• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MuncieFud

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2018
    Muncie
    I've been shooting IDPA and USPSA for a while now and I'm leaps and bounds better than I was five months ago. I still look at my competition locally and feel like I'm not "good". I say "good" because I don't know how you define it. How do you personally define good? What happened in your shooting that made you feel like you were "good"?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    You've only shot one season and are expecting to run with the big dogs?

How many instructive shooting sports classes have you taken?

In shooting sports the score sheet determines "good." Where you fall on the sheet let's you determine where good is for you.

Last edited:

Good on paper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 18, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Maybe you need to define a goal and that will help you measure your progress?
    Mine used to be make A in uspsa and be a local match contender in my division. I dropped the A class goal figuring it will come as I improve.
    Where you place is so dependent on who else shows up. In the last 2 matches I shot I took 1st in one and 4th in the other in my division. The local hotness was at the 4 place finish match and I was more proud of that one than the 1st in division, I also knew I shot better.
    If you want a hard numbers metric the classifiers are probably the best bet as they’re the same and it’s a safe bet you’ll shoot them more than once in 2 seasons or so.
    The real eye opener was comparing last years ‘good stage’ videos to this years. I’m more confident and move more efficiently.
    I'm still not ‘good’ but I’m getting better :)

Last edited:

MuncieFud

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2018
    Muncie
    Not to sound all high and mighty but i did get high over all at the last uspsa at acc ( no one needs to know that only 24 of the usual 100 showed up).

I’m not expecting to win. I still see the huge skill gap that is going to take lots of dedication before I ever get close. It’s more a personal question about when you started to feel like a good shooter. I was always the best handgun shooter among my friends and thought I was “good”. Now looking at the skill gap just locally I realize I’m not.

I’m training often to get to the point where I’m “good” but I don’t know how to define it. My initial classification is c class. Which isn’t “ good” but if you put me up against 100 people who walk into a gun shop on a given day I like my odds of being well within top half.

I would say I have “ good” splits and gun handling for an average shooter but only average accuracy, does that mean I’m “good”?

I just like to get to get in the heads of the other crazy people who spend too much time and money putting holes in cardboard.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    Hopefully you'll never be satisfied, your personal definition of "good" will constantly adjust and you will keep challenging yourself.

I remind myself that learning safe gun handling comes first, having fun is second and to compete first with myself and look for improvement.

I'm a newb at this shooting stuff, for me there is much to learn and experience, hopefully the opportunities learn and improve never run out.

Cowboy1629

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    West Central Indiana
    The older you get the more the definition of “good” will change. As your eyesight and reaction time deteriorate so does your score. You may be wiser but not necessarily faster or as accurate as you once were.

So “good” might mean you completed the match, shot the best you physically could, and enjoyed your time on the range with good people.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    It sounds like you're comparing yourself to others. It's good to look how you're doing in relation to others, but if you make it your sole focus, it will crush you. My observation has been that anybody who has been doing it long enough, will eventually get passed by someone who has only been doing it a couple years, but who works really hard, has limited family responsibilities, and gets hot. In fact, if you stick around long enough, this cycle will probably get repeated every five years or so. Further observation is that the hot ones also often burn out, sell their guns and move on in a few years. Very few can be competitive outside their home state, and pretty much everyone finds out the hill tips upward very steeply, once you're outside the "small pond" of your local club.

At some level, everybody sucks. The suckage gets better over time. Enjoy the journey and make progress. Keep your shooting brain fresh by switching it up and shooting other guns and other matches now and then; don't get enslaved to one type of sport. Try to be the person who's still there in five years, learning and improving, because you didn't get demoralized at the competition your first few years. That is success in my book.

In shooting sports and other activities like music, I'm constantly encountering people who are not only better, but on a whole, completely different level. What I have learned over time, after seeing what they've had to do in their lives to get to that level of shooting or playing, is that I would not trade places with them for anything.

Last edited:

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    When you go to level 2 matches or 3 like Area matches, that's how you can tell how good you are. Local matches are not a good barometer for skills IMO.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    What is your end game, competing at a national level in USPSA or improving your self defense skills? I sometimes shoot USPSA for practice but use the carry gun match to gauge myself since my focus is improving my potential to defend myself. The phrase "What level of imperfection are you willing to settle for in your pistol shooting" applies here. When I shoot a Carry gun match I look at my number of A zone hits compared to others and if I don't have any D zone hits or Mikes and finish in the top half that's what I consider a good match. I'll always want to improve my "level of imperfection" and with great instruction (from Coach) and practice I've become more capable that I ever dreamed I would be a few years ago.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Aron Bright[/FONT]

Last edited:

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    There original question was about good. I think a few of these answers are talking about great.

The water in this state is much deeper than it once was. Meaning there are many more great shooters here now than 10 years ago.

In the right division in this state you might never win a local match because there is a great shooter in that Division no matter where you go. I would say Production in Indiana is an example of that.

B class is the beginning of black belt status. If you are there you are good. If you are competitive in B class you are very good.

