• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    All,

A trend we have been seeing here in central Indiana is a sharp reduction in competitive shooting sports attendance across the board. As a match director I'm trying to understand what is driving this? Is it COVID concerns? Ammo shortage?Match fees? Lack of interest? Etc.

I would be interested in hearing individual stories on this.

Thanks

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Probably also the lack of walk-on ability is impacting it. Since you and others are requiring non refundable prepayments, there will be some that just wont show because they arent sure they can make it and arent willing to commit and lose the money if they cant make it.

This isnt a bad thing. I've actually enjoyed not being at the match until 3 (or later) because the squads were huge.

The downside is the smaller squads means less pasters. I lost track of how many times I had to yell for others to paste during the last match because I was one of the only ones actually pasting.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    Covid concern ( were I shoot, many of the best competitors are in the most vulnerable she bracket), followed by ammo. The match director were I normally shoot is trying to control round count for this reason.

Finally, even if your still employed, you likely know what is coming and may well be already limiting expenses.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Main topic of discussion at matches lately is lack of ammo and loading supplies.
    Heard many say they are slowing down with practice and will have to slow down shooting matches if this lasts very long.
    :dunno:

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Main topic of discussion at matches lately is lack of ammo and loading supplies.
    Heard many say they are slowing down with practice and will have to slow down shooting matches if this lasts very long.
    :dunno:

I dont do matches, but I would guess its probably more the uncertainty in getting more ammo or reloading supplies, like you stated. I know its slowed down my range trips. I have adequate supply of both ammo and reloading components, but the uncertainty of being able to replace those has me shooting less

Rio

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2017
    SE Indiana
    Lack of ammo is my guess. Everyone I know has talked about ammo/availability recently. I bought quite a bit early and with all the cancelled matches in the spring I am just starting to run low on 9mm. I broke my reloaded out for the first time in several years.
    uncertainty doesn’t help. Lest face it anyone saying they know what the political climate will be next week is guessing. Who knows what social issue will come up next.

cmann250

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 2, 2018
    Land of 300bu corn
    My match attendance is down this year due to corona and lack of time. The March, April, and May matches were all cancelled due to corona. Through the summer, my full and part time jobs (both ag) are demanding more of my time.

Judging by ammo consumption, I’m shooting 1/6 as much as last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CZ evo3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 17, 2017
    Carrollton
    Ammo shortage is especially hurting the newer shooters that I invite to shoot matches with me. It has become clear to me that I cannot continue to shoot a match every weekend for much longer. No primers, and no ammo on the shelves.

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    I have ammo, I have reloading components. I give no ****s about the virus, matches take place outside, in the fresh air.
    The problem I have is that I'm working.....every ...... damn.....day, and I have been since March.
    When the crazy slows down at work I will be shooting.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    i have to 2nd the pre registration issue, even before covid I started going to less and less matches , my schedule is sometimes fluid . so i might not be able to know more than 12 hrs in advance if I can get out to a club.
    places that don't allow "walk up" are less likely to get my attendance.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I haven't been shooting matches as I have been doing a major home reno for the past 5 years which wrapped up this summer. My plan was to spend time at the range to get a little more proficient at shooting before attempting a competition.

But then the shortage hit. So now, my practices are short with minimal rounds downrange. I go with a specific drill or two, do these and then go home.

So for me it would be:

1. lack of skill
    2. Ammunition scarcity and prices
    3. Number of rounds needed for a match
    4. Time commitment-Though I am basically done with the major stuff, I still have the everyday chores to maintain and spending 50% of my weekend at a range is not palatable for me right now.

longbeard

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    United States
    Speaking as a regular competitor and "bulk shooter"... Although I am well stocked, the inability to replace supplies has taken the wind out my sails. I would normally go to the range quite a bit and try to make improvements, but lately I go much less and my focus is beginning to shift to other things. I have little interest in doing things that I can't completely immerse in.

I plan to keep shooting for a while yet because I feel like outdoors is a good, safe escape from "the rona". It feels like it was March yesterday. Which means tomorrow it's going to be November and time to hibernate.... or hide in a bunker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    Thank you everyone for the feed-back and kinda dovetails with what I was expecting. However, i have to be bluntly honest about it the pre-registration may be hear to stay. It took some work to setup but now that practicescore is tied in with a payment processor and the money goes straight to the club and I don't have to deal with money anymore is a huge time-saver for me. It also cuts down on registration and the last match we did we were actually shooting by 10 vs 10:30 because I was still signing in folks.

I understand completely why this is a turn-off to folks: I get it. However, it's a huge time saver for me so there is that too.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    The last 2 local matches I attended had high turnout. There seemed to be a pent up demand to get out and shoot.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Thank you everyone for the feed-back and kinda dovetails with what I was expecting. However, i have to be bluntly honest about it the pre-registration may be hear to stay. It took some work to setup but now that practicescore is tied in with a payment processor and the money goes straight to the club and I don't have to deal with money anymore is a huge time-saver for me. It also cuts down on registration and the last match we did we were actually shooting by 10 vs 10:30 because I was still signing in folks.

I understand completely why this is a turn-off to folks: I get it. However, it's a huge time saver for me so there is that too.

I'm not a fan of prepaying with no refunds, but by all means I say keep doing it. I too think the pros outweigh the cons. I really like how it helps the overall match flow.

I wish you could withdraw and PS keeps your $$ as a credit that can be applied to the next match. And its doable as long as PS waits and batches the club's payment when the registration closes. They just send over the $$ of the shooters that didnt withdraw and keep the funds of those who did until they register for the next match. But I wont hold my breath for that feature.

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton
    Pre registration does suck but none of the local matches i attend "require" it or take pre-payment. Some do request that you do pre-register but ive shown up day of match and shot. (There was a few matches post-covid that did limit attendance due to the social distancing mandates and required it to control size attending. After two matches that $#!+ was thrown out the window) Major matches do require it but that only makes since. If pre-payment becomes a thing, I probably will move onto something else.

Having attended a few matches in Wisconsin and Michigan recently, the main complaints were availability of ammo and or components. Not too many were concerned about the 'rona.'

Edit to above. The indoor matches do because of "slots" available. I apologize for that. So yes, I do pre pay for carry gun and uspsa that are held inside to ensure my "slot." Though, sometimes I can't attend and will my "slot" to someone.

Top Bottom