Mar 14, 2013
    Earth

Archer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Out of all of the choices on your list, OP, Spikes is the only one I can recommend. None of the other manufacturers are consistent in their QC. Overtorqued barrel nuts, gas ports ranging in size, BCGs not properly staked. These things are actually important, and you should continue to seek out further information and knowledge to understand why they are important.

knutty

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 5, 2016
    Noblesville
    Colt 6720 or 6920. 6720 has a lightweight barrel and is a very light and handy carbine. 6920 has the M4 profile which alot of folks hate but doesn't bother me any. Both can be had for around $800 and will last a lifetime and retain value/collectibility. 8-10 years ago, the 6920 was selling for around $1200 and up to $1800 or even higher during the panics. Point being, now is the time to buy.

That is a pretty amazing deal on that Sionics kit if you are comfortable assembling your own lower receiver.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    If you can get a LWRC for $1000... Then buy 2 or 3 of them.

As for optics: That deserves its own thread. Seriously.

Same questions, though: Budget and intended use. You can spend $500+ on an unmagnified high quality red dot... Or $175 on a "as cheap as I'd go and still really really trust it" red dot.

Or you can spend $250 on a variable power "zoom" scope for 200-500 yards... Or you can spend $5000 on a scope for the same thing. Or you can spend $300 on a 1-4 power scope for 0-200 yds... Or you can spend $5000 on a scope for the same thing.

Whatever you do - look in to Vortex scopes. Then head here to buy: Welcome to A&A Optics Inc - Certified Vortex Dealer The owner is an INGOer and a WEALTH of information about scopes and how to buy the correct scope and mount for your purposes and within your budget.

Dustycoyote

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2017
    Somewhere
    Once again I want to thank everyone. (and tactifully fat, I've pulled up that site and will give them a call. Thanks for the optics advice)

You've all given me the info I need to decide which guns I'm really going to appreciate and feel comfortable relying on.
    It seems to me that the budget rifles in this industry seem to be made very well overall. it seems that there is some pretty overwhelming positve feedback so those guns have to be pretty good for what a good portion of the gun owning public need or want from their gun. I think, if I wasn't blessed to have the means to afford a better rifle right now, I'd be pretty comfortable owning one of these basic models.....
    But.. per the advice here and input from others, there is a real difference in the reliability and build quality of higher priced guns that is worth paying for if one values that.

even though I couldn't find a lot of info on the Sionics I went ahead and ordered that Sionics rifle kit based almost solely on the advice of Seedubs and the support for it from the group. Just went and picked up a Spikes stripped lower today from LGS. I'm trusting you Seedubs!!!

That deal on the LWRC DI also seemed to be really good at 999 and the additional research i did on BCM and LWRC really kind of sold me on the value there, so I also bought that gun from Midwest. (Adam, who helped me there was really helpful and great to work with). Thanks you Expat for the info on that deal. Very much appreciated.

I'm sure I'll have some questions as I start to build the Sionics, and I'm going to need to choose some BUIS and optics, so I'll be posting again I'm sure.Thanks to the community taking the time to give me some direction here

A follow on request I have for everyone here though.... I'll list the components that I think I need to purchase now for the guns . If anyone can give recommendations on specific products they recommend, or what info I should be looking at to make intelligent decisions, or even suggestions of items that I should buy but I don't list below, please comment. Pleaseremember that even though i bought some nice guns, I'd really like to stay as budget as is intelligent on everything. thanks,

General accessories I plan to buy;
    CMMG .22 conversion kit
    cleaning kit
    oil/lube
    ammo (good suggestions on where to get the best price?)

For the Sionics build I need to buy;
    lower receiver (I already bought a Spikes)
    buttstock (should I just buy a magpul and if so, what should I look for)
    Iron Sights
    scope
    gun case (Lockable)
    Extra mags
    ultimately I'd also like ot purchase a new complete upper for 300AAC
    I also will at some point want to buy a 7.62x39 suppressor so I can fit both teh 5.56 and the 300 uppers.