Away from the sports. I always ask myself if my daughter, wife or son were being held hostage across the room could I make that shot and know it would end well. I have doubts so I cotinue to practice with goal of improving.

harleymac1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2013
    Morgan County
    I am quite curious after reading through the thread. It is obvious to me that my eyesight has been deteriorating and I don't move like I once did. My goal going into this game is to finish top half of my division in the locals. Would I like to be a B class or higher shooter? You better believe I would but starting this game at 53 might prohibit that. Not going to stop me from playing though. I am signed up for Coach's upcoming Intro to USPSA class next week and I will probably seek some one on one coaching as well to see how "good" I can get. So, for the curiosity question, how many of you started this game on the back side of 50?

Fuzz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    LaFONTAINE
    Not to sound all high and mighty but i did get high over all at the last uspsa at acc ( no one needs to know that only 24 of the usual 100 showed up).

I’m not expecting to win. I still see the huge skill gap that is going to take lots of dedication before I ever get close. It’s more a personal question about when you started to feel like a good shooter. I was always the best handgun shooter among my friends and thought I was “good”. Now looking at the skill gap just locally I realize I’m not.

I’m training often to get to the point where I’m “good” but I don’t know how to define it. My initial classification is c class. Which isn’t “ good” but if you put me up against 100 people who walk into a gun shop on a given day I like my odds of being well within top half.

I would say I have “ good” splits and gun handling for an average shooter but only average accuracy, does that mean I’m “good”?

I just like to get to get in the heads of the other crazy people who spend too much time and money putting holes in cardboard.

Muncie you have to understand that this was a classifier match with most of the big dogs out of town for the Ill sectional.

I finished second behind you. I threw one stage because I did not want it to hurt my total since the first shot was a D. The other stage I blew with a Mike because I have a 72% score in there and I needed to beat that so I pushed it beyond my skill level and I did not make it so the score won't count.

You will find others did the same kind of things in a classifier match. You were in our squad there was a guy that smoked the Can you count stage and then did not shoot any more because he did not want to post a mediocre score and hurt himself. Yes this is gaming and that is some of what happens. I won 3 of the six stages and the 4th was only beaten by the guy that I spoke of above on Can You Count. The other 2 stages were the ones I tanked.

Do not get me wrong Muncie. I have watched you come along and you are doing an amazing job and I see your hard work. I don't believe I have seen anyone new to the sport move up so fast. Kudo's to you. and keep it up. You are shooting to the C class skill level and learning fast, that's good.

Just understand that you still have a lot to learn and it will come in time and with experience.

To answer the question: Good or bad is base on an opinion of yourself and will very from person to person.

Example: I think I am a great guy. Most people think I am an ass. It's all about perspective.

sv40sw45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    South Indiana
    If you shoot a Match, Have a plan for each stage!!! Make no mistakes in you plan for each stage, You should feel GOOD. Not saying you will place good in the standing but this is where you start to be GOOD. MAKE NO MISTAKES!!!

Fuzz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    LaFONTAINE
    If you shoot a Match, Have a plan for each stage!!! Make no mistakes in you plan for each stage, You should feel GOOD. Not saying you will place good in the standing but this is where you start to be GOOD. MAKE NO MISTAKES!!!

Wait a minute. I know you have been good for many many years and still make mistakes! LOL

MuncieFud

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2018
    Muncie
    Just to clarify I added in the part about how many shooters where their to try and show it was sarcasm. I know I wasn’t the best shooter on the range that day.

Fuzz, your actually someone I’m trying to chase. I saw you shoot at one of my first matches and I thought you were a great shooter. You are a consistently good shooter. I’m usually riding the edge of doing good and a dumpster fire. When I watch you shoot I can see you have much more control than I do.

Do I expect to have wins in my first season? No. If I tell myself that it’ll take five years to get the the point that I’ll be “good” or win then I’ll give up now.

I’m shooting in competitions to be competitive. My goal when i started was to be in the mix of people in my division. I’m not their yet.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I am quite curious after reading through the thread. It is obvious to me that my eyesight has been deteriorating and I don't move like I once did. My goal going into this game is to finish top half of my division in the locals. Would I like to be a B class or higher shooter? You better believe I would but starting this game at 53 might prohibit that. Not going to stop me from playing though. I am signed up for Coach's upcoming Intro to USPSA class next week and I will probably seek some one on one coaching as well to see how "good" I can get. So, for the curiosity question, how many of you started this game on the back side of 50?

I am 51 now and started 3 years ago. B class came fairly easy, A is proving to be harder than I thought. Part of that is because the bar gets higher all of the time being set by what are in essence professional shooters. You can still get good at our age. It does require a lot of work though.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    There original question was about good. I think a few of these answers are talking about great.

The water in this state is much deeper than it once was. Meaning there are many more great shooters here now than 10 years ago.

In the right division in this state you might never win a local match because there is a great shooter in that Division no matter where you go. I would say Production in Indiana is an example of that.

B class is the beginning of black belt status. If you are there you are good. If you are competitive in B class you are very good.

Away from the sports. I always ask myself if my daughter, wife or son were being held hostage across the room could I make that shot and know it would end well. I have doubts so I cotinue to practice with goal of improving.

Concise and IMHO, correct.

Top Bottom