Southern Kentucky Gun Club(former Rockcastle)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    A new club is starting at the former Rockcastle range.
    It will be USPSA only and is being run by Micki Petkovic.
    Micki is a great guy and has helped with several major matches in southern Indiana.
    The range is in a beautiful area with some great things to see in the area.
    It is 2 or 3 miles off of 65 and easy to get to.
    Those in Southern Indiana or in Kentucky looking for a match should check it out.
    Here is a email from Micki.

Hello to all fellow shooting sport enthusiasts,It is my pleasure to inform you all that we will start USPSA matches again at Park City (former Rockcastle) range with first match on June 27th and it will be posted on Practiscore under the new gun club name. Same address, same pistol bays.
    Southern Kentucky Gun Club (SKGC) will be hosting USPSA matches on a monthly basis and it will be same as we did in the past on the fourth Saturday of the month. It has been a pleasure shooting these matches with all of you in the past and I am confident that it will be pleasure and enjoyment to shoot these matches in the future with all of you.
    Match will be posted on Practiscore on June 5th and we are planning to set 5 stages with no Classifier stage at this time. I would appreciate if you can register and squad online because there is no access to the Lodge anymore and for those who are not able to sign up for the match online we will still have open registration at pistol bays. Sign up and registration at bays will start at 9:00 AM. You can pay online or at bays on the day of match.
    If any of you will be interested to help with RO'ing please email me and I will reply to you with more details. I am looking for 10-12 people who can run squads as we did in the past. Any help will be highly appreciated.
    Thank you for your support and your dedication to the shooting sport and I am looking forward to see you all on June 27th at Range.
    Thank you and Best Regards,
    Micki

parkerj112

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.8%
    30   1   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Southern Indiana
    Crap, hoping this was closer to me.. 3 hour drive.. For a big 8+ stage or something special I will make the drive, simply can't do it for the club matches. Best of luck guys. And thanks for letting us know about it.

-Parker

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Here is some info.
    The property was sold at auction in several parcels. I don't believe all the parcels sold.
    The motel and pistol bays sold as one parcel.
    I heard that the person/persons that bought the motel and pistol bays did not buy anything else.
    The motel purchasers had no interest or use for the pistol bays.
    Micki is leasing the pistol bays from the motel owners and the motel owners have no doings with the new gun club.
    Micki will be starting from scratch as I heard the steel and other items from the previous shoots disappeared in the transition from owner to owner.
    The other ranges were in other parcels and no one has heard(that I know of) of any intentions to keep them shooting ranges. I'm not even sure they sold.
    I don't know what plans Micki has for the range but for now it is USPSA only.
    He might let IDPA and Steel and maybe GSSF in if someone wants to run them.:dunno:
    NO MORE 3 gun or long range that I have heard. There was some big matches scheduled there this year and if someone(new owners) was going to continue with them I believe they would have put some kind if communication out by now. IMO

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Not currently affiliated, but that is an easy fix, he just needs to have 10 current members sign the club application and cc the section coordinator and send to the office to get set up.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Not currently affiliated, but that is an easy fix, he just needs to have 10 current members sign the club application and cc the section coordinator and send to the office to get set up.

Beyond classifiers, which may not be popular if Micki is limited to 5 bays, what is the advantage of a club getting affiliated?

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Beyond classifiers, which may not be popular if Micki is limited to 5 bays, what is the advantage of a club getting affiliated?

USPSA is among other things a recognized brand that is the largest organized membership based shooting sport with the largest number of affiliated clubs.
    Part of that is the established rule set, safety record, Range Officer training and re-certification programs. An affiliated club gets to use that rule set, trademarked targets, divisions and as well being listed on a website with over 4 million visits per year. Members understand and have an expectation of what a club match will be like based on that established rule set and the 35 year history of USPSA. Through paid partnerships within the industry (Shooting USA and NSSF for example) USPSA is marketed through online, television, video and print to help attract new competitors to these affiliated clubs. In return for being an affiliated club there is an activity fee that helps fund the day to day operations of a 35k member based organization with over 500 USPSA clubs and over 200 Steel Challenge clubs. The membership fees and activity fees also fund the classification data base for both USPSA and Steel Challenge, two websites, two mobile apps, a printed publication, the Range Officer program etc

That is kind of the abbreviated long answer, the short answer is not a lot of people show up for the “Jake’s” made you rules shooting match once a month.

Top Bottom