• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

No, I have copies of all three expungement statutes. I was just asking if you ever heard of someone prosecuted for owning a firearm when they had an expungement from 2013 or 2014. And why are people being issued a LTCH that have 2013 and 2014 expungements if they are not a restoration?

I just don't . . . . Because of the Dual Sovereignty Doctrine, the foundation of American jurisprudence and because Indiana only prohibits firearm possession by DB and 26 different SVFs.

You are asking the distinction between state and federal law?

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I'll take that as a no you have never heard of someone prosecuted for owning a firearm when they had an expungement from 2013 or 2014. And no you don't know why people are being issued a LTCH that have 2013 and 2014 expungements.

Talking to lawyers…like pulling teeth to get a simple yes or no. :D

I learned a long time ago that you cannot get a "simple yes or no" because there are NO simple yes or no questions when dealing with laws. Unique circumstances that come in a myriad of forms can and will alter the answer to the question.

Combine with this the fact that many times we don't phrase questions appropriately and know how to ask a "simple" question requires lawyers to seek clarity by asking their own questions to get at the heart of what we are really asking.

One time during a finance class I just could not get it through my head how you could PROFIT from buying a stock that is going to lose value, by short selling it. It took lots of patience from the professor to reword the explanation several times and me mulling it over for a week (or two) before comprehending the mechanism of making money on something expected to lose value.

Regards,

Doug

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    It's always fun to have someone ask an attorney a question, and then argue with the attorney about the answer.

Although I'm not saying that's the case here, many times people are seeking validation instead of real answers.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I'll take that as a no you have never heard of someone prosecuted for owning a firearm when they had an expungement from 2013 or 2014. And no you don't know why people are being issued a LTCH that have 2013 and 2014 expungements.

Talking to lawyers…like pulling teeth to get a simple yes or no. :D

That's because the law can be complicated and is not an L. Neil Smith fantasy.

Yes, I have had people with Version 1.0 expungements prosecuted and threatened with prosecution. I went back in, set aside the expunction order, fixed the problem, and then re-did the expungment.

It was long, expensive and made the client mad that they listened to someone with "common sense".

I am happy Indiana has it corrected now. If they would have listened to me several years ago, this issue would not have transpired. But everyone is just so much smarter than me, the guy doing this for 22 years, just ask them.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne

Yes, I have had people with Version 1.0 expungements prosecuted and threatened with prosecution. I went back in, set aside the expunction order, fixed the problem, and then re-did the expungment.

It was long, expensive and made the client mad that they listened to someone with "common sense".

I am happy Indiana has it corrected now. If they would have listened to me several years ago, this issue would not have transpired. But everyone is just so much smarter than me, the guy doing this for 22 years, just ask them.

Can I interest you into running for office and setting things aright from the inside...?

STARCOM

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2017
    SW Indiana

Kirk, are you deceptive in your claims about expungement? Does the confusion = more money in your pockets thought more clients? I think there is MORE to the story in regard to prosecutions. Did any prosecutions you speak of happened after the BATFE changed their tune, was domestic violence an issue, violent felony, methamphetamines, an arrest for “something else” that brought about legal trouble, was it an IC 35-38-9-7 level expungement as a posed to an IC 35-38-9-6 level expungement…etc.

Give the case so people can read the details on Doxpop or equivalent…otherwise it’s just something a lawyer claims…
    Please answer like a non-lawyer. Your answers are like a politician…which never gives direct answers. :)

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Give the case so people can read the details on Doxpop or equivalent…otherwise it’s just something a lawyer claims…
    Please answer like a non-lawyer. Your answers are like a politician…which never gives direct answers. :)

Give details about an expunged case? No. Absolutely not. Don't be foolish.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Please understand that there is a tremendous amount of misinformation when it comes to gun law.

To the gun culture at large, it's like 8th grade boys talking about sex. No one really knows anything but they are very enthused by the prospect.

People have a general outline of certain things but then use gap-fillers such as Boston T. Party or L. Neil Smith books to fill in their knowledge.

The matter you brought up with the 2 year old DoJ letter was a minefield. I am very happy that this has been de-mined now but it helps no one in the gun culture to create unnecessary confusion over the legal history of Indiana's expungement statue. It was less than optimal. Now, it is much better.

People bring me "magic swords" and "magic bullets" all the time. Remember, the legal Occam's Razor is "it depends".

Stay, Star. Stay and participate and learn. That's why we are all here. The N in INGO stands for knowledge.:D

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Please understand that there is a tremendous amount of misinformation when it comes to gun law.

To the gun culture at large, it's like 8th grade boys talking about sex. No one really knows anything but they are very enthused by the prospect.

People have a general outline of certain things but then use gap-fillers such as Boston T. Party or L. Neil Smith books to fill in their knowledge.

The matter you brought up with the 2 year old DoJ letter was a minefield. I am very happy that this has been de-mined now but it helps no one in the gun culture to create unnecessary confusion over the legal history of Indiana's expungement statue. It was less than optimal. Now, it is much better.

People bring me "magic swords" and "magic bullets" all the time. Remember, the legal Occam's Razor is "it depends".

Stay, Star. Stay and participate and learn. That's why we are all here. The N in INGO stands for knowledge.:D

I'm using that last line in my sig line. Thanks.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

At the risk of committing a Denny, the 'N' is the second letter in the state abbreviation for *iNdiana*

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    giphy.gif

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Hey, I just wanted to get *in* this thread. It seemed like it'd be better than posting popcorn.

Top Bottom