• ...and so much more!
  • wag1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I tried this last winter with a shotgun and didn't have much luck:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K9f-8xmWZw]YouTube - Benelli Top Guns Episode 3: Downsizing[/ame]

I used a 12 gauge and tried both birdshot and buckshot. The buckshot tore the hell out of the bottom can and only launched the top can about 12 inches up. With the next set of cans, Birdshot didn't destroy the bottom can but apparently did not have enough force to lift the top can.

Could it be I need to use more rigid paint cans? I think I had aluminum 1 gallon cans with the bottom can totally filled and the top filled halfway. Should I use a slug for the first shot?

Anyone have any ideas on how to get this to work? I emailed Tom Knapp but never did get a response.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    no the shotgun worked too..... showed it in the video... i would try a slug followed by shot from your shotgun.... also i dont think the top can had ANY water it it at all... did i read correctly that you had your top can half full?

Clif45

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Lake Station
    In the first shot, he used gallons, in the rest of them, he uses quart cans.

Dont mind me, I watched without sound. Guess that explains alot huh...

Last edited:

hc4sar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2009
    cent IN.
    COMPLETELY FILL THE BOTTOM CAN LEAVE NO-NO AIR BETWEEN THEM. LOOK HOW CLOSE HE IS TO THE CANS ALSO. PATTERN SPREAD= HYDROLIC FORCE.TRY TO HIT THE LOWER CAN IN THE LOWER 1/4 OR SO. PRACTICE YOUR POINT OF IMPACT ON A BOX THEIR CHEAPER THAN CANS FOR A FACT. GOOD LUCK.
    :ingo:

wag1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2008
    Indianapolis
    COMPLETELY FILL THE BOTTOM CAN LEAVE NO-NO AIR BETWEEN THEM. LOOK HOW CLOSE HE IS TO THE CANS ALSO. PATTERN SPREAD= HYDROLIC FORCE.TRY TO HIT THE LOWER CAN IN THE LOWER 1/4 OR SO. PRACTICE YOUR POINT OF IMPACT ON A BOX THEIR CHEAPER THAN CANS FOR A FACT. GOOD LUCK.
    :ingo:

I will try with the top can empty and seal the water between the cans. I would think a slug would be overkill, but I am really not sure what the initial shot was.

Thanks fellas - we'll give that a go in the near future. Maybe someone else has tried this before.

wag1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2008
    Indianapolis
    no the shotgun worked too..... showed it in the video... i would try a slug followed by shot from your shotgun.... also i dont think the top can had ANY water it it at all... did i read correctly that you had your top can half full?

Yes, as I recall the top can was about half full.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Back in the early 80's I use to do a similar shot but using my 22-250 and hollow points. Notice after he shoots the gallon can only the bottom is left on the ground. I use to get the same result when i did my shot right.

With the 2 cans set up like they are you are in essence blowing the lid off the bottom can. The lid/top can is the weak point so the water follows the path of least resistance and blows the top off as it blows the bottom off too.

I would shoot it low with a slug for the first shot. That or a second shooter shoots the bottom can for you with a high velocity HP round.

chizzle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I tried this last winter with a shotgun and didn't have much luck:

YouTube - Benelli Top Guns Episode 3: Downsizing

I used a 12 gauge and tried both birdshot and buckshot. The buckshot tore the hell out of the bottom can and only launched the top can about 12 inches up. With the next set of cans, Birdshot didn't destroy the bottom can but apparently did not have enough force to lift the top can.

Could it be I need to use more rigid paint cans? I think I had aluminum 1 gallon cans with the bottom can totally filled and the top filled halfway. Should I use a slug for the first shot?

Anyone have any ideas on how to get this to work? I emailed Tom Knapp but never did get a response.

I'm wondering if it would work better if you filled the bottom can full of water, and then hammered the original lid back on... I'm also curious if you could pressurize it somehow (sort of like vinegar and baking soda) how much higher you could make it shoot...

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I'm wondering if it would work better if you filled the bottom can full of water, and then hammered the original lid back on... I'm also curious if you could pressurize it somehow (sort of like vinegar and baking soda) how much higher you could make it shoot...
    What the world needs is more science. Pay attention here people because this guy is a genius.

So what we need is a way to get pepsi and mentos in the can without breaking the seal. :D Efferdent or alka seltzer might do the trick.

Reseal the lid but make sure it will blow off before the bottom will when shot and put a smaller can on top of it, like a quart can or soda can.

In the near future FNS Mousetrap shoot. Get the Mousetrap bar to sponsor it.

Top Bottom