• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Big Flounder

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 11, 2019
    Huntington
    This has probably been asked a million times but I didn't find what I was after using the search function so figured I would ask. I've been thinking about giving USPSA a try next spring but I don't own a gun truly made for competition. I carry a Glock 26 and like it, but would be willing to trade it in on a Glock 19 (or something similar) if I thought it would be a little better to get me started. Looking for input. I'm not ruling out buying a new gun for just competition and keeping the 26 for CCW, but it's not an option right now. Or at least that's what my accountant wife tells me. :rolleyes: Input? Thanks in advance.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Too bad you aren't closer to Indy.. The Carry gun match that Coach organizes is exactly what you are looking for.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT]

“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public”

[FONT=&amp]Aron Bright [/FONT]

longbeard

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    United States
    This has probably been asked a million times but I didn't find what I was after using the search function so figured I would ask. I've been thinking about giving USPSA a try next spring but I don't own a gun truly made for competition. I carry a Glock 26 and like it, but would be willing to trade it in on a Glock 19 (or something similar) if I thought it would be a little better to get me started. Looking for input. I'm not ruling out buying a new gun for just competition and keeping the 26 for CCW, but it's not an option right now. Or at least that's what my accountant wife tells me. :rolleyes: Input? Thanks in advance.

To participate, you need a holster and enough mags to be able to shoot a 32-40 round course. You will need a way to carry the mags so you can reload as required. If you have what is needed to participate you should come shoot a time or two and see what it's all about, but I would not invest in any gear to do so because you would eventually want a full-sized pistol to get more involved. If you don't have the equipment, I would advise you to come watch for a bit so you can gain an understanding of what it's all about and the equipment used. Last, I would set-up a secret bank account. Your accountant likely won't agree with the expenses in competitive shooting :D

The carry match would likely be something you could do with your equipment. I also believe IDPA has a division for bug guns, but I am not knowledgeable in IPDA.

romack991

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    Get 3 full size Glock mags and come shoot. Sign up for limited and you can reload from your pockets. If you want to spend 20 bucks more, get a fobus or Uncle Mike's double mag pouch.

After a couple of matches, you'll have a better understanding of the stages and can decide to go to a G19 for double duty or save up for dedicated gun.

There's still at least a month and a half left of matches so come out this year instead of waiting for spring.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Get 3 full size Glock mags and come shoot. Sign up for limited and you can reload from your pockets. If you want to spend 20 bucks more, get a fobus or Uncle Mike's double mag pouch.

After a couple of matches, you'll have a better understanding of the stages and can decide to go to a G19 for double duty or save up for dedicated gun.

There's still at least a month and a half left of matches so come out this year instead of waiting for spring.

^ This. ^

Most important thing is to get started and then after you have a little experience and have a better idea what division is for you, then buy guns/gear. I have agood friend shot most of his first season with the g27 he already owned. I used a G19 for a while, incl a state match or two.

Ive seen it several times where people buy guns/gear before shooting their first match only to find out they really want to shoot a different division or their new gun doesn’t really fit in any division well.

-rvb

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

A growing number of us shoot USPSA (or at least I did) with our carry guns, drawing from the holster we actually use for daily carry, and from concealment. You can dramatically improve your skills with your carry gun if you choose to pressure test your gun, your carry rig, and yourself that way.

Given that, you should have a Glock 17 anyway. Get one and some magazines as soon as you can, but until then, start shooting with what you already have as long as it's safe and within the rules.

Big Flounder

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 11, 2019
    Huntington
    Thanks everyone. That all helps a LOT!

I'd like to start this year but my nearest club has their next match in October and it's their last of the year. I'll be there to check it out, watch, etc but also to take some pics and get info for an article I'll be writing for the local paper. I might shoot that one just to try it.

Fuzz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    LaFONTAINE
    Thanks everyone. That all helps a LOT!

I'd like to start this year but my nearest club has their next match in October and it's their last of the year. I'll be there to check it out, watch, etc but also to take some pics and get info for an article I'll be writing for the local paper. I might shoot that one just to try it.
    There is one tomorrow in Harlan North of Ft Wayne. Come out and watch if not shoot it.

longbeard

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    United States
    Fairly certain someone could loan you some Glock mags and likely a couple of ccw pouches for them. Just post in advance on a match thread what you're wanting to do.

Atlanta, Indiana next weekend.

excursion12

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 10, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    There are usually about 6 people at the Fort Wayne (Harlan) match who are shooting their carry guns for practice with no real concern for how they place. Some of them are shooting appendix carry Glock 19's with optics so they are classed as open shooters for example. They just use the match as a way to practice with their carry gun. You would fit in just fine with a G26.

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    ive been shooting USPSA since the mid 90's in the open division.
    IF i was going to run in another division, IE: production
    and already shot a 9mm glock,
    i'd go looking for a USED 17 or 19, grab 3 or 4 mags, fobus holster and mag carriers, and a midway competition inner/outer belt.
    I think it's a good idea to watch at least 1 match before you decide to compete. follow a squad around during the day, pay attention to how a stage is run, TO's commands ect. and ask some questions. for the most part, other shooters are helpful and friendly

:cheers:

BJones

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Noblesville/Westfld
    I have shot a G26 many times in USPSA Production. I actually shoot the G26 better than the G19 that I own. As was said before, shoot some matches before investing in another gun. Once you shoot a couple of matches you will decide how to proceed.
    PS: Your gun budget is going to go way up once your hooked.:hooked:

Big Flounder

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 11, 2019
    Huntington
    I think it's a good idea to watch at least 1 match before you decide to compete. follow a squad around during the day, pay attention to how a stage is run, TO's commands ect. and ask some questions. for the most part, other shooters are helpful and friendly

That'll be my plan for next month's match in Warsaw. I'm really looking forward to it.

Thanks again everyone. I'll just hold off buying a gun or anything for now until I watch the match next month. Definitely looks like a sport that could get addicting.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Meh, buy another mag or two if you need to (or post here and ask to borrow a couple) and show up planning to shoot. You can watch most of the shooters on Your squad before it’s your turn. That’s all the more “watching” you need to do. If you want to watch more, go to YouTube.

Download the rulebook and review the safety rules. Post here if you Have questions.

-rvb

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Meh, buy another mag or two if you need to (or post here and ask to borrow a couple) and show up planning to shoot. You can watch most of the shooters on Your squad before it’s your turn. That’s all the more “watching” you need to do. If you want to watch more, go to YouTube.

Download the rulebook and review the safety rules. Post here if you Have questions.

-rvb

Agreed! Most people who watch their first match wish they had brought their gear.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.

-rvb

Totally agree with rvb. I just started shooting this year at age 65 and have done 3 USPSA matches. Watching video will help, reading the rules will help. Your fellow shooters at the match will help the most.

I believe you will get a LOT more benefit shooting when you go to Warsaw. The best advice I got when I decided to enter competitions was to just do it.

Let them know you are a first timer when you arrive to check in. Let your squad RO know you are a first timer. You will be amazed at how helpful everyone is.

First match just concentrate on safety. Take your time when going thru the stages. You'll be learning by doing. Don't care about your score!

If you go watch by the end of the second stage you'll be kicking yourself and wishing you had entered.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I'm always afraid of the advice to go watch your first match.... I'm afraid it'll turn shooters away. I'm pretty sure I've seen people come watch one of our matches and never seen them again.

USPSA is, frankly, very boring to watch, especially when you don't really know what's going on.

But once you've finished your first stage and your hands are trembling from the adrenaline, your head is spinning, your heart is racing, you'll want nothing more than to get to the next stage to get to do it again. Then the idea that you could have done it better will kick in, and you'll be hooked.

Show up ready to shoot, IMO, even w/ very basic gear like your carry holster and G26 and a couple spare mags stuffed into your back pocket...

-rvb

Top Bottom