• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    oh boy am i in trouble...i've been shooting steel challenge for almost 2 years now, and i decided to try something different, so I started shooting idpa, last Saturday I shot my 3rd match, and I used a button up denim shirt as my cover garment, its an old shirt, with a few holes, but at last Saturdays match (on 2 stages) one of the holes caught on the pocket clip for my knife, luckily I noticed it during loading, and was able to free it before shooting.

but now I need some recommendations from experienced idpa shooters, what do you use?, and where did you buy it?, im shooting a match this Saturday again (2020 postal match), and I know I wont have anything by then, unless I buy another button up shirt.

but what do the other idpa shooters here use? what should I look for? any features I should have?[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif] [/FONT]

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    I wear regular, comfortable clothes, and switched to USPSA. Worked for me.
    :):

that's the OTHER shooting competition I want to try! but the closest uspsa match is an hour away (Owensboro Kentucky)

right now im smack dab between west side sportsmans club (Evansville Indiana) and redbrush rifle range(Newburgh Indiana) literally 1/2 way between both clubs!!!!!!

I live exactly 22 mins away from wssc and 22 mins away from redbrush! (according to google maps!)

so far, the rules are the biggest drawback to idpa!, i'm learning as I go, but when I joined idpa today, I paid an 5 bucks for a hard copy of the rules to be mailed to me! if I shoot this Saturday, and the tears of god don't wash out the match! (2-3 inches of rain are forecast), Saturday will be the 4th idpa match ive shot!, as I told the match idpa director, in steel challenge, i stand in the box, draw and shoot!, I don't have to slice the pie, I don't have to worry about a mag with a bullet hitting the ground, or only loading 9 rounds instead of 10, among all the other rules!

but until I start getting mad at myself for shooting bad, i'll keep shooting idpa (for at least a year, till my membership expires)

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    The rules are the worst part of IDPA. The fact that they are applied unevenly is runner up. The fact that they hide their justification of the rules as “mimicking reality” is next. I could go on for days.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    So, that is the shooting I hear when I'm at my daughters! She lives about 5 minutes from West Side. I may have to check them out sometime when I go visit her and the grand kids.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Shoot everything you can. There are a few of us who play all the games with the understanding that none of them can come close to real world. We do it for the trigger time and the stress of rules in the sport. For IDPA the vest or shirt or even untucked tshirt will work if you realize that the real award in any of the sports is not the particleboard plaque you might win, but the experience of getting one with your equipment. If anyone wants a more street approach but still play the games, he can forego the fancy equipment that you wouldn’t carry on the street. Good luck and welcome to the shooting sports.

Gaffer

Shhhh.......
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2016
    Southern IN
    Walmart vest looks good.. I don't recommend the Target shirts.

61thP8f6ykL._UL1500_.jpg

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    For now anything that covers the gun and doesn't make your butt look big is fine.

If you stay with the sport and get serious about draws and reloads you can copy what the big kids are wearing.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Lots of guys use photographers vests. ( AKA "shoot me first" vests) Check your surplus store.

I need a new one. I use one that is TECHNICALLY illegal because its a mesh trap vest with split sides. If you use your imagination you cant see the gun. But since I dont shoot sanctioned matches nobody cares.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    So, that is the shooting I hear when I'm at my daughters! She lives about 5 minutes from West Side. I may have to check them out sometime when I go visit her and the grand kids.

at west side they shoot idpa(year round), cowboy action and nrl22 (seasonal), plus spot shoots (seasonal), I know that they hold two HUGE matches there every year, the ncows (cowboy) and a big idpa match.

at redbrush they shoot idpa, steel challenge, and a prs match (all year), according to google maps red brush is 40 mins away from wssc, time it right, and you could hit a match on your way into, or out of the area redbrush is 10 mins away from the i69 bypass!

or if you want to get in some trigger time let me know, i'm a member of redbrush, and always love heading to the range!

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    at west side they shoot idpa(year round), cowboy action and nrl22 (seasonal), plus spot shoots (seasonal), I know that they hold two HUGE matches there every year, the ncows (cowboy) and a big idpa match.

at redbrush they shoot idpa, steel challenge, and a prs match (all year), according to google maps red brush is 40 mins away from wssc, time it right, and you could hit a match on your way into, or out of the area redbrush is 10 mins away from the i69 bypass!

or if you want to get in some trigger time let me know, i'm a member of redbrush, and always love heading to the range!

Thanks for the offer! I'll let you know when I could make it.

My brother is an avid IDPA shooter and he and some of his friends came up from TN and shot one of those big IDPA matches. Old Farts Club or something to that affect is their "team". I guess they did pretty good that year.

White Squirrel

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2016
    Evansville

Been a member there for several years. Send a PM next time you are coming to town. I would be glad to give you guided tour and throw a few rounds downrange.

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    Shootersix, what size jacket/shirt do you wear? I have an OD-ish green hiking vest that would work well, if you can fit it. I believe it's an XL. I wore it a few times for work before it became apparent that I was NOT blending in with it. It's just hung in the closet ever since. I pobably spent $30 on it a few years ago, yours for shipping unless you want to drive to Indy. PM me and we can work it out, I can send pics via TX.

Top Bottom