Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
    There is one tomorrow in Harlan North of Ft Wayne. Come out and watch if not shoot it.
    I seen that but unfortunately already have plans dangit. Thanks though!
    "I am glad I will not be young in a future without wilderness." -Aldo Leopold

User Info Menu

Fairly certain someone could loan you some Glock mags and likely a couple of ccw pouches for them. Just post in advance on a match thread what you're wanting to do.

Atlanta, Indiana next weekend.

Plinker

User Info Menu

There are usually about 6 people at the Fort Wayne (Harlan) match who are shooting their carry guns for practice with no real concern for how they place. Some of them are shooting appendix carry Glock 19's with optics so they are classed as open shooters for example. They just use the match as a way to practice with their carry gun. You would fit in just fine with a G26.

User Info Menu

ive been shooting USPSA since the mid 90's in the open division.
    IF i was going to run in another division, IE: production
    and already shot a 9mm glock,
    i'd go looking for a USED 17 or 19, grab 3 or 4 mags, fobus holster and mag carriers, and a midway competition inner/outer belt.
    I think it's a good idea to watch at least 1 match before you decide to compete. follow a squad around during the day, pay attention to how a stage is run, TO's commands ect. and ask some questions. for the most part, other shooters are helpful and friendly

User Info Menu

I have shot a G26 many times in USPSA Production. I actually shoot the G26 better than the G19 that I own. As was said before, shoot some matches before investing in another gun. Once you shoot a couple of matches you will decide how to proceed.
    PS: Your gun budget is going to go way up once your hooked.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crewchief888 View Post
    I think it's a good idea to watch at least 1 match before you decide to compete. follow a squad around during the day, pay attention to how a stage is run, TO's commands ect. and ask some questions. for the most part, other shooters are helpful and friendly
    That'll be my plan for next month's match in Warsaw. I'm really looking forward to it.

Thanks again everyone. I'll just hold off buying a gun or anything for now until I watch the match next month. Definitely looks like a sport that could get addicting.
    "I am glad I will not be young in a future without wilderness." -Aldo Leopold

rvb

User Info Menu

Meh, buy another mag or two if you need to (or post here and ask to borrow a couple) and show up planning to shoot. You can watch most of the shooters on Your squad before it’s your turn. That’s all the more “watching” you need to do. If you want to watch more, go to YouTube.

Download the rulebook and review the safety rules. Post here if you Have questions.

-rvb
    Ryan V. B. TY56060 Come shoot USPSA w Ft Wayne Area Practical Shooters: www.facebook.com/fwuspsa

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rvb View Post
    Meh, buy another mag or two if you need to (or post here and ask to borrow a couple) and show up planning to shoot. You can watch most of the shooters on Your squad before it’s your turn. That’s all the more “watching” you need to do. If you want to watch more, go to YouTube.

Download the rulebook and review the safety rules. Post here if you Have questions.

-rvb
    Agreed! Most people who watch their first match wish they had brought their gear.

"The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State."
    INDIANA CONSTITUTION
    Article 1 - Bill of Rights - Section 32

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

To prevail you must ACT!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rvb View Post

-rvb
    Totally agree with rvb. I just started shooting this year at age 65 and have done 3 USPSA matches. Watching video will help, reading the rules will help. Your fellow shooters at the match will help the most.

I believe you will get a LOT more benefit shooting when you go to Warsaw. The best advice I got when I decided to enter competitions was to just do it.

Let them know you are a first timer when you arrive to check in. Let your squad RO know you are a first timer. You will be amazed at how helpful everyone is.

First match just concentrate on safety. Take your time when going thru the stages. You'll be learning by doing. Don't care about your score!

If you go watch by the end of the second stage you'll be kicking yourself and wishing you had entered.

rvb

User Info Menu

I'm always afraid of the advice to go watch your first match.... I'm afraid it'll turn shooters away. I'm pretty sure I've seen people come watch one of our matches and never seen them again.

USPSA is, frankly, very boring to watch, especially when you don't really know what's going on.

But once you've finished your first stage and your hands are trembling from the adrenaline, your head is spinning, your heart is racing, you'll want nothing more than to get to the next stage to get to do it again. Then the idea that you could have done it better will kick in, and you'll be hooked.

Show up ready to shoot, IMO, even w/ very basic gear like your carry holster and G26 and a couple spare mags stuffed into your back pocket...

-rvb

Ryan V. B. TY56060 Come shoot USPSA w Ft Wayne Area Practical Shooters: www.facebook.com/fwuspsa

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast