• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    From what I have seen, some people will post their ad here, on Armslist, 3 or 4 of the FB groups. Then once they get a buyer, they just ignore all of their ads left out there. Pretty inconsiderate but they don't seem to care.

And they do take care of the house keeping as in "CLOSING" the ads............:xmad:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    There was a guy that had posted several things in the classifieds but wouldn't respond to questions about the gun. I posted in the ad PM sent and within a few minutes I got a PM from a member saying that he had been trying to get in touch with him also, without any success.

I think I even saw a post in someone's ad saying this person will not answer PM's. Not sure if he got an infraction but it was helpful for me to know not to mess with the guy. Is there a reasonable time that it's ok to post in the Ad that they guy isn't answering PM's? Not to bash the guy but to let others know it's not just them.

Please do not post in the ads beyond simple questions about the gun. PM box full is cool.
    Bumping the ad with off topic can get you an infraction.....JFYI.......:)
    Believe it or not some do not know about or know how to use the PM system............

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    I disagree with this assessment.

If we are worried about who is in the classifieds, we should be pointing the finger at someone for not replying to an inquiry, not pointing the finger at someone because they don't have many posts. He's met the 50-post requirement.

If someone doesn't want to deal with him, at least a brief response is appropriate.

I don't know that I agree with asking the mods to handle it, but I think that if there is going to be a policy, it should include the expectation that you either respond or close your ad.

:+1:

wally05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    I usually respond to any reasonable PM inquiries and or offers to buy. The key word there is "reasonable"

Same here... I love getting offers at 50% of my asking price over and over from the same person... I really don't see the issue. If they don't respond, then move on.

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    Same here... I love getting offers at 50% of my asking price over and over from the same person... I really don't see the issue. If they don't respond, then move on.

It's called communication. It may be an inappropriate offer to you, but what's wrong with simply saying no? Or That's not an offer I would consider? At least the person knows you acknowledge their offer.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    It's called communication. It may be an inappropriate offer to you, but what's wrong with simply saying no? Or That's not an offer I would consider? At least the person knows you acknowledge their offer.

That's how I look at it, if someone buys something and it sits for a year o two in the darkness of a safe. and when moneys gets tight or its not going to be used they decide to sell it. The best part is when that want 90% or more of retail. first of all it isn't new, its might not have been used but its not new. It just continually gets bumped.
    When someone gives a honest offer of 50 to 70% of a new one in most cases I believe that's fair. if its sold to a gun or pawn shop they would be lucky to get 50%.
    who would pay 700 bucks for a supposed new barrel when you can knowingly get the same new barrel from the manufacture for 775.00 and if there's a problem with it you have recourse with the manufacture.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    That's how I look at it, if someone buys something and it sits for a year o two in the darkness of a safe. and when moneys gets tight or its not going to be used they decide to sell it. The best part is when that want 90% or more of retail. first of all it isn't new, its might not have been used but its not new. It just continually gets bumped.
    When someone gives a honest offer of 50 to 70% of a new one in most cases I believe that's fair. if its sold to a gun or pawn shop they would be lucky to get 50%.
    who would pay 700 bucks for a supposed new barrel when you can knowingly get the same new barrel from the manufacture for 775.00 and if there's a problem with it you have recourse with the manufacture.

Or the guys who bought at their local equivalent of Don's Guns and are selling for 75% of what they paid for it...which is still 10% over what most places retail it for new... There's been several times when I've seen used guns in the classifieds that were more than new guns via various online stores.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I've had nothing but positive dealings on Ingo.
    I've had a couple of people go out of their way to make sure the transaction was acceptable to both parties.
    I also have a perfect feedback on the itrader system.

That said, I had my first negative response just recently.
    Someone had an ad up asking for sale/trade.
    I made a trade offer, and the seller responded asking for more detail on my offer. Before I read his inquiry I became temporarily indisposed and was unable to respond to his question in what he considered a timely fashion.
    I was derided via email for not responding fast enough. He even went so far as to tell me he knew I was active on the forum in the interim.

I don't know about everyone else, but I just simply don't have time in my life for this type of pettiness.
    I have a life away from the interwebz and things are constantly in flux.
    Some days I might spend all day at home doing nothing. Other days I've worked 16 hours plus.

Every now and again I'll get a phone call that is an emergency call (work related) and I have to change my plans accordingly.
    Once in a great while I will walk out of the door and fail to log off of Ingo, or Ruger forums, or Guboards...and I don't realize it until I get back home to my computer.
    Just because someone is logged-on, it doesn't necessarily mean they are "active" on the forum.

Like I said, I've had mostly positive experiences here.
    The one negative will not detract me from considering offerings from other members, but I won't deal with said individual.
    I have better ways to waste my time.

:ranton:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    would not care to see this response , BUT it is still a Response .

That has only been used a few times with known flippers. They cruise the classifieds looking for fast resale pieces and offer stupid money for them.
    If I get what would be considered by most to be in the range of acceptable but at the bottom I will decline gracefully.
    I always post at fair prices. If I put up a gun for sale it is, "For Sale" and not for show. To low ball an already more than fair deal is to me a serious push so my guy comes out.....:rofl: or this guy....:lmfao:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Bumping the ad with off topic can get you an infraction.....JFYI.......:)

Tell me about it! I have a permanent blemish on my INGO record.:)

I have thought about posting on a classified to get an updated infraction to keep them fresh but I want to be a mod someday so I'm trying to stay clean.:):

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    That has only been used a few times with known flippers. They cruise the classifieds looking for fast resale pieces and offer stupid money for them.
    If I get what would be considered by most to be in the range of acceptable but at the bottom I will decline gracefully.
    I always post at fair prices. If I put up a gun for sale it is, "For Sale" and not for show. To low ball an already more than fair deal is to me a serious push so my guy comes out.....:rofl: or this guy....:lmfao:

I don't think I have ever lowballed anyone, but I will always offer less than asked. I always assume the seller has priced it for at least a little bit more than he is willing to take.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I don't think I have ever lowballed anyone, but I will always offer less than asked. I always assume the seller has priced it for at least a little bit more than he is willing to take.

FYI- You can make that assumption, but not everyone intends to dicker.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    FYI- You can make that assumption, but not everyone intends to dicker.
    And that is fine. I don't feel like I have to knock them down to be happy buying something. I always ask for a bit more than I really want, because there are some guys that simply have to feel like they beat you down before they will buy something.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States

I agree, but it doesn't matter if they want 10% of retail value or twice retail value or if the offer sucks or not.

If you send someone a message and you get no reply, you have no idea whether they did not receive the message, whether they just got hit by a car yesterday, whether they are rejecting your offer but also rejecting the simply form of communication such as "no thank you".

If people are doing their part to reply and you haven't heard back in a timely manner (1 or 2 days maybe) then you could send another message or assume they are justly indisposed, not have to guess as to whether or not they intentionally chose not to reply.

wally05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    I don't know... I don't really understand the complaint here. If you don't get a response, then move on. I give people a day or two to respond and just assume that they don't want to sell it. Not everything in the world is fair. If you miss out on another deal b/c you were waiting on a response to your first one, sorry that is part of the risk.

Top Bottom