For the LWRC I need to buy;
    Scope
    iron sites
    mags
    gun carry case (lockable)

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    DIotJCah.jpg

I did not even bother with BUIS on my LWRC, if that Triji breaks I have bigger issues to worry about! So far I have used both Lancer and Magpul magazines in the LWRC and they all have worked perfectly though I do personally like the Lancer magazines the best.

On the hard case the Plano's are really good values for the money and compete very favorable against the more expensive Pelican rigs
    https://www.uline.com/Product/Detai...gclid=CKCAlOqor9QCFYQ0aQodsbAIBA&gclsrc=aw.ds

Optics: Now this just depends on what budget you are currently looking at as well as the proposed application of the rifle, I can however suggest a really nice 1-8 :rockwoot:

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Some damn fine rifles you've purchased. Should last you the rest of your life. Congrats! Read on m4carbine if you want to know more about Sionics. They're excellent.

Spikes receivers are made by Aero Precision. You did good. Those lower receivers are good to go.

If you were located close, I'd let you come over and build your lower. Check into gun clubs and stuff in your area. There is likely a bunch of people willing to help you with that lower build. You just have to seek them out. Even if you don't find anyone, it's super easy. Just read up and do it right. Any questions, just ask.

Talk to Alan at a&a. He'll set you up with what you need for glass, and is a straight shooter. He won't sell you crap you don't need and won't sell you more than you need to make an extra buck. Good dude to deal with.

Once again I want to thank everyone. (and tactifully fat, I've pulled up that site and will give them a call. Thanks for the optics advice)

You've all given me the info I need to decide which guns I'm really going to appreciate and feel comfortable relying on.
    It seems to me that the budget rifles in this industry seem to be made very well overall. it seems that there is some pretty overwhelming positve feedback so those guns have to be pretty good for what a good portion of the gun owning public need or want from their gun. I think, if I wasn't blessed to have the means to afford a better rifle right now, I'd be pretty comfortable owning one of these basic models.....
    But.. per the advice here and input from others, there is a real difference in the reliability and build quality of higher priced guns that is worth paying for if one values that.

even though I couldn't find a lot of info on the Sionics I went ahead and ordered that Sionics rifle kit based almost solely on the advice of Seedubs and the support for it from the group. Just went and picked up a Spikes stripped lower today from LGS. I'm trusting you Seedubs!!!

That deal on the LWRC DI also seemed to be really good at 999 and the additional research i did on BCM and LWRC really kind of sold me on the value there, so I also bought that gun from Midwest. (Adam, who helped me there was really helpful and great to work with). Thanks you Expat for the info on that deal. Very much appreciated.

I'm sure I'll have some questions as I start to build the Sionics, and I'm going to need to choose some BUIS and optics, so I'll be posting again I'm sure.Thanks to the community taking the time to give me some direction here

A follow on request I have for everyone here though.... I'll list the components that I think I need to purchase now for the guns . If anyone can give recommendations on specific products they recommend, or what info I should be looking at to make intelligent decisions, or even suggestions of items that I should buy but I don't list below, please comment. Pleaseremember that even though i bought some nice guns, I'd really like to stay as budget as is intelligent on everything. thanks,

General accessories I plan to buy;
    CMMG .22 conversion kit
    cleaning kit
    oil/lube
    ammo (good suggestions on where to get the best price?)

For the Sionics build I need to buy;
    lower receiver (I already bought a Spikes)
    buttstock (should I just buy a magpul and if so, what should I look for)
    Iron Sights
    scope
    gun case (Lockable)
    Extra mags
    ultimately I'd also like ot purchase a new complete upper for 300AAC
    I also will at some point want to buy a 7.62x39 suppressor so I can fit both teh 5.56 and the 300 uppers.

