• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    CANCELLED DUE TO INCLEMENT WEATHER- MARCH 21 IS FORECAST TO HAVE SUB FREEZING TEMPS IN MORNING. SEE YOU IN APRIL !!!

The 2020 outdoor season is kicking off, we hope the readers here will put this match on their schedules.

Riley Conservation Club will host a .22 Long Range Rifle match on Saturday March 21, weather permitting. This match is a combination of rimfire F-class and NRA silhouette, using swinger metal targets at ranges of 75-240 yards. Main shooting position is prone, but we allow shooters who physically can't fire from prone to use a bench. Targets are scaled to about 2 MOA, so almost any 22 rifle with a 3-9x scope can get in the game and have fun.

Three skill levels. Standard (newbie) class shoots at 75, 110, and 165 yards.
    Master class shoots 110, 165, and 200 yards.
    High Master shoots 110, 200, 240 yards.

Lewis style payback, that means shooters from all skill levels are able to win $$$, even the newbies.

I'm deliberately not going into detail in this first post. I'd rather have interested shooters post questions here about this event or they can pm me with their phone number and I'll call you. This is our 4th season of this game, we have developed the target layout to include both new and experienced shooters, each with challenges geared toward their skill level.

Future matches are 3rd Saturday of each month except September. Wednesday night events will begin when we have enough daylight.

Discussion invited!!!

Last edited:

Dmac22

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 1, 2020
    COLUMBUS
    Glad I found this, I will definitely be joining. Do you have a start time for the 21st? And how long do matches typically take? I’m about 2 hours away so just trying to plan accordingly lol.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Also- do you have to progress through the classes or can you start in the one you feel is best suited for you?

You'll have to start in standard class until you shoot two scores above 48 I think, Hawkeye would have more info. Then you can progress to a different class. Once you qualify for another class, you can shoot both classes but can't use same rifle for both. Only restriction is that you can't shoot "high master" and "standard" in the same match. We usually start around 10.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Also- do you have to progress through the classes or can you start in the one you feel is best suited for you?

This first match will have an 11:00 am start time, and runs 3-4 hours depending on attendance. Registration is 10:00-10:30, then we assign squads and have a safety meeting.

Armchair is correct (mostly). The break point is 2 scores of 45+ to move into Master. Once there, you can shoot either class or both. You can shoot 2 guns anytime you want. You're sort of shooting against yourself if you shoot them both in Standard class, but if it takes two hours to get here, it's worth thinking about.

Two scores of 52+ in Master class will move you into High Master.

This first match will be our "Half & Half" format. Shooters will get a 6 minute period for sighters just prior to their first 20 shots for score. No sighters after that. Each 20 shot string will have a distance change every 5 shots. We have a 5 round limit on mags, some shooters bring 4 mags, others will have 1-3 mags and reload quickly during their string.

When the shooting ends, everyone jumps in to pick up targets while scores get sorted. Then we have a quick recap meeting to announce scores, highlight notable shooting, and give out prize money.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    I saw you mentioned mag changes, would I be seriously handicapped by shooting a lever gun? Thanks!

You would be handicapped. This event is not friendly to lever or other tube fed rifles.

We have a 5 round mag limit. You would have to break position every 5 shots to reload, taking care that your hand does not extend past your muzzle. You would not be able to pull your muzzle back to a comfortable position and still keep the muzzle safely in front of the shooters next to you. A safety DQ will not make for a happy day.

That said, we have shooters that share rifles. If you want to share a rifle with another shooter, we have generous guys here that can probably make that happen. My initial experience in this game was with a borrowed rifle, and have loaned or shared rifles numerous times.

blacknwhite

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 6, 2016
    southwest
    Anyone thinking of coming would be welcome to use my rifle, I've won a time or two with it and usually place well. I adjust my scope for distance, I dont hold over. I'll help all I can.

PM me if interested.

Gingerbeardman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Anderson
    I could practice that approach and see if it'll work. My lever gun has a decent scope but my mag fed gun has an 8 moa dot for steel challenge and I don't really want to swap them. Thanks!

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    CANCELLED DUE TO WEATHER Forecast is for subfreezing temps on Saturday morning, this match has been cancelled.

April events are Wednesday April 8 and Saturday April 18. Format for both days will be "20 Straight"

Top Bottom