Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

User Info Menu

Carry gun for USPSA?

This has probably been asked a million times but I didn't find what I was after using the search function so figured I would ask. I've been thinking about giving USPSA a try next spring but I don't own a gun truly made for competition. I carry a Glock 26 and like it, but would be willing to trade it in on a Glock 19 (or something similar) if I thought it would be a little better to get me started. Looking for input. I'm not ruling out buying a new gun for just competition and keeping the 26 for CCW, but it's not an option right now. Or at least that's what my accountant wife tells me. Input? Thanks in advance.
    "I am glad I will not be young in a future without wilderness." -Aldo Leopold

User Info Menu

Too bad you aren't closer to Indy.. The Carry gun match that Coach organizes is exactly what you are looking for.

NRA Life Member / Basic Pistol instructor / RSO

"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard"
    Unnamed Navy Seal

“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public”

Aron Bright
    Any man can make mistakes but only and idiot persists in his error.. Cicero 200 BC

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NHT3 View Post
    Too bad you aren't closer to Indy.. The Carry gun match that Coach organizes is exactly what you are looking for.

Yeah, that would be perfect (and fun).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Big Flounder View Post
    This has probably been asked a million times but I didn't find what I was after using the search function so figured I would ask. I've been thinking about giving USPSA a try next spring but I don't own a gun truly made for competition. I carry a Glock 26 and like it, but would be willing to trade it in on a Glock 19 (or something similar) if I thought it would be a little better to get me started. Looking for input. I'm not ruling out buying a new gun for just competition and keeping the 26 for CCW, but it's not an option right now. Or at least that's what my accountant wife tells me. Input? Thanks in advance.
    To participate, you need a holster and enough mags to be able to shoot a 32-40 round course. You will need a way to carry the mags so you can reload as required. If you have what is needed to participate you should come shoot a time or two and see what it's all about, but I would not invest in any gear to do so because you would eventually want a full-sized pistol to get more involved. If you don't have the equipment, I would advise you to come watch for a bit so you can gain an understanding of what it's all about and the equipment used. Last, I would set-up a secret bank account. Your accountant likely won't agree with the expenses in competitive shooting

The carry match would likely be something you could do with your equipment. I also believe IDPA has a division for bug guns, but I am not knowledgeable in IPDA.

User Info Menu

Get 3 full size Glock mags and come shoot. Sign up for limited and you can reload from your pockets. If you want to spend 20 bucks more, get a fobus or Uncle Mike's double mag pouch.

After a couple of matches, you'll have a better understanding of the stages and can decide to go to a G19 for double duty or save up for dedicated gun.

There's still at least a month and a half left of matches so come out this year instead of waiting for spring.

rvb

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by romack991 View Post
    Get 3 full size Glock mags and come shoot. Sign up for limited and you can reload from your pockets. If you want to spend 20 bucks more, get a fobus or Uncle Mike's double mag pouch.

After a couple of matches, you'll have a better understanding of the stages and can decide to go to a G19 for double duty or save up for dedicated gun.

There's still at least a month and a half left of matches so come out this year instead of waiting for spring.
    ^ This. ^

Most important thing is to get started and then after you have a little experience and have a better idea what division is for you, then buy guns/gear. I have agood friend shot most of his first season with the g27 he already owned. I used a G19 for a while, incl a state match or two.

Ive seen it several times where people buy guns/gear before shooting their first match only to find out they really want to shoot a different division or their new gun doesn’t really fit in any division well.

-rvb
    Ryan V. B. TY56060 Come shoot USPSA w Ft Wayne Area Practical Shooters: www.facebook.com/fwuspsa

User Info Menu

Dont wait for spring
    No one is stronger or more dangerous than the man who can harness his emotions.

www.BrightFirearmsTraining.com

abright@ccrtc.com

User Info Menu

A growing number of us shoot USPSA (or at least I did) with our carry guns, drawing from the holster we actually use for daily carry, and from concealment. You can dramatically improve your skills with your carry gun if you choose to pressure test your gun, your carry rig, and yourself that way.

Given that, you should have a Glock 17 anyway. Get one and some magazines as soon as you can, but until then, start shooting with what you already have as long as it's safe and within the rules.

"The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State."
    INDIANA CONSTITUTION
    Article 1 - Bill of Rights - Section 32

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

To prevail you must ACT!

User Info Menu

Thanks everyone. That all helps a LOT!

I'd like to start this year but my nearest club has their next match in October and it's their last of the year. I'll be there to check it out, watch, etc but also to take some pics and get info for an article I'll be writing for the local paper. I might shoot that one just to try it.

User Info Menu

Thanks everyone. That all helps a LOT!

I'd like to start this year but my nearest club has their next match in October and it's their last of the year. I'll be there to check it out, watch, etc but also to take some pics and get info for an article I'll be writing for the local paper. I might shoot that one just to try it.
    There is one tomorrow in Harlan North of Ft Wayne. Come out and watch if not shoot it.

MOLAN LABE

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast