Proper competition for new benchrest rifle?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gingerbeardman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Anderson
    Hey everyone, so I picked up a benchrest rifle and threw a scope on top, now I'm curious to know which competition is best for my equipment. I know that's a bit backward but I didn't plan to buy this rifle, it just fell in my lap, you know how it goes.

It's a twelve pound .223 bolt action, but the barrel is only 16". I'm not sure what it was built for originally. I'm not set up to reload at this point. I thought maybe f class, but the gentleman I got the scope from said that's big money. I'm used to shooting steel challenge so I like good clean affordable shooting fun and don't see myself spending big money until the kid's out of the house.

Is there a suitable competition for this, or more specifically, how much does it cost on average to get into benchrest? I know it's not the ideal caliber for distance but I should be ok to 300. If nothing else I'll just see how good I can get with it.

Thanks for any info!

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    I heard they shoot br in Marshall, ILL. but have never been there. A 16 inch barrel on a 12 pound bench is indeed a bit quirky. What twist is your 223?

Gloy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2018
    Milford
    This might do well in red brush's prc as the max is 500 yards, unless you are set on not moving ie bench rest. I know there are .223's that shoot this match. Just a thought.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    If it "just fell in your lap", you probably don't have much money in it. Without reloading, you are unlikely to shoot 1/4 inch groups that are common in Benchrest.. Sounds like it may be just a quirky but fun range rifle. Enjoy it for what it is.

Gingerbeardman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Anderson
    Previous owner said it was 1:9 based on the cleaning rod test. At what range are these quarter inch groups you speak of shot? Is anyone familiar with a particular reason such a gun would have such a short barrel? I sighed it in at 100 yards with some 55 grain and am very impressed with the setup. I bought a variety of heavier bullets to test, and picked up a practical guide to reloading.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Standard distance is 100 yards. "Impressive" groups are in the eye of the shooter. Some people are impressed with one inch, benchresters expect under 1/4 inch measured center to center of the 2 widest shots from 5, five shot groups (25 shots total). Very unusual to have a 16 inch barrel on a Benchrest rifle. Is the weight mostly in a very heavy barrel, like 1.5 inch diameter? Or from a heavy stock, perhaps something with lead added to the forend or buttstock?

Gingerbeardman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Anderson
    It does have a bull barrel, weighs about 12 pounds, has a wooden stock, and the balance point is right in front of the trigger guard if I remember. It has that track under the battery for fancy tripods or grips. It has a jewel trigger that's just fantastic. It's a Winchester 70 action, which I understand in .223 is an older model. It was certainly purpose built but I wonder if it was made for fun or from leftover parts, as proper benchrest guns seem to be 30" barrels and some variation of 6mm.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    So was the stock from a 3 position gun, meant for shooting with a sling and hand stop from sitting, kneeling, or prone position? Does it have a vertical grip or conventional rifle style? Are there any markings on the barrel? Is the barrel factory or aftermarket? What is the barrel diameter at the muzzle?

Gingerbeardman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Anderson
    So was the stock from a 3 position gun, meant for shooting with a sling and hand stop from sitting, kneeling, or prone position? Does it have a vertical grip or conventional rifle style?

There are no sling mounts but it has the rail in the bottom of the forend for mounting hand grips or bipod/tripod. The rear of the stock is adjustable for pull and possibly height, but the comb is not adjustable.

Are there any markings on the barrel? Is the barrel factory or aftermarket? What is the barrel diameter at the muzzle?

No visible barrel markings, it's a bull barrel somewhere in the vicinity of one inch diameter.

If nothing else, maybe someone was building a prairie dog gun!

Top Bottom