Tim's Action Pistol 8/06/2020 (Westfield)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • S8MS-01904

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    A Carmel Roundabout
    August Low Light Event!!!

This is the low light event you have been waiting for.......

Lights can be hand held, head/hat mounted or weapon mounted.
    Low ready start can be used if no holster fits weapon with light.

Look forward to 6 fun, challenging stages!

A low key environment open to new shooters, anyone who is interested in shooting a match but hasn’t yet, come on out!

New shooter brief starts at 6, returning shooters at 6:15, with first shots at 6:30. $20

Indoor Action Pistol Competition is a great way to hone handgun shooting skills in a safe and fun environment. Action Pistol involves many of the skills defensive shooters value including drawing from a holster, shooting and reloading on the move, and shooting from behind cover. Because of the dynamic nature of the sport, safety is the highest priority. It is required that shooters be proficient in the fundamentals of firearm safety, especially muzzle control and trigger discipline.

Action Pistol is a sport enjoyed by shooters worldwide, men and women, junior shooters and senior shooters. With a commitment to safety and a little bit of effort, anyone can begin shooting Action Pistol. Cold range rules.

Matches are held on the first and third Thursday of each month.

Gear:

- Firearm and Holster
    - 3 Magazines
    - Eye and hearing protection
    - Shoes with no open toes and good traction
    - Double magazine carrier recommended

Match Director: Mark Teter

17777 Commerce Drive
    Westfield, United States (US) — Indiana 460749

Preregistration (recommended) / Practiscore link: https://practiscore.com/tim-s-action-pistol-tsa-8-06-2020/register

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    Bump

There are still plenty of open slots. Preregistration (recommended) / Practiscore link: https://practiscore.com/tim-s-action...-2020/register

The low light match is a great way to find out if your low light / dark plans and gear are up to the task or not. It is an eye opening and challenging environment which quickly strips away what you THINK works, and shows you what ACTUALLY works. Regardless of skill or equipment level, you will learn something and gain useful insight to your performance, and how your gear works.

CZ evo3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 17, 2017
    Carrollton
    Really glad I made it up to Westfield to shoot this match. Getting to test my low-light shooting in a competitive environment was an eye opening experience. Especially pertaining to how smoke being backlit by your flashlight can really ruin your sight picture. Great group of guys in my squad too.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    Really glad I made it up to Westfield to shoot this match. Getting to test my low-light shooting in a competitive environment was an eye opening experience. Especially pertaining to how smoke being backlit by your flashlight can really ruin your sight picture. Great group of guys in my squad too.

Match was an absolute ball! Like you CZ evo3, I learned last year about the reflection from gunsmoke and modified some of my practices. This year I used the match primarily to see how far I could go with just the tritium in the night sights.

CZ evo3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 17, 2017
    Carrollton
    Match was an absolute ball! Like you CZ evo3, I learned last year about the reflection from gunsmoke and modified some of my practices. This year I used the match primarily to see how far I could go with just the tritium in the night sights.

What modifications did you make to deal with the smoke? Did they work out like you had planned?

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    To the maximum extent possible I relied upon the Mk 1 eyeballs and tritium night sights. If I could make out the non-threats I didn't use a light. Yes my score almost certainly dropped, but scoring well is not my reason for being there.

Where I couldn't rely upon the night sights, I used a handheld flashlight and tried to not put the beam directly where I was going to shoot. For next time however; I now recognize I need to get a weapon light. There are times and places where that tool needs to be in the box.

Keep in mind, you scored WELL north of me...

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Darn it! Those procedurals from accidentally stepping in front of the line cost me 4th. Oh well, learned that my HD handgun set up is GTG , as well as confirmed my opinions on advantages VS disadvantages of a weapon mounted light or handheld light.

CZ evo3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 17, 2017
    Carrollton
    To the maximum extent possible I relied upon the Mk 1 eyeballs and tritium night sights. If I could make out the non-threats I didn't use a light. Yes my score almost certainly dropped, but scoring well is not my reason for being there.

Where I couldn't rely upon the night sights, I used a handheld flashlight and tried to not put the beam directly where I was going to shoot. For next time however; I now recognize I need to get a weapon light. There are times and places where that tool needs to be in the box.

Keep in mind, you scored WELL north of me...

My light completely drown out my night sights, and I didn't expect that to happen. I would have rather shot this with my surefire stiletto (my EDC) light, but i chose a weapon mounted light for safety because I have never practiced shooting with a handheld light. I shot my carry gun rather than one of my competition pistols because I really wanted to see how my gear would actually work.

I felt like a mess while struggling to find good sight pictures throughout the match.

CZ evo3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 17, 2017
    Carrollton
    Darn it! Those procedurals from accidentally stepping in front of the line cost me 4th. Oh well, learned that my HD handgun set up is GTG , as well as confirmed my opinions on advantages VS disadvantages of a weapon mounted light or handheld light.

So which do you prefer? Mounted or handheld?

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    So which do you prefer? Mounted or handheld?

Mounted for actual use scenarios, back up handheld for when you don't want to flag everything. Or at least that was my take away.

Also will not be at the Atlanta shoot tommorow, family obligations.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    CZ evo3, I had a really nice response written last night on the phone, then it died. I'll try again.

I experienced the same thing last year (gun smoke reflection), which is what drove me to change my approach from last year. The effect of the gun smoke is something you can't recreate with dry fire at home, and the reflection really caught me off guard.

Historically, because I believe my greatest risk is the "crash in the night" not being a threat but rather one of the mostly grown children or their friends, I have approached home defense from a position where I will accept more risk to myself than endanger a suspected intruder. For this reason I have shied away from a weapon mounted light, as I did not want my initial identification to include muzzling a potential non-threat.

This year I concentrated on using a handheld only where threat shot placement could not be made without a light source. My approach was for those targets which were identifiable without a light that the stage walk through was my intruder identification. (e.g. if it had been at home I would have used available light or my hand held to ID the threat, then transitioned to the tritium sights with a two hand hold) For my application I used the handheld with a strong hand only grip bracing with my support hand across my wrist and angling the light down. I did not notice the gun smoke glare as badly with this technique.

Relative to my goals for Thursday, I didn't do too badly. I was able to shoot effectively using just the night sights, even to a lower light level than I had practiced in the garage with the lights out but ambient light through a small door.

I do have two actionable take a ways however which require gear reassessment. First, my bedroom tac light is going to need replaced. I find I can't bend my support hand thumb enough to reliably activate the tail cap switch (ugh, sucks getting older). Second, I NEED a weapon mounted light IN ADDITION to a handheld.

My planning is transitioning to using the handheld only for positive threat ID, and dropping it and going to a weapon light once a ballistic response is necessary.

Top Bottom