• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • n9znd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Lafayette
    This may be a silly question! Do they have a class for the guys that has a small Carry gun, Like a LCP, Keltec,Subnose,Etc. that wants to compete in shooting Steel plates or action style shooting? I read somewhere there was someone that entered a shooting comp called E-postal with a Jennings J22 and had a blast. What a good way to get good with your everyday carry gun. Jim

smitty12b

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    I know that in IDPA they have side BUG(back up gun) matches but I don't know about a complete match with a small cal carry. In steel the problem is velocity, if the bullet isn't going fast enough it won't splatter and that can be a bad thing.

Welcome to INGO, great first post.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    This may be a silly question! Do they have a class for the guys that has a small Carry gun, Like a LCP, Keltec,Subnose,Etc. that wants to compete in shooting Steel plates or action style shooting? I read somewhere there was someone that entered a shooting comp called E-postal with a Jennings J22 and had a blast. What a good way to get good with your everyday carry gun. Jim

It depends on the specific shooting sport. In general, "class" refers to ability level. "Division" is usually used for different equipment rules.

In USPSA, regardless of division, the minimum caliber for self-loaders is 9x19mm (aka 9mm Parabellum aka 9mm Luger aka 9mm). For revolvers, it's .38 special. You can find the rules for USPSA at United States Practical Shooting Association.

In IDPA, each division has a caliber minium. For Stock Service Pistol and Enhanced Service Pistol, it's 9x19mm. For Custom Defensive Pistol it's .45ACP. For Stock Service and Enhanced Service Revolver, it's .38 special.

As noted above, IDPA rules also have the provision for "BUG" (back-up gun) matches. You can find the rules at International Defensive Pistol Association to verify that calibers below 9x19mm are allowed. I do believe that it's centerfire only, though.

The sports where .22LR is allowed are the steel shooting sports (like Steel Challenge), NRA Action Pistol, and some bowling pin matches. I've never heard of anyone using a Jennings .22LR for a steel match, but I suppose it would be possible.

Ultimately, unless a match is governed by specific rules such as USPSA or IDPA, you'll have to ask the match director. There are too many action and practical shooting sports and various "outlaw" spinoffs to answer such a general question.

Top Bottom