What is UP with South Central Gun Club Matches??????

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

sv40sw45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    South Indiana
    OK Guys and Gals!!!! What is going on with SCGC Match attendance?? The last 2 matches we only had 30 some shooters!!! We use to average 50-60 per match and have had a high as 80. Are the stages to HARD? Are the stages to EASY? You don't like Craig(I had to stick that in there), round count to High?
    Let us know what you are thinking. We put a lot of work into each match hoping to keep them Fun and Challenging. Max

Last edited:

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    Sorry to hear that Max. I've been going to Wildcat on 1st sat but not consistently. Work has been mentally tiring and have been using weekends to recharge. Hell, if it wasn't for Johnny Mags going to Riley, I would have not gone too. :):

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    Been battling knee injury most of the year, and some other things.

I like difficult matches and stages that screw pcc.

High round counts are good with me.

Last edited:

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    I'm guessing it's Trumps fault.:wrongdoor:

I personally don't want to see a lower round count.
    I like hard stages and memory stages. I also know others don't and I don't want a match full of memory or hard stages(even if that is what I like) as I don't want to see new shooters or others discouraged.
    I also don't care for a match full of hoser stages and not really a fan of NO matches but I will shoot whatever is set up and try not to ***** too much.
    I come to have fun at the matches and what stages I'm shooting doesn't matter as much as the friends I'm shooting with.

I think the clubs in our area are all down some this summer from what I'm seeing.
    Some of the clubs that are showing decent numbers like Owensboro and ACC are shooting a two day format which opens it up to people who can't make a Sunday shoot.
    They also have several shooters shoot both days so that helps their numbers a lot.

The heat has kept some away also.

A side note: most clubs are having trouble getting setup help and many clubs have folded because of this, PLEASE try to help with setup at your local club. You don't have to do it every month but if more shooters came out to help set up even a couple of times a year it would help a lot and the stages would get even better.
    I help setup stages every month at two different clubs and I can tell you that when we show up and there are three or four of us trying to setup six fun and interesting stages we wonder why bother when no one else seems to care. Then the next day we hear shooters that never help setup complain that these are almost the same stages we shot last month or other complaints about the stages :xmad:

colt22man

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 5, 2011
    SOUTHERN INDIANA
    Stages are fun.
    I enjoy chatting with all the competitors. Match's are fun.
    I don't think you have a round count or stage difficulty problem.
    I enjoy difficult stages and making them PCC difficult is OK with me.
    The big turnouts are generally spring & early summer.
    The hotter the wx the lower the turnout.
    Craig, Steve & Max all awesome guys doing a great job for SCGC.
    I'm scratching my head and have no answer for low turnout.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Probably as simple as summer is warm and there are more family commitments. Family/Work/Fun. Pick two

blkrifle

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    terre haute
    family vacations, most school corps only have about 2 months summer vaca these days
    county fairs and other events of this type
    HOT weather
    june,july august typically the lowest turnout months

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    family vacations, most school corps only have about 2 months summer vaca these days
    county fairs and other events of this type
    HOT weather
    june,july august typically the lowest turnout months

ive had a couple weeks of working 12hr days, combined with the heat, traffic I deal with, and needing to get a few things done around the house, I missed my 1st match in over a year.
    I shoot every Saturday of the month, 2 weeks ago I shot steel at wildcat valley, mentally (and physically) drained by the time I got back home, plus fighting a (seemingly) never ending battle with my RFRO. I solved that problem yesterday, rifle is gone, and a brand new MP 15-22 has a new home.

:cheers:

:cheers:

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Having only shot two matches in my life, both last year in the same weekend, I want to shoot more, but just don't have the time. I hit a USPSA match at Wildcat on Saturday, then a USPSA match at South Central on Sunday. Both were a blast, but, given the time to go back, I'm going to South Central.

No slam on Wildcat, but SC was a much more challenging course. They put a lot of thought into making it tough, and I really enjoyed it. Thanks again to Boss Hoss for babysitting us new guys, and not letting us shoot each other. :laugh:

I can't wait to come back.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Is it the USPSA or the steel challenge matches that are down?

I wonder this too. Seems like some steel matches are sparsely-attended, and it's the same six people shooting every gun in their safe.

I haven't shot SCGC much, but I always liked their stages (talking USPSA here) more than other places. It's just a little far/remote for me.

I like high round counts. But I don't think anybody ever drove home thinking "Gee I wish there were more memory stages."

I do believe that the expectation of more and more elaborate stages sets up somewhat of an unsustainable situation for small clubs. I've been shooting a few years and my next goal is to become an RO. But I will flat-out admit, it's hard enough for me to even _get_ to matches on summer weekends, much less help set up. I think that will be the ultimate limitation of USPSA at the club level: not enough volunteers to do the work. I saw this when I was still involved in Trapshooting over 10 years ago. People like to attend big shoots, but for some reason volunteering at a small club is a harder draw. Shooters today, and this is not just USPSA, have more of a "customer" mentality than a "volunteer" mentality. They want to show up and pay their money and shoot, and that's it. I think clubs will be forced eventually to make stages that are less elaborate, although still high round-count. It will just be a matter of practicality and are two people willing to bust their butts making "big match simulation stages" a reality, with little or no help. I got shouted down the last time I voiced this opinion, but there it is. Yes, people do not want 12- and 24-round technical stages. But at the same time, if you have to lug barrels and drive stakes for hours to create Easter Egg hunts, I think that's eventually going to be a lonely job for someone and concessions will have to be made.

I actually think SCGC has some of the best matches (again talking USPSA) and do not need to be doubting yourselves. My impression of that club is fun stages that give you different choices how to run it, and I think once the weather gets more tame (and the roads are fixed!) you will be doing just fine.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Twangbanger made an interesting point. SCGC is remote and therefor a drive from anywhere. That alone hinders activities. It really cuts down on volunteers to help setup as well. I appreciate seeing the feedback to Max’s question and it has given me a couple ideas. Ultimately this is all up to the match directors but I do have a little pull, at least as it pertains to voicing an opinion.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom