Rimfire Falling Steel at Wildcat Valley!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AppliedB

Marksman
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    It is official, we will be hosting Rimfire Falling Steel matches at Wildcat this year!

For those not familiar with Rimfire Falling Steel (RFS) it is an action shooting sport that uses barricades and shooting areas like USPSA but uses steel knockdown targets and .22LR rimfire only. It is tremendous fun to shoot, it is a great transition for junior shooters going from Steel Challenge to USPSA or IDPA, it is inexpensive (you can shoot it with a Ruger Mark III or a 10/22), and it is fast paced with fast resets between shooters. There is a maximum of 25 targets per stage and we will have five stages per match.

If you're curious about what RFS stages look like here's a video of Aaron at RFS nationals in Chattanooga TN last year: https://www.facebook.com/TeamAppliedBallistics/videos/236864160530876/

We look forward to hosting these matches and hopefully will see you guys out for these matches. They will be held on Sundays after the USPSA matches at Wildcat. Currently scheduled dates for matches are as follows:

April 5th
    May 3rd
    June 7th
    August 2nd
    September 6th
    October 4th

Rimfire Falling Steel info: https://www.rfsteel22lr.com/

Rimfire Falling Steel Rules: https://www.rfsteel22lr.com/rules

Last edited:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    It is official, we will be hosting Rimfire Falling Steel matches at Wildcat this year!

For those not familiar with Rimfire Falling Steel (RFS) it is an action shooting sport that uses barricades and shooting areas like USPSA but uses steel knockdown targets and .22LR rimfire only. It is tremendous fun to shoot, it is a great transition for junior shooters going from Steel Challenge to USPSA or IDPA, it is inexpensive (you can shoot it with a Ruger Mark III or a 10/22), and it is fast paced with fast resets between shooters. There is a maximum of 25 targets per stage and we will have five stages per match.

If you're curious about what RFS stages look like here's a video of Aaron at RFS nationals in Chattanooga TN last year: https://www.facebook.com/TeamAppliedBallistics/videos/236864160530876/

We look forward to hosting these matches and hopefully will see you guys out for these matches. They will be held on Sundays after the USPSA matches at Wildcat. Currently scheduled dates for matches are as follows:

April 5th
    May 3rd
    June 7th
    August 2nd
    September 6th
    October 4th

Boy, if it wasn't such a long drive, I'd check those out. I miss Wildcat from my time living in Lafayette!

AppliedB

Marksman
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Deisel24v, that is the correct set of rules.

All stages are shot from the low ready regardless of division so no holster is required but can be used for a handgun if you prefer.

Magazines are typically on the belt using pouches but per the rules can be carried "anywhere on person".

It is a relatively new series (started in early 2019) but has already grown quite a bit. It's a lot of fun to shoot and you don't need much to get started.

RePete68

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Lowell, IN
    I've always thought USPSA with 22's would be a blast. The two gun division seems cool, making you use both guns if 10 or more targets are on a stage & if less the 10 targets you can pick the one gun you want to shoot. Also this sport nicely compliments the NRL22 program currently offered at Wildcat. Looking forward to shooting a few these matches this year!

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    Aaron,
    Have you defined the starting times yet? I'd love to participate, but am always at church Sunday mornings. It would be awesome to have a 1PM start time so those of us who attend church could also participate!
    --Rick

AppliedB

Marksman
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Aaron,
    Have you defined the starting times yet? I'd love to participate, but am always at church Sunday mornings. It would be awesome to have a 1PM start time so those of us who attend church could also participate!
    --Rick

Yes, the match times are listed on the Wildcat Calendar. Registration opens at 10am and the match begins at 11am.

Sorry, I know that doesn't help much with your situation.

AppliedB

Marksman
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    The matches will be on Practiscore about 7-10 days before the match takes place.

I will post the link in a new thread here when registration is open.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom