Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

User Info Menu

How do you dryfire?

I have 3 USPSA targets in my garage that I run different drills on 3-4 times a week, maybe 15-20 min a session. Just got into USPSA, having a blast. What do you guys do for practice? How often? Has anybody used Ben Stogers drill kit with the mini targets?

User Info Menu

Just picked up 4 book package from Ben stoeger website & starting dryfire practicing his program. It's very informative. Actually it gives me a schedule & drive to practice. I try to practice 3 days dryfire for 30-40 min first if the week then live fire Thurs and Friday. Still learning..lol

User Info Menu

I use the mini targets and like them. I also have 1 full size in the room and I made one out of some old Styrofoam stuff that is full size and put on a fence post outside the window in the dry fire room (mancave for me) Its at 20 yards and keeps it real.

I have a range in my back yard so that helps.

I have the best intentions of dry firing 5 days a week but it is usually 2-3

I also try to do at least 2 live fire on the range 2 times a week. This I am a lot more serious about. Pretty much this is a minimum for me.

I also video some dry fire session and watch for mistakes.

I am also B for life Hope this helps.

P.S. Remember that if you are dry firing and doing things incorrectly then you are making thing worse and creating Bad Habits. This much I know
    MOLAN LABE

Plinker

User Info Menu

Iím still new to the sport so take what I say with a grain of salt. I try to dry fire 5 days a week for 15 minutes. This has made huge gains in my shooting. Iíve been MIA from dry fire for about a week now and I can tell my reloads are very sloppy and my index is awful.

You get what you put into it. I use the Stoeger books and I think theyíre a great base to build on. It probably took me three months of off and on dry fire before I really started to notice lots of improvement. Donít burn yourself out but also you need to be consistent if you want to make real gains.

User Info Menu

Iím cheap so I printed off some 1/3 scale USPSA targets and used them as a stencil on some old cardboard boxes. Outlined the A zones so I have a reference point for aiming. They seem to work well.

Ive just started dry firing 5 times a week using Steve Andersonís 12 drills. Live fire is a little harder to come by right now due to budget constraints, but I try to practice 2-300 rounds once a month and shoot one match a month. I think Andersonís drills cover the necessities pretty well, but have to wait until my next match to see if there are noticeable gains.

User Info Menu

I like this book https://www.amazon.com/Refinement-Re.../dp/1930847769

Any would do fine. I will say that dry fire can be dangerous. Particularly when you are getting started. When I got hooked I thought I would dry fire my way into improving drastically. Instead, I developed really bad habits because I did not yet understand live fire well enough to translate the difference between two. Make absolutely sure you can see the sight or dot lifting and settling in live fire. Be honest about it because it takes time to see this. That's what happened to me. I dry fired my way into ignoring the sights and the results were really negative. Also, don't ignore pain. The repetition can give you a nasty case of tendinitis or tennis elbow.

Time is all dependent on what you're doing. Personally, a short time with good focus is better than a long time for me. A good 15 minute session is what I prefer.
    Targets? I cut my own scale targets. Then I used full size targets with index cards for A zone. Currently using printed out paper circles for steel plates.

Good luck

rvb

User Info Menu

For the last few years this has been my typical dryfire routine....

At the first stage's "Make Ready" command I draw my gun to a sight picture, cock it and reholster. I then draw to a sight picture and dryfire once before making the gun hot and reholstering. I announce "Look, I practiced!"

If Corey is around he usually says "Proud of you."

-rvb

ps. This is not proving to be an effective regimen.
    Last edited by rvb; 4 Weeks Ago at 10:38.
    Ryan V. B. TY56060 Come shoot USPSA w Ft Wayne Area Practical Shooters: www.facebook.com/fwuspsa

Plinker

User Info Menu

RVB as one of our residential GM's, what was your dry fire like when you were on your way up?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rvb View Post
    For the last few years this has been my typical dryfire routine....

At the first stage's "Make Ready" command I draw my gun to a sight picture, cock it and reholster. I then draw to a sight picture and dryfire once before making the gun hot and reholstering. I announce "Look, I practiced!"

If Corey is around he usually says "Proud of you."

-rvb

ps. This is not proving to be an effective regimen.
    That's a true gangster regimen.

User Info Menu

Laser ammo cartridge, with ShootOff software (free)
    And Mantis X10

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast