DQ on my first stage! (What the sport is like for a new shooter)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MuncieFud

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2018
    Muncie
    My first USPSA match I managed to get DQ'ed before my first magazine change. I had spent so much time dry firing, reading, and cranking out ammo on my turret press that it was heartbreaking. I put way too much pressure on myself. I was so focused on not forgetting a target, where I was reloading, and where my positions were that I had IN MY STAGE PLAN the dredded running left reload. I nailed that reload but not before completely breaking the 180. As much as no one wants to get a DQ it did help me.

It destroyed the ego I had about my shooting, it really humbled me. I had people from multiple squads talk to me about their own DQ's. I got to spend a match as a spectator. I was able to talk and learn instead of worrying about a stage plan.

FOR THE NEW SHOOTER: you can be the best shooter amongst the people you shoot with but you're not going to win your first match, no one expects you to be the best, you could come in last but if you're safe it's a win. IF you DQ don't throw a hissy fit and run off the range. I sat in my car, beat myself up, then went back to the range and had a great time with great people. The next match I came back ready to shoot and shot what was a good match for my skill level. Don't just thrown in the towel because of one DQ or bad match.

The people I have meet through this sport are some of the nicest people i have ever met. Thank you to the people in this community who make this sport what it is.

Fuzz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    LaFONTAINE
    The above is all true and almost everyone has been there. Myself a few times as well.

Every story has 2 sides.

Today I was visiting a club match at a club I have never been to. I was not planning on ROing but the squad had 4-5 shooters with some experience and 7 with very little or none. The RO for the squad and myself were the only qualified RO's there so I get called up again but the RO did run 80% of the shooters with me just giving him a break. Our first stage and the first shooter I ran stepped to the line. He started with the 2 paper on the left and then moved right. running past the 3rd target he realizes it and swings back about 230 degrees. (yes this was poor stage design that he could even see the target from there but that is another issue entirely) I stopped this shooter and asked if he knew why I had stopped him. He said no. I told him and the look on the face of this 6'4" 300lb man was not good. He was pissed. I walked away and left him for the RO to deal with. Later after he calmed down I spoke to him and told him I was sorry but it was my job. He said no problem with an attitude and left for the day.

Understand NO RO wants to DQ anybody. We hate it too. But it is the game we play. It is not personal.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    My first USPSA match I managed to get DQ'ed before my first magazine change. I had spent so much time dry firing, reading, and cranking out ammo on my turret press that it was heartbreaking. I put way too much pressure on myself. I was so focused on not forgetting a target, where I was reloading, and where my positions were that I had IN MY STAGE PLAN the dredded running left reload. I nailed that reload but not before completely breaking the 180. As much as no one wants to get a DQ it did help me.

It destroyed the ego I had about my shooting, it really humbled me. I had people from multiple squads talk to me about their own DQ's. I got to spend a match as a spectator. I was able to talk and learn instead of worrying about a stage plan.

FOR THE NEW SHOOTER: you can be the best shooter amongst the people you shoot with but you're not going to win your first match, no one expects you to be the best, you could come in last but if you're safe it's a win. IF you DQ don't throw a hissy fit and run off the range. I sat in my car, beat myself up, then went back to the range and had a great time with great people. The next match I came back ready to shoot and shot what was a good match for my skill level. Don't just thrown in the towel because of one DQ or bad match.

The people I have meet through this sport are some of the nicest people i have ever met. Thank you to the people in this community who make this sport what it is.

Sounds like you handled it well and correctly used it as a learning experience. Glad to know it won't make it quit . . . first match DQs tend to cause people with fragile egos to never try again.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    They there are two kinds of people. Those that have been DQ'ed and those that will be.

First time shooters at a match should focus solely on safety and nothing else. Everyone wants to do well, that is why you are at a competition, but first things first.

Also as stated above no RO wants to DQ anyone. But safety has to come first. If half of the world is not enough room for muzzle (inside the 180) then you should not be handling guns. If the DQ is not a consequence then someone will end up getting hurt as sloppy gun handling results from a lack of enforcement. Anyone is capable of screwing this up on any given day, and if today is your day then the RO needs to hold you accountable for what you did. One great thing about USPSA is muzzle discipline if great improved.

Good on paper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 18, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I’m probably the minority but I feel like the whole if you haven’t DQ’ed you’re going to is kind of a cop out for not being cognizant or being sloppy.
    If you’re a beginner you should be slow and careful enough to not run into the ‘red zone’ and if you’re more experienced you should see where the pitfalls are and ensure that your stage plan keeps you within safe boundaries for you and your squad.
    My $.02

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I’m probably the minority but I feel like the whole if you haven’t DQ’ed you’re going to is kind of a cop out for not being cognizant or being sloppy.
    If you’re a beginner you should be slow and careful enough to not run into the ‘red zone’ and if you’re more experienced you should see where the pitfalls are and ensure that your stage plan keeps you within safe boundaries for you and your squad.
    My $.02

I've been shooting USPSA and several of the other actions shooting sports since 1994. I felt the same way as you until I tripped over a fault line in the Indiana section/state match back in 2006 or maybe 2007.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    "It can’t happen to me because ...." is just ego talking. I’ve heard it many times before. however, Trip on a fault line, flub a reload, catch the gun on a port, get off your plan due to needing make up shots and get flustered.... none of those are part of anyone’s "plan" but it happens. Heck you may even be DQd because the RO's idea of the 180 is different than yours and you may not even agree with the call. I have seen some crazy DQs over the years, some not even during a COF. ESP when you Mix in extreme weather and long days and other things that can slow a person's judgment. The "it can’t happen to me" guys usually are the ones who get all kinds of upset when they DO get the call (them and the "actors" who pretend to be all indignant about a "bad" call in hopes of getting it overturned). Relying on your plan, as you say, isn’t always the answer because it’s often when the plan has gone to crap that mistakes happen. I’ve had 2 DQs, I’d guess one about 13 years ago, the other maybe 15. I’m in kind of in a constant fear that I could do it again, which helps me be aware even when my plans have fallen apart. heck, Robby leatham DQd a couple years ago, I think at a national championship event.

i tripped on a fault line last year... was kinda proud that I kept the muzzle down range and finger off trigger as shown on video.... what the video also showed was the RO didn’t catch that I swept my foot as I tumbled and should have been DQd.

So I don’t see it as any kind of "cop out" that I believe it’s possible I could DQ in my next match. It actually makes me work harder to ensure it doesn’t happen...

For the OP, a first match can be overwhelming. 180 DQs on reloads when moving to the weak side are very common. This actually is something that as 'Good on Paper' says can be mitigated in stage planning (eg plan to go the other way or finish the reload before moving). Go practice some weak-side reloads in dryfire. Come out next time with your focus on muzzle control and your trigger finger. Go fast, but pay special attention to what it takes to compete safely. Soon, that thinking will become more subconscious allowing you to focus more on performing...

-rvb

Good on paper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 18, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I've been shooting USPSA and several of the other actions shooting sports since 1994. I felt the same way as you until I tripped over a fault line in the Indiana section/state match back in 2006 or maybe 2007.

That’s the part I didn’t add, something off the wall is bound to happen to me the next match now :)
    At the SNS 400 I happened to be at the safe table with Shannon Smith, he told me he got DQed at a national because he had one foot outside the safe table boundary.
    Maybe I came on a little strong...

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    Safety has to be first before anything else or people will get hurt. I started shooting IDPA in early 2000's and became a SO in 2007 so shot and SO'ed quite a few matches. Been DQ'ed twice and both times it was because I did something un-safe, all the SO did was call the infraction.
    I don't like to DQ anyone either but safety rules are pretty clear and as stated above there must be consequences for an un-safe act. I remember a monthly club match a year or two ago, three people were DQ'ed before the match started. I can only remember two of them, one shooter shot a hole in the "Safe Table" while he was getting gunned-up. The other was in the club house, took the gun out of his holster and laid it on the counter pointing toward about 40 other shooters. That was an unusual day, seems like most are for 180 or sweeping themselves.
    One thing new shooters seem to do is at UASC, slide forward, pull trigger and holster; they want to pick up the dropped magazine before they holster. Easy way to sweep their hand or my foot and either will earn a DQ. Shoot safe, Jim.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana

Has any shooter ever made it to M or GM without being dq'd on the way?

I think urban legend is that Ben Stoeger might have but I do not know that for a fact. Ben aside, I think Jerry Miculek made a comment to the effect of "I've been dq'd 10 times and I'm not proud of a damn one of them" (here say but from a reliable source), seems like that is typical of those sloppy and incognizant pro shooters :) .

Fuzz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    LaFONTAINE
    Has any shooter ever made it to M or GM without being dq'd on the way?

I think urban legend is that Ben Stoeger might have but I do not know that for a fact. Ben aside, I think Jerry Miculek made a comment to the effect of "I've been dq'd 10 times and I'm not proud of a damn one of them" (here say but from a reliable source), seems like that is typical of those sloppy and incognizant pro shooters :) .

You and I know of one local (Indiana) GM that has not been DQ'ed.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    My $.02

I have always taken it as those in glass houses should not throw stones. Sloppy gun handling is not excused or condoned.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I've seen some and done it myself.

I got DQ'D last September when I didn't get my pistol fully clicked into my holster. It hit the ground hot as I crawled up out of a thigh deep mud water pit. I'm lucky the loaded pistol wasn't in deep muddy water.

I would say it was a poorly designed stage but I was the only person that got a DQ that day.

Using Tapatalk to annoy my INGO buddies cameramonkey & churchmouse. Hi!

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    At wildcat, my first DQ (only one so far) in USPSA was gun on top or a wet barrel (no mat or anything on top). At beep, I bumped the barrel with my knee and the gun slid and fell. Didn't even have time to grab the gun. I still stayed and RO'd the squad till the end.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    At wildcat, my first DQ (only one so far) in USPSA was gun on top or a wet barrel (no mat or anything on top). At beep, I bumped the barrel with my knee and the gun slid and fell. Didn't even have time to grab the gun. I still stayed and RO'd the squad till the end.

I remember that.

You handled it like a champ, sir. You're a good example for others. RESPECT.

That was also a lesson that using bare plastic barrels for table top starts is a very bad idea. While it was your responsibility, what happened was not 100% your fault. A piece of carpet or mat or even better a box with a mat in it would have prevented that.

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    I remember that.

You handled it like a champ, sir. You're a good example for others. RESPECT.

That was also a lesson that using bare plastic barrels for table top starts is a very bad idea. While it was your responsibility, what happened was not 100% your fault. A piece of carpet or mat or even better a box with a mat in it would have prevented that.

Was it like 3 years ago?

Top Bottom