For the LWRC I need to buy;
    Scope
    iron sites
    mags
    gun carry case (lockable)

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Congrats on jumping in with both feet. Also, well done doing this when the guns are plentiful and prices down. We have seen tons that get to jonesing to get into ARs when the situation is the opposite. Then they overpay and have to take what they can find.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Yup. This guy just spent $1800ish for two absolutely top of the line AR's that'll last the rest of his life. If you look back to right after Sandy Hook, that $1800 wouldn't get you very far.

Congrats on jumping in with both feet. Also, well done doing this when the guns are plentiful and prices down. We have seen tons that get to jonesing to get into ARs when the situation is the opposite. Then they overpay and have to take what they can find.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Awesome, OP!
    Congrats. Those rifles will serve you very well!
    In my previous posts, i was thinking that budget was the main limiting factor, and was trying to recommend good basic rifles.
    Your choices are excellent... and welcome to the club!!!
    AR's and handguns tend to breed , so these will just be the first.

Dustycoyote

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2017
    Somewhere
    Throttetony,

You're advice in the post was spot on. I WAS looking for the best priced rifles I could find and had the idea that I wanted budget rifles. More than that though I was looking for insight and understanding into WHY I should be looking for WHAT...

Your understanding of my request, and sometimes bringing reason to the very strong opinions and feelings of the members of the board were very helpful. Without associating those opinions with my use cases and needs I would be left with a lot of opinions that I had no idea of how relevant they really were to my needs.

End of the day, I feel very good about the guns. Now I just want them to get here NOW! (Sucks to make teh decision and the purchase and then have to wait...)

So any special places I should focus on (or avoid) when looking for ammo at the best prices? any brand/type recommendations for different uses?

ammo to keep in large qty stock just in case we all become citizens of OH-****s-ville..
    ammo for practice
    etc. etc.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    You'll be very pleased with those rifles, no doubt.
    They can do anything that an ar should/could do!!

For ammo, in bulk online is best - esp if u can find shipping free/discounted. For small lots (50-250 rds), i prefer finding local sales.
    My baseline for local, small purchases is $6.xx or below for brass (20 rds, like PMC or similar), or $4.xx-5.xx for steel (Tulammo, etc) is decent.
    Online, look at slickguns, ammobot (?), ammofinder, luckygunner, midwayusa, freedom munitions, etc. Even big chains like Cabelas run good sales on ammo about twice a yr.
    Sometimes mfgs will run rebates during holidays -- this would be more for hunting/SD ammo, in my experience.

You'll enjoy building the lower, and you'll enjoy shooting the snot out of those 2 guns! !

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    You want us to start in again :-)
    I would never shoot steel cased ammo in my ARs... But that is just me.
    Some guys will tell you they shoot it all the time and it has caused no problems.

In addition to the places listed above check at sgammo.com. They always had decent prices about as low as anyone with great service. We are entering a different time now though, so I would look around at several places for sales. I think we are going to see more and more discounting. I see Midwest is putting some AK ammo on sale this week cheaper than most of the mail order places.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Throttetony,

You're advice in the post was spot on. I WAS looking for the best priced rifles I could find and had the idea that I wanted budget rifles. More than that though I was looking for insight and understanding into WHY I should be looking for WHAT...

Your understanding of my request, and sometimes bringing reason to the very strong opinions and feelings of the members of the board were very helpful. Without associating those opinions with my use cases and needs I would be left with a lot of opinions that I had no idea of how relevant they really were to my needs.

End of the day, I feel very good about the guns. Now I just want them to get here NOW! (Sucks to make teh decision and the purchase and then have to wait...)

So any special places I should focus on (or avoid) when looking for ammo at the best prices? any brand/type recommendations for different uses?

ammo to keep in large qty stock just in case we all become citizens of OH-****s-ville..
    ammo for practice
    etc. etc.

Wait till you have to wait for a suppressor or short barrel rifle.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom