• ...and so much more!
  • Fuzz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    LaFONTAINE
    Any pointers for a first timer?
    You will get many people wanting to give you free advice on here.

It would be best if you gave them more detail about what you are wanting pointers on? USPSA? IDPA? SC? ICORE? 3GUN? 2Gun? Equipment? Guns? Breakfast? SEX? Our minds are wondering.

CZ evo3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 17, 2017
    Carrollton
    You will get many people wanting to give you free advice on here.

It would be best if you gave them more detail about what you are wanting pointers on? USPSA? IDPA? SC? ICORE? 3GUN? 2Gun? Equipment? Guns? Breakfast? SEX? Our minds are wondering.

Advice on the D2G matches at ACC. Any advice for a first time shooter in this sport. Equipment, distances to be expected, etc.

Fuzz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    LaFONTAINE
    Advice on the D2G matches at ACC. Any advice for a first time shooter in this sport. Equipment, distances to be expected, etc.

1, It is a Cold Range. Do not show up with a loaded weapon on you.

2, Tell the Match Director you are new when you first arrive.

3, You are not going to win so:
    A, Be careful. take your time and remember safety first.
    B, Take your time and get your hits.
    C, Ask Questions.
    D, ENJOY THE MATCH.

4, Rifle with 3 mags

5, Handgun with 3 mags

6, 200 rds ammo per gun. (probably double what you will use)

7, Sun screen and such items, Water, Snacks

8, A buggy or wagon is helpful.

9, Do not try to keep up with other shooters. go at your speed safely. Speed will come in time

gopurdue02

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 2, 2011

C, Ask Questions.
    D, ENJOY THE MATCH.

4, Rifle with 3 mags

5, Handgun with 3 mags

9, Do not try to keep up with other shooters. go at your speed safely. Speed will come in time

Weapon will need a sling on it. The stages involve transitions from rifle to pistol or vice versa so the weapon will need to stay on you. Open bolt indicators are another must-have item.

Fuzz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    LaFONTAINE
    This was copy and pasted from the ACC website.

D2G is a new competitive shooting sport that consists of a competitor using a slung carbine and holstered pistol to navigate courses of fire following simple "rules of engagement". It is similar to IDPA in some respects, but more streamlined in its approach.
    You will need the following equipment to compete:
    • Modern rifle with sling that allows the rifle to hang down safely in front of the shooter
    • Rifle chamber flags are required (for sale at the event)
    • Rifle mag carrier/carriers are recommended
    • IDPA Legal pistol with holster and mag carriers (lights/lasers ok)
    • 3 magazines minimum for each weapon
    • 75 rounds pistol ammo (approx - bring double)
    • 75 rounds rifle ammo (approx - bring double)
    • Eye/Ear protection
    • Base match fee $25 with discount for staff and ACC members

FreeLand

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Sep 8, 2009
    Indianapolis

C, Ask Questions.
    D, ENJOY THE MATCH.

4, Rifle with 3 mags

5, Handgun with 3 mags

I have shot 2-gun with CZ evo3 on several occasions at TSA matches in Batesville. He is not a newbie. To be fair, he didn't make that clear and your advice is spot on for someone coming to their first competition or first match involving multiple weapons. I was hoping that this thread would elicit advice to help him (and me) understand how the match at ACC may be different to other 2-gun competitions.

For example if someone posted that they were coming to a TSA match for the first time and wanted to know what to expect, I'd mention the following:

- There is always a "skills" stage similar to a USPSA match. Be prepared to shoot strong hand and weak hand only. You may need to shoot your rifle from your weak side. That may require figuring out how to make that work if you aren't used to using a sling for this type of shooting.

- The TSA match director is fond of making people start a stage with their mags and weapons on a table and you must stow your mags and load you weapon on the clock. This really sucks for people not running kydex mag pouches. Just dropping your mags in a dump pouch might be faster than trying to stuff them into fabric mag pouches.

- You may need to shoot prone. However, we've always started in the prone position, so people with mobility concerns can take their time getting into position and sorting out issues. You may want to have something shorter than a 30 round magazine.

- You will always have rifle shots of at least 50 yards and sometimes as far as 80 yards. You may need to place one in the head at those distances so variable power scopes or magnifiers for red dots are beneficial.

- Even on the stage with long rifle shots, you will also be engaging targets at 10 yards or less with your rifle. So a throw lever on your scope might save you a second or two.

CZ evo3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 17, 2017
    Carrollton
    Freeland is one save away from being on payroll as my official spokesperson. He was correct in all aspects of his post. I should have specified that I am an experienced (but mediocre) competetive shooter, and was just trying to figure out the finer details of what separates D2G from other sports I have shot in

Fuzz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    LaFONTAINE
    I have shot 2-gun with CZ evo3 on several occasions at TSA matches in Batesville. He is not a newbie. To be fair, he didn't make that clear and your advice is spot on for someone coming to their first competition or first match involving multiple weapons. I was hoping that this thread would elicit advice to help him (and me) understand how the match at ACC may be different to other 2-gun competitions.

For example if someone posted that they were coming to a TSA match for the first time and wanted to know what to expect, I'd mention the following:

- There is always a "skills" stage similar to a USPSA match. Be prepared to shoot strong hand and weak hand only. You may need to shoot your rifle from your weak side. That may require figuring out how to make that work if you aren't used to using a sling for this type of shooting.

- The TSA match director is fond of making people start a stage with their mags and weapons on a table and you must stow your mags and load you weapon on the clock. This really sucks for people not running kydex mag pouches. Just dropping your mags in a dump pouch might be faster than trying to stuff them into fabric mag pouches.

- You may need to shoot prone. However, we've always started in the prone position, so people with mobility concerns can take their time getting into position and sorting out issues. You may want to have something shorter than a 30 round magazine.

- You will always have rifle shots of at least 50 yards and sometimes as far as 80 yards. You may need to place one in the head at those distances so variable power scopes or magnifiers for red dots are beneficial.

- Even on the stage with long rifle shots, you will also be engaging targets at 10 yards or less with your rifle. So a throw lever on your scope might save you a second or two.
    Well Freeland to tell the truth I have never shot one of his matches. I am this one but I was just trying to get him some info.

Top Bottom