• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MuncieFud

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2018
    Muncie
    So I've decided to make the plunge and get rid of the fobus holster and double magazine pouch. I currently shoot an M&P but hope to change guns next season, so I need something that can accept a wide variety of magazines or cheap enough that I won't have to spend another hundo on a new set. I really like the simplicity of the CR speed but at $30 + a peice I'm struggling to justify it. Does anyone have any recommendations at other models I should be looking at?

Is their much of an aftermarket for mag pouches? I looked around but didn't see any up for sale on here and not much luck on ebay.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I'm not sure how universal they are but I have used mag holders from Kytex Shooting Gear. $18.95. Very simple design. I would be somewhat surprised if one model doesn't cover a bunch of double stack 9 mm mags.

gottabeoutdoors

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2017
    Frankfort
    I was thinking of asking the same thing tonight! And I just *have* to make things harder on myself by being a lefty. Seems like so many decent holsters don't have a left hand version. :-/

Fuzz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    LaFONTAINE
    Hey Muncie
    I have a set of these off ebay for $8ish and they work good but are a pain to install. The trick is to Blue loctite the nuts in place before assembly.

They are not quality of other top brands but they work and will get you going until you can save up for good stuff.

Go to ebay and type in " Competition Mag Pouches" You will get a million options and most are these. Different colors and all.

PAY ATTENTION TO WHERE IT COMES FROM. If it comes from China instead of a US distributor it will take weeks. US will be a couple of days.

They are all from China but where they ship from is the diff.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/IPSC-USPSA-IDPA-Competition-Multi-Angle-Speed-Pistol-Magazine-Pouch-Mag-Case/163389291701?hash=item260ac2bcb5:g:tbcAAOSwn01b9jkk:sc:USPSFirstClass!46992!US!-1

Last edited:

Diesel24v

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 27, 2012
    Central
    When it comes to this stuff I learned quickly that you’re better off to “buy once and cry once”. I bought a cheap belt and cheap mag pouches and have upgraded everything already. I started out with a scorpion belt and $10 mag pouches from eBay. I couldn’t keep the $10 mag pouches tight and it was a distraction. I now run a double alpha belt and the racer mag pouches. I tried ghost pouches and still use one for my make ready mag. I really prefer the retention of my DAA racer pouches over the ghost but that’s all personal preference. The DAA pouches come with different inserts to accommodate man different mags. Anything from the big names will be more than sufficient when it comes to most gear. Look up aandabooks on eBay, he sells the dropped and offset aluminum brackets for less than $30 to attach your holster to and they are worth it. Very similar to the BOSS bracket. I try to buy as much of the stuff local as possible, but if that’s not and option then benstoegerproshop.com has always treated me well and he ships super quick. I can usually order on Sunday or Monday and have it Wednesday or Thursday.

bullitstang1313

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Columbus
    I went with Safariland 771 mag pouches. I tried a DAA, but never could get it to fit my mags the way I like even with all the different inserts. I was running a Beretta M9a3 and the mags are thinner than glock. That is something to watch out for if you are planning on changing guns. With the Safariland pouches, there are different sizes for different magazines. So if you switch guns just realize they might not fit whatever you switch to.

Diesel24v

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 27, 2012
    Central
    Does anyone have any experience with the CR Speed?
    I do not personally but I can say that I see alot of people using them. They look like a good pouch from what I have seen. Really anything from CR speed, Ghost, Double Alpha, Guga Ribas will all be fine it is moslty personal preference from there. There are other companies but those are the big ones off the top of my head. If you plan to switch divisions and want to move gear around, then the Safariland ELS setup may be better.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana

Have some, they work. To make them fit mags just right I've had to fiddle with making spacers which might not be necessary for you. Don't release as clean as DAA or Ghost but they are less prone to breakage (Ghost) or loosening (DAA). Think I have a habit of sort of slamming my hand into the first mag and they seem the best for putting up with that.

gottabeoutdoors

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2017
    Frankfort

Diesel24v

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 27, 2012
    Central
    Something I would recommend for anyone looking into gear is to listen to the Make Ready Podcast episode about gear. They were spot on with the advice they give.

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    ive been using safariland kydex mag pouches and a safariland basketweave inner/outer belt for 25 years.

ive seen safariland mag pouches on sale at midway.

I bought my open holster and belt used when someone else had to have the latest and greatest.

:cheers:

longbeard

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    United States
    While a decent pouch, they are real PITA because have different inserts for different types of magazines. The Ghost pouches are really the best IMO. They are relatively inexpensive, and since there are no inserts you can use them for about any double stack gun.

If you pay $25, you can get two pouches. One to run bullets nose out, and one standard pouch. For $20 you can get a single pouch. https://benstoegerproshop.com/ghost-hybrid-magazine-mag-pouch/

justacog

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2018
    Brownstown
    I'm still just using the Blackhawk generic double stack belt clip pouches:
    https://www.amazon.com/BLACKHAWK-410500-C-Single-Mag-Pouch/dp/B004T883N0

Maybe one day I'll switch to a dedicated competition belt and if I did it would probably be Safariland, but for now I wanted to run something more like what I might everyday carry. I would prefer staying with belt clip rather than a mag pouch that requires a hex/torx tool to remove from the belt.
    The Blackhawk works well for Glock mags, but my M&P mags are too loose on mine. The pouch just uses an arc piece of plastic that flexes for retention and that piece is not adjustable. I've thought about maybe wrapping the plastic arc in duct tape or rubber bands. I did try out a new one off the shelf at a gun store and the retention seemed to be much better so maybe they improved it, mine have worn out, or I accidentally got some Chinese knock off originally.

I haven't yet been able to find a belt clip mag pouch that is adjustable for multiple mags and can still fit five pouches next to each other without going too far around my back.

MuncieFud

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2018
    Muncie
    I had already listened to that show but I went back through and listened again. I think my problem is I don't know what I like. I don't think I need a ton of adjustment but I've never had a chance to try the adjustment either. I would like to just buy once cry once. I'm willing to spend the money to get quality gear but I don't want to have to buy five sets of pouches to find the ones I like.

Top Bottom