• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • E7Wrangler

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2016
    Central
    I am starting the lobbying effort for someone to put on a "tactical" .22 shoot :rockwoot: Defensive 2 Gun or 3 gun style with .22 rifle and pistol. I suggest this for two reasons:

A. It would be FUN and CHEAP (two wonderful words that don't often go together).

B. It would be easier to get kids and new shooters involved in the shooting sports with the lower cost of guns and ammo, lighter and easier to shoot firearms and less intimidating noise and recoil. (Once hooked we can always move them up to the "hard" guns :):)

We need more kids shooting!! We need more people enjoying firearms and getting some good experience! Anything we can do to lower the barriers is worth a little time investment by us all.

Yes, I know it is tacky to suggest an idea and want someone else to actually do it. Honestly I don't have the membership at a range or expertise to do it myself but I am willing to help! I will put my time where my mouth is if I can get any co-conspirators with some resources in the central Indiana area (ACC, WVRPC, Marion County Fish & Game, others in the area).

Do it for the children :rolleyes: (the actual children and us 30-70 year old children too).

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Riley Conservation Club already does this. Called Rimfire madness.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Well I guess it depends on how one defines "tactical". Wildcat holds a monthly NLR22 match. I would think Steel Challenge would fit the bill for getting kids into the sport.

Last edited:

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    I am starting the lobbying effort for someone to put on a "tactical" .22 shoot :rockwoot: Defensive 2 Gun or 3 gun style with .22 rifle and pistol. I suggest this for two reasons:

A. It would be FUN and CHEAP (two wonderful words that don't often go together).

B. It would be easier to get kids and new shooters involved in the shooting sports with the lower cost of guns and ammo, lighter and easier to shoot firearms and less intimidating noise and recoil. (Once hooked we can always move them up to the "hard" guns :):)

We need more kids shooting!! We need more people enjoying firearms and getting some good experience! Anything we can do to lower the barriers is worth a little time investment by us all.

Yes, I know it is tacky to suggest an idea and want someone else to actually do it. Honestly I don't have the membership at a range or expertise to do it myself but I am willing to help! I will put my time where my mouth is if I can get any co-conspirators with some resources in the central Indiana area (ACC, WVRPC, Marion County Fish & Game, others in the area).

Do it for the children :rolleyes: (the actual children and us 30-70 year old children too).

There is a lot in this post. What exactly is "tactical"? Is the purpose to teach defensive shooting to children? As a 4H leader, I can (and do) support Rimfire Madness & Steel Challenge, I can recommend it to parents because neither one uses humanoid targets. There is no debate, there are just round targets & rectangle targets. To the OP, I suggest attending available events and supporting what is already in place, then use that experience to advance a special event if you feel there is enough interest in it or if it is truly different from what is already available.

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    Wolff's Rowdy Rangers has something you might like, a rimfire action tactical match. They are a little way east, in Bristol. I never made it out to one of these matches, but always meant to. I know shooters that have and they really enjoy these shoots. Check out the attached guide and flyer, maybe it is something you are looking for. They shoot rifle and pistol.

Also, Michigan City rifle club holds Rimfire Challenge matches on the 2nd Saturday each month. This is similar to Steel Challenge, but requires a rimfire rifle and pistol. No drawing from a holster for this match. I attend these matches regularly with some buddies. They are lots of fun and would be great for new and younger shooters. Below is their web site.

https://michigancityrifleclub.com/

These may be kind of far for you, but you may want to check them out and help start up something similar at ranges near you.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    It's perhaps unfortunate, but I think many would be of the opinion, in response to your question, that Steel Challenge already fills this need. This is the "pat answer" I would expect. But after shooting the above match, I think there is room for improvement on the SC concept.

If you are in Central IN, I would recommend you come to Riley CC in Terre Haute on July 13 for the monthly "Rimfire Madness" event mentioned above, and see if there is anything in that format which aligns with what you have in mind. This is a fun, high round-count match where the stages are different every time, and in terms of what it feels like to shoot it, is like going somewhere with a lot of steel and just "shooting a bunch of shxxt," for lack of a more sophisticated description. There is no holstering or moving around, which makes it kid-friendly, but yet it's not like a typical Steel Challenge match where the stages are all canned & never change. It's tactical in the sense that the round count is quite high (thinking like, better take a brick of ammo for each gun you shoot), and so any non-capability in terms of reliability of your equipment will be exposed. It stresses having a gun that will run and run and run, which I think is a good tactical lesson for beginners to be learning when they step up to the line for the first time.

Like I said, check it out.
    Maybe there is room to get something started, at a club who is not already doing steel? But as others have suggested, I think a good first step is to support the match formats like Rimfire Madness that are already established. If we cannot get more than 10~12 people to attend a great, fun, high round-count match format which is already established and already has all the targets purchased, how can we begin to start something new? Just food for thought.

Top Bottom