• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FreeLand

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Sep 8, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Marion County Fish and Game's Bowling Pin Match will be this Saturday, July 25th at 9:00 AM. Setup will begin at 8:15 AM and we would appreciate the help of a few volunteers. The Safety Meeting will be at 8:45 AM to explain the rules. At 9:00 AM, we will begin shooting.

REMINDER! If you are not a member of Marion County Fish and Game, you must arrive by 8:45. The MCF&G board wants the gate closed during the match to prevent trespassers from using other parts of the range. The gate will be open from approximately 8am to 8:45am. If you are a member, your membership card will work as normal to open the gate if you arrive late.

If there is severe weather, the match may need to be canceled. I will try to send an e-mail and post an announcement in the Shooting Sports section of www.ingunowners.com by 7:30 AM if it is obvious the weather isn’t going to cooperate.

The cost is $3 per bracket for club members and $4 per bracket for non-members. All money goes toward the club and/or making the competition better. Youth (under the age of 18) shoot free with a paid adult.

Bowling Pin Shooting is conducted under a COLD RANGE. That means all guns must be holstered (or bagged) at all times, unloaded, hammer down, with no magazine inserted. You may only handle your gun at the direction of a range officer (RO), or at the designated "safe table". Violation of this or any other safety rule shall result in a match disqualification.

If you have any questions about the match, please read the rules posted at: https://indyrange.net/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/pinrules2016.pdf(look under "Programs and Events" > "Bowling Pins") If you are unable to find an answer posted in the rules, please feel free to e-mail me.

Hope you can make it Saturday.

~John

BowlingPinShooting@gmail.com

cmamath13

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Greenwood
    Greetings! Just wanted to share my experience today, as it was my first BPS.

First and foremost, everyone was very nice and helpful. As a newbie, I wasn't sure what to expect (I read rule, etc). I was made to feel welcome and given appropriate advice on procedures.

Secondly, I felt the area was safe. The people running the event made safety a top priority. That was very comforting. One competitor needed to be reminded to zip up his gun rug on multiple occasions. However, range master was professional about it.

3rd: What a fun activity! They allowed me to take a practice run before match. I appreciated that. I think I knocked all the pins down pretty easily. This was not the case for the rest of the morning. Shooting bowling pins 10 yards away isn't as easy as it looks. After a while the pins get deformed and stop rolling off table so easily. This made later matches much more challenging!

I thoroughly enjoyed the matches. I didn't fair so well, but had a great time. My friend ended up doing very well.

I highly recommend trying this event!

As a side note, my WC CQB commander ran like a champ!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

MinuteManMike

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Lawrence, IN
    Were I wasn't being so insomniac lately, I would have done FNS last night AND this today.

Curious: if you've done both, which would you say is harder? Which is more fun? And why?

longbeard

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    United States
    Were I wasn't being so insomniac lately, I would have done FNS last night AND this today.

Curious: if you've done both, which would you say is harder? Which is more fun? And why?

One one is a timed steel shooting of target arrays. The other is a heads up race. They are both fun, but offer a different set of challenges. I wouldn't compare them. Just come out and find out yourself :):

I would say that if you are not yet at a level where you can clear a plate rack in under 30 seconds at 10 yards, you may find pins challenging.

FreeLand

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Sep 8, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Greetings! Just wanted to share my experience today, as it was my first BPS.

First and foremost, everyone was very nice and helpful. As a newbie, I wasn't sure what to expect (I read rule, etc). I was made to feel welcome and given appropriate advice on procedures.

Secondly, I felt the area was safe. The people running the event made safety a top priority. That was very comforting. One competitor needed to be reminded to zip up his gun rug on multiple occasions. However, range master was professional about it.

3rd: What a fun activity! They allowed me to take a practice run before match. I appreciated that. I think I knocked all the pins down pretty easily. This was not the case for the rest of the morning. Shooting bowling pins 10 yards away isn't as easy as it looks. After a while the pins get deformed and stop rolling off table so easily. This made later matches much more challenging!

I thoroughly enjoyed the matches. I didn't fair so well, but had a great time. My friend ended up doing very well.

I highly recommend trying this event!

Thank you for the kind words and glad you had a good time!

FreeLand

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Sep 8, 2009
    Indianapolis

Here's why I think Bowling Pins are so much fun. Hitting a bowling pin at 10 yards is hard, but not impossible. Unlike Friday Night Steel where you are racing the clock, with Bowling Pins you're racing another person. That adds some pressure, but it also means you can have a "bad" run but still "win" if you have a better run than your opponent. In fact, in the finals for one bracket this month both shooters were deep into their second magazine or maybe their third before someone finally got the last pin off the table. It was ugly, but exciting! Finally, the pins are the X Factor. If you don't hit them just right, they can do all sorts of funny things. For example it sometimes happens that a pin will fall over, spin and come to rest with the top facing the shooter. Try hitting something smaller than the top of a pop can at 10 yards! Another thing that messes with your mind is when you graze the first pin and it falls to the side and knocks over the other four pins before you've taken your second shot. I laugh more at a Bowling Pin match than any other type of competition I shoot.

Top Bottom