• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jek

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2019
    So part of doing well in any sport that involves moving is getting better at moving.
    Are there any exercises that you do to help a specific part of shooting? It won't matter as much for flat range shooting, but for the kind of competitions that, say, InRange does, its more important.
    Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    The best thing to do is be "generally" physically fit. There is too much specialization in everything these days. Work on:

1. Strength-be able to pick **** up and move it
    2. Agility-be able to shift weight back and forth, up and down, side to side
    3. Balance-be able to maintain balance when the ground beneath you is not stable and level
    4. Stamina/Endurance-be able to last several hours in inclement weather conditions
    5. Power-be able to move off the X quickly and with force
    6. Speed-be able to move forward and backwards, side to side quickly
    7. Accuracy-be able to control your bodily movements and place the body,arms, legs, etc in proper positions
    8. Flexibility-be able to move your body through full range of motion movements
    9. Coordination-be able to coordinate footwork, holster work, firearm manipulation while under stress and time constraints

You can achieve these by strength training, cardiovascular training and mobility work. What you choose is dependent on your level of desire and interest. Some hate to lift weights. If that is you, then look at body weight exercises or something like TRX. Some loathe running. If that is you, look at rowing or cycling.

I know my answer sounds vague but I can't really prescribe a training regime without knowing more.

One could do the following and probably be in better condition than most of the people you will encounter at the range:

Deadlift
    Squat
    Overhead press
    Bench press (maybe)
    Pull-ups
    Push-ups
    Run
    Yoga-or some other type of mobility work. Look up Kelly Starrett.

Or, since you mentioned calisthenics in your title, jumping jacks, push-ups, sit-ups. butterfly kicks, air squats, etc. They all work.

jek

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2019
    The best thing to do is be "generally" physically fit. There is too much specialization in everything these days. Work on:

1. Strength-be able to pick **** up and move it
    2. Agility-be able to shift weight back and forth, up and down, side to side
    3. Balance-be able to maintain balance when the ground beneath you is not stable and level
    4. Stamina/Endurance-be able to last several hours in inclement weather conditions
    5. Power-be able to move off the X quickly and with force
    6. Speed-be able to move forward and backwards, side to side quickly
    7. Accuracy-be able to control your bodily movements and place the body,arms, legs, etc in proper positions
    8. Flexibility-be able to move your body through full range of motion movements
    9. Coordination-be able to coordinate footwork, holster work, firearm manipulation while under stress and time constraints

You can achieve these by strength training, cardiovascular training and mobility work. What you choose is dependent on your level of desire and interest. Some hate to lift weights. If that is you, then look at body weight exercises or something like TRX. Some loathe running. If that is you, look at rowing or cycling.

I know my answer sounds vague but I can't really prescribe a training regime without knowing more.

One could do the following and probably be in better condition than most of the people you will encounter at the range:

Deadlift
    Squat
    Overhead press
    Bench press (maybe)
    Pull-ups
    Push-ups
    Run
    Yoga-or some other type of mobility work. Look up Kelly Starrett.

Or, since you mentioned calisthenics in your title, jumping jacks, push-ups, sit-ups. butterfly kicks, air squats, etc. They all work.

I do fully recognize the inability to prescribe a specific routine, there's no one solution. That would be too easy of a question :p
    The point about over specialization is an interesting one though, I would have figured that in a relatively controlled environment like this there are certain things that are more useful than others. General life, I certainly agree with you.

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton
    i work out a lot and it hasn't helped. With that being said, I do it for general fitness not shooting sports.

Good Shooters are explosive in their movements. So probably HIIT or Crossfit training would be best. Also, Grip, Grip Grip. The great shooters, the gun doesn't move when they shoot.

Getting into and out of position quickly. Being ready to shoot when you get into position.

jek

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2019
    i work out a lot and it hasn't helped. With that being said, I do it for general fitness not shooting sports.

Good Shooters are explosive in their movements. So probably HIIT or Crossfit training would be best. Also, Grip, Grip Grip. The great shooters, the gun doesn't move when they shoot.

Getting into and out of position quickly. Being ready to shoot when you get into position.

Good notes, the grip thing is something to work on for sure. I read somewhere (so take it with a grain of salt) that at least 90 lbs of crushing grip was about what those great shooters apply.

Good on paper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 18, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Honestly man the best thing you can do during non shooting time is a solid dry fire practice routine. Putting effort into being fit and agile certainly helps but your lowest hanging fruit will be picked with dry fire practice.

peterock

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.2%
    25   1   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    Indianapolis
    For the grip training, do yourself a favor and pick up a few Captains of Crush trainers and follow a program with them. I put time in on the 1.5 and 2 while working(desk) and the difference was amazing.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    There is a super grip strength trainer available specifically for shooters. It's a little pricey, but happens to be shaped just like a gun, and can be used simultaneously with dry-firing...:):

peterock

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.2%
    25   1   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I blew out a shoulder and used kettlebells to help slowly rehab and strengthen my shoulder but noticed that a workout of Goblet squats and Kettlebell swings really helped my ability to move. KB is mostly core strength and helps since most of what we do is rotate, side step, and short sprints.

Top Bottom