be further along in being better at speed reloads.

I hope that makes sense. When I'm told something, even a small tip, it makes stuff click into place for me much faster. I can connect all the dots fast if I get a couple to start with :bash: I'm sure most of it will come with a lot of repetition but who knows how many "bad habbits" I have or inefficient processes that could be fixed by accessing good teaching tools.

I'll definitely do some hunting for some good reading material. I think I'll keep an eye out for some advanced or semi-advanced classes and coaching opportunities as well. :rockwoot:

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    Stages are different and there are always exceptions on how to break it down sort of like grammar rules. Many times a stage can be correctly shot. Several ways.

ive been a C class shooter for 25 years, I know MY limitations, and the limitations of my gear ( I shoot a single stack 45 in open). I watch higher classed shooters during a walkthrough, see what hey plan to do, what works for them usually doesn't work for me.
    ive heard others mention "I hadn't thought about doing that way" after I finished a stage..

every shooter is different, and solves the problem in different ways.
    my goals are simple,
    no misses,
    no noshoots,
    no procedurals,
    no failure to engage,
    make it through the match without any gun problems.

:cheers:[SUB][SUP]
    [/SUP][/SUB]

Fuzz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    LaFONTAINE
    Just want to throw this out there. I am no pro for sure. Just made B class. But being fairly recent to start this I have found this what I struggled with. Maybe you are too.

1, Read and understand the RULE BOOK. This will also help with stage planning. Knowing what you can and cannot do is important.

2, This takes time so don't get discouraged. As everything in life you will get out of it what you put into it.

3, Dry fire (Honest Dry Fire) will help more than anything when it comes to gun handling, mag changes, and movement. Make it daily routine for 30 minutes a day at least. Do this for a month and you will notice a huge difference.

4, Trigger time, this is also a must but will be limited by your ability to afford the ammo. Do the best you can. Family first.

5, Some great advice above and it's all spot on. Just remember have fun.

Nepherael

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 22, 2019
    Mentone
    Just want to throw this out there. I am no pro for sure. Just made B class. But being fairly recent to start this I have found this what I struggled with. Maybe you are too.

1, Read and understand the RULE BOOK. This will also help with stage planning. Knowing what you can and cannot do is important.

2, This takes time so don't get discouraged. As everything in life you will get out of it what you put into it.

3, Dry fire (Honest Dry Fire) will help more than anything when it comes to gun handling, mag changes, and movement. Make it daily routine for 30 minutes a day at least. Do this for a month and you will notice a huge difference.

4, Trigger time, this is also a must but will be limited by your ability to afford the ammo. Do the best you can. Family first.

5, Some great advice above and it's all spot on. Just remember have fun.

This is all good stuff.

I'd like to add that I did invest in some dry fire training devices and they have been INVALUABLE to me.

I bought a G-Sight laser that activates when striker hits it and I bought a MantisX as a combination shot timer/training device.

They are both amazing. I have been able to refine my trigger control in dry fire very noticeably. I haven't used the Mantis in live fire yet but it has built in excercises for dry fire that give me a true direction to go for training. My grip is better, my trigger pull is better. It's been amazing. I can't wait to compete in Warsaw this month.

The ONLY issue I've had so far is that my holster can't hold my gun with a Mantis on the rail so I can't practice draws but once I get some more money I'll square that up.

The G-Sight is SO important for trigger control. Seeing that laser light up when I pull the trigger gives me actionable feedback about whether or not I pulled the trigger straight back or moved the muzzle etc. Without that dot popping up I feel like I'm just pulling the trigger. I can't tell if I'm doing anything wrong or need to work on anything

I can't wait to get a SA/DA pistol (like a CZ Shadow) for dry fire. I'll be able to practice rapid fire without having to rack the slide each trigger pull.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom