Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

User Info Menu

family vacations, most school corps only have about 2 months summer vaca these days
    county fairs and other events of this type
    HOT weather
    june,july august typically the lowest turnout months
    USPSA ty17278. Riley Conservation Club VP

rvb

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bosshoss View Post

I think the clubs in our area are all down some this summer from what I'm seeing.

A side note: most clubs are having trouble getting setup help
    Both are true for Fort Wayne.
    -rvb
    Ryan V. B. TY56060 Come shoot USPSA w Ft Wayne Area Practical Shooters: www.facebook.com/fwuspsa

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by blkrifle View Post
    family vacations, most school corps only have about 2 months summer vaca these days
    county fairs and other events of this type
    HOT weather
    june,july august typically the lowest turnout months

ive had a couple weeks of working 12hr days, combined with the heat, traffic I deal with, and needing to get a few things done around the house, I missed my 1st match in over a year.
    I shoot every Saturday of the month, 2 weeks ago I shot steel at wildcat valley, mentally (and physically) drained by the time I got back home, plus fighting a (seemingly) never ending battle with my RFRO. I solved that problem yesterday, rifle is gone, and a brand new MP 15-22 has a new home.

User Info Menu

Seems like the attendance fell off almost the exact same day that they got rid of the hard copy rule books.
    In a perfect world liberals would taste good and be easy to field dress.

User Info Menu

Having only shot two matches in my life, both last year in the same weekend, I want to shoot more, but just don't have the time. I hit a USPSA match at Wildcat on Saturday, then a USPSA match at South Central on Sunday. Both were a blast, but, given the time to go back, I'm going to South Central.

No slam on Wildcat, but SC was a much more challenging course. They put a lot of thought into making it tough, and I really enjoyed it. Thanks again to Boss Hoss for babysitting us new guys, and not letting us shoot each other.

I can't wait to come back.

User Info Menu

Is it the USPSA or the steel challenge matches that are down?
    Outlier

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gregkl View Post
    Is it the USPSA or the steel challenge matches that are down?

I wonder this too. Seems like some steel matches are sparsely-attended, and it's the same six people shooting every gun in their safe.

I haven't shot SCGC much, but I always liked their stages (talking USPSA here) more than other places. It's just a little far/remote for me.

I like high round counts. But I don't think anybody ever drove home thinking "Gee I wish there were more memory stages."

I do believe that the expectation of more and more elaborate stages sets up somewhat of an unsustainable situation for small clubs. I've been shooting a few years and my next goal is to become an RO. But I will flat-out admit, it's hard enough for me to even _get_ to matches on summer weekends, much less help set up. I think that will be the ultimate limitation of USPSA at the club level: not enough volunteers to do the work. I saw this when I was still involved in Trapshooting over 10 years ago. People like to attend big shoots, but for some reason volunteering at a small club is a harder draw. Shooters today, and this is not just USPSA, have more of a "customer" mentality than a "volunteer" mentality. They want to show up and pay their money and shoot, and that's it. I think clubs will be forced eventually to make stages that are less elaborate, although still high round-count. It will just be a matter of practicality and are two people willing to bust their butts making "big match simulation stages" a reality, with little or no help. I got shouted down the last time I voiced this opinion, but there it is. Yes, people do not want 12- and 24-round technical stages. But at the same time, if you have to lug barrels and drive stakes for hours to create Easter Egg hunts, I think that's eventually going to be a lonely job for someone and concessions will have to be made.

I actually think SCGC has some of the best matches (again talking USPSA) and do not need to be doubting yourselves. My impression of that club is fun stages that give you different choices how to run it, and I think once the weather gets more tame (and the roads are fixed!) you will be doing just fine.

User Info Menu

Twangbanger made an interesting point. SCGC is remote and therefor a drive from anywhere. That alone hinders activities. It really cuts down on volunteers to help setup as well. I appreciate seeing the feedback to Max’s question and it has given me a couple ideas. Ultimately this is all up to the match directors but I do have a little pull, at least as it pertains to voicing an opinion.
    "Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side kid." - Han Solo

User Info Menu

It seems attendance for USPSA has been on a downward slope locally since 2015-6.

Plinker

User Info Menu

Maybe we need to do more to attract the PCC crowd. . . . . maybe a hot tub start or two.

https://instagram.com/p/B0Wvs6KA7gx/

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast